U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-03-2012, 04:44 AM

45,993 posts, read 34,738,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Less expensive way to aadopt? Yes. Become a foster parent. And find a child you bond with...and adopt that child. I have a friend who did this, they placed twin girls in their home. Cute as buttons. Newborns. African American. They adopted these two cuties.....yes.....there have been some issues...the Mom was a drug addict...the girls are small, and currently in Special Education pre-school for some small developmental delays....but because these girls were identified as, "special needs" they adopted them and receive a stipend for their care.

These girls are cute, and will be fine. They were preemie. Just need time to catch up. Lucky little girls....and their parents adore them.
that is a great idea,as long as you can find foster children that are or will be up for adoption. We were lucky, we adopted when it was much less expensive and there were many babies and young children available. After we felt we didn't want to totally raise anymore kids we became foster parents, but none of the children we fostered were ever available for adoption. One of our foster daughters is still very much a part of our family. She was a young teen when she came to us. Now, she is a 50 plus women.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-03-2012, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I don't believe in privatizing child care any more than I believe in privatizing schools or prisons.

How dare you infer that I do not care about children?

I think that Children's Homes should be supervised by the GOVERNMENT not a big business with a profit motive.

Lizita, your information is from personal experience. You are emotionally involved in this. Have you studied public policy or child and family systems?

I think that foster care as we know it in America is a miserable failure.

I also think that your allegiance to the parents from whom the children were taken comes were removed makes little sense - and it comes from your personal biases.

Most people adopt children for the same reason that people give birth! We are not the "designated martyrs" of the world nor do we want to clean up the messes of others.
We want a FAMILY. Our own family. Our OWN kids!

There may be some people who would be open to a relationship with the people who gave birth to THEIR CHILDREN - but I'm not one.

I am an advocate for CHILDREN - and NOT for failed families, abusive parents or reckless teenaged "mothers".

Our so-called progressive laws geared to the preservation of the family at all costs - HURT CHILDREN!

By the time these kids are available for adoption, they've been abused, confused and shuttled around.
That's why so many of us adopt internationally.
I agree the foster program in America can be improved on and many foster parents are in the business of making money only, to heck with the kids, but I have strong feelings that private homes overall are better for children who have been separated from their families than an institutionalized enviornment. Kids need a way to, at least bond,to some degree, not be a part of mass run institution. I don't like government run or sponsored much of anything unless it is necessary, certainly not govenment run 24 hour child care.

Unread 07-29-2012, 06:11 AM

1,463 posts, read 2,157,122 times
I just became Acting Director of a Women's Care Center which was a former Crisis Pregnancy Center. We work with a lot of college students and community young women who have unplanned pregnancies. I'm certainly still in the learning stages of this until we find another director. But I have noticed we have gotten a few letters from couples who are interested in adopting. Just off hand this seems like a great place for a couple to start looking at....
We certainly hope the women will keep their babies and not abort them. I know there are so many wonderful families who want children and they are very hard and expensive to find which just shouldn't be! We give out a lot of formula, diapers and clothes to help these women out and help them be successful in their journey.

Unread 07-29-2012, 05:29 PM

16,199 posts, read 9,801,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
I just became Acting Director of a Women's Care Center which was a former Crisis Pregnancy Center. We work with a lot of college students and community young women who have unplanned pregnancies. I'm certainly still in the learning stages of this until we find another director. But I have noticed we have gotten a few letters from couples who are interested in adopting. Just off hand this seems like a great place for a couple to start looking at....
We certainly hope the women will keep their babies and not abort them. I know there are so many wonderful families who want children and they are very hard and expensive to find which just shouldn't be! We give out a lot of formula, diapers and clothes to help these women out and help them be successful in their journey.
When we were trying to adopt we made up a profile with photos and mailed them off to pregnancy crisis centers in our state and the surrounding states, as well as alternative schools. It is a good thing to do when you are doing you own networking and trying to adopt.

Unread 07-29-2012, 11:08 PM
Status: "Out of the hospital and home to my honey!" (set 12 days ago)

1,430 posts, read 779,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
that is a great idea,as long as you can find foster children that are or will be up for adoption. We were lucky, we adopted when it was much less expensive and there were many babies and young children available. After we felt we didn't want to totally raise anymore kids we became foster parents, but none of the children we fostered were ever available for adoption. One of our foster daughters is still very much a part of our family. She was a young teen when she came to us. Now, she is a 50 plus women.

Nita
And be prepared for surprises. Including a long waiting game in Fost-Adopt children who are legally at risk, and family members popping in and out of your life, oft times needing money.

Unread 07-29-2012, 11:19 PM

Ukraine is a relatively inexpensive country if you select the right agency or facilitator.

Unread 07-30-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
And be prepared for surprises. Including a long waiting game in Fost-Adopt children who are legally at risk, and family members popping in and out of your life, oft times needing money.
and that is the sad part, yes, I know it can be a horrible way to go: my thoughts are more, too bad it can't be easier. We had a friend at our old church (well he wasn't a friend, but an aquaintance) he was a foster parent that did end up adoption his little baby, who was a crack baby. I won't go into details, but much of what you are saying he dealt with, everything from baby's family (mom was in prison, dad was in God knows where) deciding they wanted the baby (which they did back off) to everyone wanting part in raising this little guy. We left NM about the time he was 3, so I have no idea how his life has gone.He would be 7 now;;The guy was a great daddy and had his own family, mom,dad and siblings as his support team, but for some reason I am just not sure things worked out that well.

Unread 07-30-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and that is the sad part, yes, I know it can be a horrible way to go: my thoughts are more, too bad it can't be easier. We had a friend at our old church (well he wasn't a friend, but an aquaintance) he was a foster parent that did end up adoption his little baby, who was a crack baby. I won't go into details, but much of what you are saying he dealt with, everything from baby's family (mom was in prison, dad was in God knows where) deciding they wanted the baby (which they did back off) to everyone wanting part in raising this little guy. We left NM about the time he was 3, so I have no idea how his life has gone.He would be 7 now;;The guy was a great daddy and had his own family, mom,dad and siblings as his support team, but for some reason I am just not sure things worked out that well.
I'm sure that the man in your church was a good parent. These things that you have confirmed make Foster Adoption less than appealing to most people. Very sad.

Unread 07-30-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
It is in a way. But you have to be ready to be selected by a teenager or very young woman. Or be rejected.

You also need to be on board with the anti-choice people who run these crises pregnancy centers.

Pregnancy should be a happy and planned event. When and if our daughter becomes sexually active outside of marriage, she will come to her mother who will take her to a doctor to get birth control.

We could not pretend to be pro-life and anti abortion. Not even to adopt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption