Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2018, 07:01 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,835,887 times

Advertisements

Hi!
So glad I found this forum. Just started reading about international adoptions on rainbow kids website. The information is overwhelming & I need some advice from couples who have successfully adopted kids outside usa. I spoke to a local adoption agency & trying to figure out if I can cut the cost by doing some of the process by myself instead of going through them. Still reading about it but want to hear about your experiences with international adoptions.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 12:44 PM

16,522 posts, read 10,561,180 times
We went through an agency. NO WAY would I have attempted to do it on my own. The amount of red tape is overwhelming, and of course you're dealing with two sets of bureaucracies: here in the U.S. and there in the other country. Not to mention, the language barrier will be an issue, unless you speak the language of the country from which you're considering adoption. And then let's think about the greater likelihood that a do-it-yourselfer, lacking the knowledge of the ins and outs of the process, might run afoul of scammers.

So, unless you happen to be an expert on the nuts and bolts of international adoption, I wouldn't recommend going it alone.

Old 08-08-2018, 02:12 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,835,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
We went through an agency. NO WAY would I have attempted to do it on my own. The amount of red tape is overwhelming, and of course you're dealing with two sets of bureaucracies: here in the U.S. and there in the other country. Not to mention, the language barrier will be an issue, unless you speak the language of the country from which you're considering adoption. And then let's think about the greater likelihood that a do-it-yourselfer, lacking the knowledge of the ins and outs of the process, might run afoul of scammers.

So, unless you happen to be an expert on the nuts and bolts of international adoption, I wouldn't recommend going it alone.
Thanks. I agree with you 100%. It is expensive but I think the cost eliminates lot of unnecessary effort.

Going to start another thread for reliable agencies.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:46 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,872,441 times
My relatives who adopted from Ukraine did it themselves, but used a professional "facilitator" in-country, whom they learned about through friends who had adopted from Ukraine. He spoke English, translated, knew the ropes, made appointments and helped cut through legal red tape, obtained an apartment, train tickets, knew where to shop for groceries, and served as a guide in a variety of ways. They were very grateful for his services.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:19 AM

822 posts, read 767,134 times
What Craig Creek says, in Russia you could hire attorneys instead of an agency. We just liked having contacts on both sides of the process.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:50 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,872,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark01 View Post
What Craig Creek says, in Russia you could hire attorneys instead of an agency. We just liked having contacts on both sides of the process.
Alas, American citizens are presently banned from adopting from Russia, Putin's vengeful response to the Magnitsky Act. Ukraine is still open, however, and most of the country is quite safe - just keep out of Crimea and far eastern Ukraine, where Putin's goons are still making life both miserable and dangerous (most of the orphanages in eastern Ukraine were evacuated four years ago and the children relocated to safer areas).

Adoption from Ukraine requires two trips. The first trip can range from a week or two to many weeks, depending on whether the parents hope to adopt a known child or children or are doing a "blind adoption", which involves going through reams of records at the central adoption headquarters in Kyiv, then traveling to meet the child to see if he or she is as described (many are not) and if the fit is right. Most families are authorized to adopt children of a certain age range and a certain number of children, so making both as broad as possible is recommended, in case a previously unknown sibling turns up.

All this must be done by appointment, which can again slow things down. Most families rent a furnished apartment in Kyiv for a week rather than get a more costly hotel room. In country, it can vary, depending on what's available. Flexibility is key. Most travel of any distance is done by train (Ukraine is the largest country in Europe and distances can be vast).

If all goes well and the adoption proceeds and is successful, it is followed by a ten-day waiting period following an adoption court, to see if anyone objects to the adoption. Most parents come home during the ten days to better prepare for the child or children's arrival, while the child or children remain in the orphanage.

Most orphanages allow new parents to give the children toys or clothing, etc. during this time, but both may disappear...given away or stolen by corrupt staff for their own purposes. Or if the staff is honest and caring, the child may have considerably more - small toys, keepsakes, baptismal certificates, etc.

Be prepared to dress a newly adopted child from the skin out, including underwear, shoes and socks, coats and hats and scarves and gloves if it's winter, and provide several changes of clothing as well, including pajamas, etc., plus toiletries and small toys to help occupy the many hours of waiting which remain - everything they wore in the orphanage will be recycled for other children. My young relatives left with small tote bags of personal possessions they were allowed to take with them - most of which had just been given to them by their new parents. I think one of the children was allowed to take their toothbrush...

Upon returning to Ukraine after the ten days are up, there are lots of legal hoops still remaining to jump through, most of them Ukrainian but also a doctor check-up for the child in order to qualify for admission to the United States, plus other American regulations which require adoptive families and their new kids to spend a few days in Kyiv. Fortunately, there's usually enough time between appointments to do some sight-seeing and Kyiv is a beautiful city, with lots of interest for families and children to see and do.

With all these requirements plus a language barrier, cultural differences, etc., a good facilitator can be worth his or her weight in gold. Not only do they handle appointments, accommodations, travel, and translate, but they also travel with the family much of the time. My relatives remain in contact with their facilitator, twelve years later.

Eventually all the requirements are completed, and the new family can fly home. The children become American citizens as soon as their feet touch American soil, but most families, particularly these days, also confirm their citizenship by going through an American adoption court and also by obtaining Social Security cards for the children as soon as possible.

This sounds like a lot, but the results make it so worth it. Good luck with your adoption plans.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:55 PM

822 posts, read 767,134 times
Agree the results are worth the effort. Our daughter we adopted in 2001 started classes this week at Texas A&M university to major in Bio-medical Engineering. So proud of our Russian princess. If she was still in Siberia, she would have been put on the street a year ago. So many of these children need forever families.

Old 09-29-2018, 09:11 AM

322 posts, read 316,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
My relatives who adopted from Ukraine did it themselves, but used a professional "facilitator" in-country, whom they learned about through friends who had adopted from Ukraine. He spoke English, translated, knew the ropes, made appointments and helped cut through legal red tape, obtained an apartment, train tickets, knew where to shop for groceries, and served as a guide in a variety of ways. They were very grateful for his services.
I'm not sure what year this adoption occurred, but couples starting their adoption process in 2018 will have to comply with:

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...of-2012-2.html

So under this law, any adoption professional working on international adoption will have to be Hague certified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption