U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 10:18 AM

164 posts, read 174,246 times

Advertisements

Long story short but I was basically a product of human trafficking in 1956. Bio-mother and her husband just handed me over outside hospital to my LATER adoptive parents. They heard of a boy being born and made arrangements all not legal.
At age 5 I was "Legally adopted" by my human traffickers.. I had a bad childhood growing up in a violent home. I am just fine after 62 years on earth and blessed with my own family including 6 grandchildren.

After years of just denial this thought came to me but I think I should have sued my adoptive parents for this. Thoughts?

footnote: I found my bio maternal and paternal sides years later..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 03:00 PM

6,371 posts, read 2,285,056 times
Just for the sake of argument...why not sue your bio parents as well? They were as complicit in an illegal adoption as your adoptive parents were.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:36 PM

Thought of that....your right. Too bad I thought about this years later and after they passed! (<:

Old 04-24-2019, 04:51 PM

9,880 posts, read 3,931,322 times
I don't believe it was illegal for a biological parent to relinquish their baby to the care of others. That was done ALL THE TIME - often involving teen moms, but sometimes older moms who couldn't care for their children.

It still happens now. Mothers will have a baby and then give it to their aunt or mother to raise, and walk away. It's the caregiver who is at risk in these cases, because the mother can just come and take the child back if no legal steps are taken.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:16 PM

9,126 posts, read 3,537,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjcohen View Post
footnote: I found my bio maternal and paternal sides years later..........
Did they say they voluntarily gave you up, but it wasn't done through the proper legal avenues?

Old 04-25-2019, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Did they say they voluntarily gave you up, but it wasn't done through the proper legal avenues?
My father was a NY police officer (1950's). Heard about a baby being born and to be given up. I was a product of an affair bio-mother had. Long story short, born and just handed over outside hospital to a husband and wife (later adoptive parents). They even had a false birth certificate.

When I was 5 years old are to be enrolled in school, I did not have a SS #. Husband and wife with attorney presented case to a judge (all closed doors) for my adoption. Judge ordered a investigative search and legal posting in newspaper looking for bio-parents. Investigators found bio-parents but husband basically threw them out claiming his wife (my bio-mother was very ill). Having some police connections back then, investigators told judge bio-parents could not be located.

I was then legally adopted at age 5. I remember that day in court. The false birth certificate had a birthdate 6 months prior to my actual birthdate. For some reason my adoptive parents continued to use that date for me and I was told by adoptive mother at age 20 my actual birthdate was 6 months prior! This is after obtaining a drivers license and enlisting into the military (all having that birthdate).

Anyway, my adopted brother and sister (separate families) were legally adopted as infants and through an agency in NY that vetted the parents, etc etc. gain, I was a pre-arranged unwanted non-vetted hand over baby.
I would think bio-mother could have been charged for child abandonment and adoptive parents charged for human trafficking....(what ever that legal term back then would have been).

Old 04-25-2019, 10:56 PM

55,581 posts, read 54,188,638 times
You know what doesn't ring true in this story?

Quote:
When I was 5 years old are to be enrolled in school, I did not have a SS #.
NO kid in the 1950s had an SS#. Up until the 80s, most people did not apply for an SS# until they needed one for working papers. I got mine at 16. I was born in 1958.

Schools did not require children to have a SS# in the 50s.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:35 AM

6,809 posts, read 2,779,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

NO kid in the 1950s had an SS#. Up until the 80s, most people did not apply for an SS# until they needed one for working papers. I got mine at 16. I was born in 1958.

I was also born in the 1950s. I signed my original SS card. My siblings, also born in the 50s, signed theirs. Obviously our parents didn't just obtain the cards or numbers when we were born!!

Old 04-26-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Well that was the story my mother to this day at age 91 claims. This is not atypical of adoptive parents to make up such stories. Thats another issue that adoptees have is having misinformation by adoptive parents. I know it sounds od but true.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:43 AM

55,581 posts, read 54,188,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjcohen View Post
Well that was the story my mother to this day at age 91 claims. This is not atypical of adoptive parents to make up such stories. Thats another issue that adoptees have is having misinformation by adoptive parents. I know it sounds od but true.
I am sorry if that was true for you, but I am not sure it is not atypical. I can't imagine my sister making up fake stories to tell my niece.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or