U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 02:06 AM

28,192 posts, read 47,516,886 times

Advertisements

Look out, Madonna and Angelina Jolie pop star Elton John has decided he wants to join the ranks of A-list celebrities with adopted children.

But it's not clear if John, 62, will be able to adopt, and the Rocket Man star has not yet started formal proceedings, which are often long and complicated.

Elton John Wants to Adopt Ukrainian Toddler - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 06:04 AM

4,760 posts, read 4,015,799 times
Adopting foreign orphans is the latest trend among the stars. I have little faith in their sincerity - they just have enough money to do it and then hand the kids off to a nanny while milking the publicity for all it's worth. The kids are being used as fashion accessories and little more in the eyes of the celebrity. I can't imagine EJ changing diapers beyond a few times after he finds that it can be an unpleasant experience, or learning to not flinch when a toddler with an upset stomach spews vomit all over him and then calmly cleaning up with a smile on his face - not when a nanny can be tasked to handle these chores. And I think the same applies to Angelina Jolie and/or Madonna.

"Sorry folks, I have to cancel the concert/appearance because my little one's sick and it's my responsibility as his/her parent to be there rather than assign a hired nanny to do so." - IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN! (And yes, I've cancelled business appointments and meetings when my daughter needed me.)

I do hope it works out well for the children involved. For them, it's likely better than the future they face in the orphanage, but this new life will come with problems of it's own.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:47 AM

3,566 posts, read 4,610,742 times
I have no problem with Elton John adopting because of celebrity status. I think that if he dies then he this child comes into a financial resource that most kids do not.

I do have a problem with adopting at the age of 62. One of the problems that I encounter is adoptive parents, often grandmother's or great aunts, find that when the child hits their teens and begins acting out they can't control the kids anymore. Or, they become ill and cannot care for the kids or die and the kids wind up with an aunt who doesn't give a crap or back in the system.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:01 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,503,317 times
This story makes me sad. My husband and I have been trying to adopt for over a year now (domestic) and we've had no luck. The adoption agency has basically told us that it's nearly impossible to get a child under 10 and that we are not at the top of the list when that rare child does become available because we already have kids.

And because we don't have money (my husband works in social service and I stay home with the kids), we can't buy a baby or go overseas. However, if you do have money, like these celebrities, it's a different story- no matter your home situation, background or morals you can have a kid whenever you feel like it.

I'm more than upset with the whole system.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:30 AM

3,566 posts, read 4,610,742 times
Well, you can have a kid, you just don't like the pickin's.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:46 PM

16,487 posts, read 21,015,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway29south View Post
This story makes me sad. My husband and I have been trying to adopt for over a year now (domestic) and we've had no luck. The adoption agency has basically told us that it's nearly impossible to get a child under 10 and that we are not at the top of the list when that rare child does become available because we already have kids.

And because we don't have money (my husband works in social service and I stay home with the kids), we can't buy a baby or go overseas. However, if you do have money, like these celebrities, it's a different story- no matter your home situation, background or morals you can have a kid whenever you feel like it.

I'm more than upset with the whole system.
I think the remark about it being impossible to get a child under 10 is very wrong. People in the US adopt newborns everyday. Unfortunately it can be very expensive and that can be what keeps people from being sucessful. I would put your energy into trying to find a birthmother on your own, that is what I did. Make up adoption business cards and and place them wherever there are billboards. Mail some to friends and family and ask that they do the same. If you have not already, make up a profile about yourselves. Write about how you and your husband met, your hobbies and interests, why you are adopting, about extended family, your jobs, your hopes for your child one day etc. Include color photos of your home, the nursery if it is ready, yourselves, family outings, pets etc. Contact alternative schools and pregnancy crisis centers and see if they will keep a copy of this profile. Also call your ob/gyn and see if they will keep a copy for any girl contemplating adoption. If you are allowed to advertise in your state you can put an ad in the newspaper or throw away paper. Do not wait for your agency to help, it sounds like it will be a long time, if ever, that you hear from them about a baby. Make it work for yourself. I did this and connected with a birthmom that was 5 mos. pregnant. I arrived at the hospital, in another state, the day she was born, so I have been with her from the beginning. She is 6 now and a real blessing to our family. Good luck.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:38 PM

19,020 posts, read 25,472,581 times
Looks like he can't

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Elton 'cannot adopt in Ukraine'

Old 09-14-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I think the remark about it being impossible to get a child under 10 is very wrong. People in the US adopt newborns everyday. Unfortunately it can be very expensive and that can be what keeps people from being sucessful. I would put your energy into trying to find a birthmother on your own, that is what I did. Make up adoption business cards and and place them wherever there are billboards. Mail some to friends and family and ask that they do the same. If you have not already, make up a profile about yourselves. Write about how you and your husband met, your hobbies and interests, why you are adopting, about extended family, your jobs, your hopes for your child one day etc. Include color photos of your home, the nursery if it is ready, yourselves, family outings, pets etc. Contact alternative schools and pregnancy crisis centers and see if they will keep a copy of this profile. Also call your ob/gyn and see if they will keep a copy for any girl contemplating adoption. If you are allowed to advertise in your state you can put an ad in the newspaper or throw away paper. Do not wait for your agency to help, it sounds like it will be a long time, if ever, that you hear from them about a baby. Make it work for yourself. I did this and connected with a birthmom that was 5 mos. pregnant. I arrived at the hospital, in another state, the day she was born, so I have been with her from the beginning. She is 6 now and a real blessing to our family. Good luck.
Actually, we are not looking for a baby nor do we have the money to pay for adopting a baby. We are looking for a special needs child under the age of 10. This usually involves children who have been abused/neglected or possibly have a learning disability or something similar.

Thanks for the information anyway

Old 09-14-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Well, you can have a kid, you just don't like the pickin's.
Are you speaking from experience? You've been through the process? Do you live in PA? I'm not exactly sure why you think it's easy.

Old 09-14-2009, 04:56 PM

2,779 posts, read 4,654,059 times
Anyone who has been through the process of international adoption knows that you don't adopt because its trendy, oh and highway29, I didn't BUY my children. I paid a bunch of government bureaucrats (primarily in the United States btw) to push paperwork so I could bring home two kids who were abandoned and starving in a foreign orphanage.

Sign up for foster to adopt, you'll easily be able to adopt a special needs child unless your home is in some way unfit.

As for Elton John, while I know that he won't be able to adopt (Ukraine doesn't allow homosexuals to adopt for starters, along with his age, and I would guess his past history of addiction, believe it or not they are VERY strict about that stuff) I would have zero problem with it. There are millions of orphans in institutions around the world and until you've seen it, you don't get it, ANY life in Western Europe or North America is an improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption