U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 11:49 AM

86,920 posts, read 102,388,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
There is a post on this very board with someone asking how you could buy a baby for $50 in India.

The abuses and the child trafficking are very real. It's wrong to deny it. Gravely wrong. And many Christians abuse their adopted children although it's hard to establish real numbers because a lot of abuse flies under the radar. But there have been documented cases of Christians who beat or starved their adopted children to death following the teachings of the "Michael Pearl Christian ministry".

And I agree with that poster. Christians in general seem heavily obsessed with international adoption to the point where it's almost a mental illness.
Oh, come on! I suggest reading this:
https://www.christianitytoday.com/ne...ster-care.html
"About 4 in 10 Protestant churchgoers say their congregation has been involved with adoption or foster care in the past year, according to LifeWay Research. . . Seventeen percent say someone from their church has adopted a child from the US in the past year. Fifteen percent say someone from their church has adopted a child from another country. . . Still, church leaders in general donít talk much about adoption."

My allowable three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 01:41 PM

9,240 posts, read 3,570,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
. . Still, church leaders in general donít talk much about adoption."

My allowable three.
I disagree. Church leaders talk about and promote adoption ad nauseum. A huge number of adoption agencies are religiously (Christian) based. Modern adoption, as we know it in the USA, was founded by Christians of various denominations for the purpose of Christianizing children of indigenous peoples such as the Native Americans. They then began extending that to other countries in the latter half of the twentieth century. Many countries have seen an increase in child trafficking and other illegal activities due to adoption programs and have closed them down.

Old 05-26-2018, 02:43 PM

259 posts, read 158,516 times
Quote:
I disagree. Church leaders talk about and promote adoption ad nauseum. A huge number of adoption agencies are religiously (Christian) based. Modern adoption, as we know it in the USA, was founded by Christians of various denominations for the purpose of Christianizing children of indigenous peoples such as the Native Americans. They then began extending that to other countries in the latter half of the twentieth century. Many countries have seen an increase in child trafficking and other illegal activities due to adoption programs and have closed them down.
What era are you referencing for modern adoption? From 2015 onward many Christian agencies have been shut down. Catholics Charities, Lutheran Ministries, and the Church of Latter Day Saints.

Mormon church drops adoption business - The Salt Lake Tribune

More Illinois Catholic Charities Stop Adoptions in Wake of New Law

Boston Catholic Charities Stop Adoptions Because of Gay Parent Law | Fox News

https://www.christianpost.com/news/a...m-down-220719/

So which modern adoption agencies are you referring too?

Old 05-26-2018, 04:00 PM

3,876 posts, read 2,724,527 times
Quote:
I disagree. Church leaders talk about and promote adoption ad nauseum. .
You keep saying this.

Even if church leaders DID encourage adoption "ad nauseum" it wouldn't be a negative thing.

What you know about your particular church, its pastor and its practices have nothing to do with other churches, please stop portraying church members who adopt as evil.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
OK, you disagree. I've disagreed with research before as well. But you do need to back up what you're saying. You can't expect us just to believe that you have the Holy Grail. Here's Wikipedia, which is pretty neutral.
"Infertility is the main reason parents seek to adopt children they are not related to. One study shows this accounted for 80% of unrelated infant adoptions and half of adoptions through foster care. . . Although there are a range of possible reasons, the most recent study of experiences of women who adopt suggests they are most likely to be 40Ė44 years of age, currently married, have impaired fertility, and childless."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adoption

Adoptive parents want to have a family. They're not SJWs out to save kids for Jesus, etc.

Old 05-26-2018, 05:58 PM

Wikipedia is just not a reliable source at all. It can be edited by anyone, at any time.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Wikipedia is just not a reliable source at all. It can be edited by anyone, at any time.
It has references. You don't want to admit you're wrong.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:26 AM

3,169 posts, read 1,887,867 times
The "orphans" movement/adoption push hasn't infiltrated every single sect of Christianity. But, in certain sects, it has become very prominent. That would explain the difference in some people knowing some (or a lot) of church folks who are almost obsessed with adoption, and others knowing very few. There is no question, though, that this has become a movement in some (typically very Evangelical right wing) churches. And it absolutely has caused some bad outcomes due to people adopting for the wrong reasons.

Quote:
Adoptive parents want to have a family. They're not SJWs out to save kids for Jesus, etc.
While I believe this is true for a great many adoptive parents, and most likely a big majority of them (it is certainly true for me and for all of the friends I have who are adoptive parents, but I wouldn't remain friends with people who were adopting for saviorism), there is a disturbingly large contingent of families for whom it is absolutely true.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
The "orphans" movement/adoption push hasn't infiltrated every single sect of Christianity. But, in certain sects, it has become very prominent. That would explain the difference in some people knowing some (or a lot) of church folks who are almost obsessed with adoption, and others knowing very few. There is no question, though, that this has become a movement in some (typically very Evangelical right wing) churches. And it absolutely has caused some bad outcomes due to people adopting for the wrong reasons. .
Sure, not everywhere. But it's prevalent in the Presbyterian church I attend. I would call it an obsession, an unhealthy one in some ways. Adoption is considered a "ministry" to bring otherwise lost souls to Christ. They also have a group that goes onto college campuses to find young, pregnant women to pressure them to give up their babies for adoption. This is under the guise of offering them "help". But that help comes in the form of simply pressuring them to give up their child and offering them some free STD testing. (And I have no idea why they assume someone has an STD simply because they have an unplanned pregnancy). This group has already been banned from one college campus that I know of.

Old 05-27-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
It has references. You don't want to admit you're wrong.
Wikipedia is a very unreliable source. It can edited any time, by anyone. Many professors in colleges don't even allow students to use Wikipedia as a resource in writing term papers. There's a reason for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption