Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 09:10 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

Couple claims 6-year-old girl they adopted from Ukraine is actually adult woman determined to kill them

An American couple who adopted their daughter in 2010 believing she was 6 years old says they believe she's actually an adult woman posing as a child — and that she's hell-bent on killing them.

Kristine Barnett, 45, and her now-ex-husband Michael Barnett, 43, were recently charged with felony neglect of a dependent after abandoning their adopted daughter, Natalia, who suffers from a rare form of dwarfism, in their Indiana home and fleeing to Canada in 2013 to start a new life with their three biological children.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/couple-cl...164345446.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 09:13 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Bait and switch is common in overseas adoption

Old 10-10-2019, 09:51 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Dear God. No words.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:07 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
In the article it says doctors later determined the girl is actually about 8.

Weird story but not as the headline characterizes.

Old 10-19-2019, 11:55 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,662,714 times
I just wonder why the first couple that adopted her, later relinquished her. The Barnett’s are actually her second placement. Lots of controversy surrounding the testing that determined she was 8. The thread in Current Affairs has a lot more detail.

Old 10-24-2019, 08:29 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
The parents said she was 22 years old. She doesn't look that old at all.

Old 10-24-2019, 08:39 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
I'm sorry, they must have watched the movie Orphan too mant times.

Kate and John Coleman's marriage is strained... The couple adopt a nine-year-old Russian girl, Esther, from the local orphanage. While their five-year-old deaf-mute daughter Max embraces Esther almost immediately, their 12-year-old son Daniel is less welcoming. Kate bonds with Esther as she teaches her piano, and reconciles with John.

After Sister Abigail, the head of the orphanage, warns Kate of bad things happening when Esther is around, Esther kills the nun with a hammer and pushes her body into a ditch, hiding the evidence in Daniel's treehouse.

When Daniel learns about Sister Abigail's death from Max and searches the treehouse, Esther sets it on fire, causing Daniel to fall and be knocked unconscious. Esther attempts to kill him but is stopped by Max. While Daniel is in the hospital, Esther smothers him with a pillow but he is revived. Realizing what Esther did, Kate attacks her but is restrained and sedated. That night, Esther attempts to seduce a drunk John, who realizes that Kate was right.

Kate gets a call from Dr. Varava, and learns that Esther is actually a 33-year-old named Leena Klammer. She has hypopituitarism, a condition that stunted her physical growth and caused proportional dwarfism, and has spent most of her life posing as a little girl. Leena has murdered at least seven people, including the last family that adopted her after failing to seduce the husband.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:30 AM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
This is supposed to be on Dr Phil tomorrow, I believe. From the promos, she certainly doesn't look like a child to me.

Old 11-08-2019, 04:36 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Newest article after Dr Phil

Couple who took in Ukranian dwarf after she was abandoned by her adoptive parents insist she is a 'genuine and loving girl' and not an 'adult sociopath masquerading as a child'

I think she's older then she says but I don't think she's 30.

There's no way she lived alone if she was the younger age. The family she's been living with is saying she doesn't have a period; she probably has a Mirena IUD from a clinic that stopped her period.

She needs a full work up by a doctor that specializes in little people. They also should run bloodwork to check for hormones or do an ultrasound to see if she has an IUD. Something isn't adding up.

I do think she terrorized the other family. I think she's been good with this one because she knows she has no where to go if she tries anything with them. I think she was a typical teen with the other family; with raging teen hormones. Many girls get crazy in their teen years; especially kids that are adopted. It's when a lot of adoptees feel like their mother gave them away. They don't understand why they weren't kept.

EXCLUSIVE: 'She tried to kill us!' Indiana mother who adopted 6-year-old Ukrainian girl with dwarfism has been charged with abandonment but claims her 'daughter' was found to be a 22-year old 'sociopath' masquerading as a child

Couple claims 6-year-old girl they adopted from Ukraine is actually adult woman determined to kill them

Child abandonment or murderous scam? Bizarre case of Ukrainian adoption gone wrong

Old 11-08-2019, 08:39 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
I just wonder why the first couple that adopted her, later relinquished her. The Barnett’s are actually her second placement. Lots of controversy surrounding the testing that determined she was 8. The thread in Current Affairs has a lot more detail.
I wonder too. Someone just posted it in current events but I could have swore there was an older thread. I searched 3 pages but didn't find it.

The mother was giving her a bath when they 1st got her, noticed that she had full pubic hair. Of course she was shocked because she thought she was adopting a 6 year old when there was evidence to show she was at least a teenager. In addition to full pubic hair, the girl didn't like dolls and toys, wanted to be friends with teenagers and had an advanced vocabulary that was not typical of someone 6. It says she also had no foreign accent, they had asked a Ukrainian friend to speak in their native language, the girl couldn't understand it and she could not describe her homeland either. Then there's the fact that they were told she can't even walk but wanted to go in the water when they went to the ocean. They told her they would take her in a few minutes but she couldn't wait, she not only walked to the ocean, she ran. Here they thought she couldn't walk at all!

The Barnetts had her in a psychiatric hospital which she was discharged from in August 2012. They then rented an apartment for her under the supervision of state healthcare provider, Aspire Indiana. They helped her get a social security number, got her social security income, food stamps and an ID. At this point she had lived by herself a few years. There's no way an 8 year old could have done that.

Unfortunately, adoption records are sealed until a court decides they want to look at them. I feel there are things the place they got her from didn't tell them because they wouldn't have taken her if they told them why they had to get there ASAP to pick her up after her other adoptive family brought her back. I bet she was bad in that adoption house and the foster place knew she couldn't stay with the rest of the kids because she was abusive. I'll be shocked if they didn't know she had full pubic hair

EXCLUSIVE: 'She tried to kill us!' Indiana mother who adopted 6-year-old Ukrainian girl with dwarfism has been charged with abandonment but claims her 'daughter' was found to be a 22-year old 'sociopath' masquerading as a child

Quote:
Police say the girl was left to fend for herself for three years

doctors all confirmed she was suffering a severe psychological illness only diagnosed in adults.

‘She was jumping out of moving cars.

Given just 24-hours to complete an emergency adoption

They gleaned precious few details of her background: Natalia had been in the US for two years... needed a home immediately because her previous adoptive parents suddenly gave her up - for undisclosed reasons.

didn’t want to press them for information on what had gone wrong...

... she couldn't walk...

..Natalia wanted to be carried into the ocean..

she just got up and ran into the ocean.... She couldn’t walk a second ago and now she just got up and ran.’
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption