Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 05:05 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times

Advertisements

I think it was common for kids to get them in 7th or 8th grade. This was in Florida in middle school (public schools). I think you got them around age 13 so maybe one of those grades.

I was in private school so I missed this; had to go to work at age 14 and had to get one and I remember my sibs all showing me theirs b/c they had gotten theirs!

My husband grew up in Miami and he got his in 7th grade and he still has the original, all laminated.

However, by the 80's, you got them when your children were born. So much easier!!

I'm sorry all that happened, OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 05:12 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times
For human trafficking, you would need to prove that you as a child was transported for the purpose of exploitation/slavery.

Bad or even violent adoptive parents wouldn't meet that bar nor would a biological parent who simply gave a child up. Simply the situation which involves someone leaving a child to the system to be adopted later isn't trafficking and, as some people already posted, was common in that time period. By those measures, the entire foster system falls under human trafficking... it is not.

Either way... it is a sad story and I'm sorry you had to go through it.

There is many resources online that explain the distinguishing factors:

https://humantraffickingcenter.org/t...d-trafficking/

"In order to be qualify as human trafficking, three criteria must be met – Act, Means, and Purpose. Illegal and fraudulent adoption only has the first two of these three required elements. Though there definitely can be individual instances found in which all three qualifications apply, generally the child is not considered to be exploited. "

Again... it is a terrible story.. many people have similar childhoods from their biological families... However, the lack of understanding of human trafficking (ie... equating prostitution to human trafficking and also ignoring other forms of it) as well as throwing it around casually doesn't do service to those who are truly trafficked.

Last edited by usayit; 04-26-2019 at 05:26 PM..

Old 04-27-2019, 07:32 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,122,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjcohen View Post

After years of just denial this thought came to me but I think I should have sued my adoptive parents for this. Thoughts?

What would you be trying to achieve by suing? Send someone to jail? Shame them? Or just get money?

Old 04-27-2019, 09:54 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,902,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I disagree with this in many ways. Child trafficking is still wrong no matter how badly someone wants to have a child or how good of a home they can provide for the child. There is a sense of loss for the person who was taken from their birth parents, something that perhaps many non-adopted people can't understand.
I never said child trafficking wasn't wrong and I can certainly imagine the sense of loss.

However, I did somehow miss the part where he said he grew up in a violent home- I wouldn't have asked the question I did if I had read more carefully, so my fault there.

On the plus side, the OP said "at 62, I'm passed all that" which is a good thing for him mentally, so I would still say there isn't much to be gained for him here in terms of revisiting bygones. And he says he does know who his biological parents are/were.

Old 04-28-2019, 06:20 AM

82 posts, read 78,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjcohen View Post
Oh, I am much past all that at my age of 62.
So why dwell on the thoughts of legal action?

The past is the past. You can't change it. You don't even know if the stories you heard are completely accurate. After all this time, I'd almost guarantee you couldn't prove any of it to a court.

So you waste time and money (assuming you could find a lawyer who would persue the action). You bring up old wounds for all involved (including yourself). Then you probably lose. In the rare event you "win" a lawsuit, you get nothing that would possibly change your situation (in other words, you still lose, even if you win.)

If you are past that, stay past that. You can't change yesterday, but you have complete control over tomorrow.

Quote:
I found all my answers and feel blessed.
And you are blessed to have the information. Some of us spend considerable time and effort (and money) to get NO answers. All because some people in black robes (judges) decide we don't have the same rights as everyone else to access OUR OWN information.

Old 04-28-2019, 02:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You know what doesn't ring true in this story?

NO kid in the 1950s had an SS#. Up until the 80s, most people did not apply for an SS# until they needed one for working papers. I got mine at 16. I was born in 1958.

Schools did not require children to have a SS# in the 50s.
All true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption