Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 07:18 AM

797 posts, read 2,986,492 times

Advertisements

because their "too old to look after them" at 46 and 59.

Two young children are to be adopted by a gay couple, despite the protests of their grandparents.
The devastated grandparents were told they would never see the youngsters again unless they dropped their opposition.
The couple, who cannot be named, wanted to give the five-year-old boy and his four-year-old sister a loving home themselves. But they were ruled to be too old - at 46 and 59.

read more... (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1130066/They-say-old-care-grandchildren-Social-workers-hand-siblings-gay-men-adoption.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 07:21 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,593,756 times
Interesting story, but I doubt all the facts are reported.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:44 AM

512 posts, read 711,563 times
Sounds like a gaybashing thread to me. Why does it matter that those adopting the children are gay?

Old 01-28-2009, 08:16 AM

2,855 posts, read 10,402,040 times
i dont think its gaybashing. It's a sad story.
The grandparents should always have precedence over anyone NON related.
Secondly, if their WERE non gay couples interested in adopting the children you would think that would be in the best interest to have a mother figure especially considering they were saying the girl is wary of men. If their were NO other couples interested AND the grandparents did not want the children then i would have no problem with two men adopting them....
but to me it does not seem whats best for the children.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornOKThe1stTime View Post
Sounds like a gaybashing thread to me. Why does it matter that those adopting the children are gay?
NOT even close, I was taken by the age factor. Why shouldn't the kids stay with their grandparents? Family first!

Old 01-28-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
i dont think its gaybashing. It's a sad story.
The grandparents should always have precedence over anyone NON related.
Secondly, if their WERE non gay couples interested in adopting the children you would think that would be in the best interest to have a mother figure especially considering they were saying the girl is wary of men. If their were NO other couples interested AND the grandparents did not want the children then i would have no problem with two men adopting them....
but to me it does not seem whats best for the children.
Thanks KH02, you said it better than I did.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:24 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,593,756 times
Like I said, maybe there are other factors to consider. It's like how people got all worked up about CPS taking the white supremacist children, thinking that the thought police had stepped in and abducted the children from an otherwise happy home. All the articles about it say right there that CPS can't talk about the case, so it's useless to speculate. This article seems just as cagey. We don't know why the kids were taken, or why the gay couple was chosen over the others. It's just sensationalist reporting.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:24 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,334,284 times
The tragedy of the case is that the kids were taken away from the grandparents.

The fact that they were given to a gay couple is irrelevant, IMO.

Isn't the "Mail" like a tabloid over there? (Yes, this isn't in the US)

Old 01-28-2009, 08:44 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,056,555 times
What struck me first is that no names were given, so this story can not possibly be investigated to prove it's anything but a story.

Second, it isn't even in this country, it sounds like Scotland (Edinburgh), or England. Laws are different.

Third, it didn't seem the ages of the grandparents were as much factors as their health (The grandfather with heart problems, the grandmother with diabetes).

And as far as the grandparents accepting it, can you imagine hard difficult it would be for the kids if Grandma and Grandpa were to visit and cry over their situation and not be supportive? The kids would NEVER adjust.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:46 AM

512 posts, read 711,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noplacelikeWA View Post
NOT even close, I was taken by the age factor. Why shouldn't the kids stay with their grandparents? Family first!
I can see that. Then why even mention that the adopting couple is gay? Why is it relevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption