Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 04:41 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,155 times

Advertisements

Korea has some very strict requirements. In fact, China, Guatemala (where extortion in the adoption process is notorious) and Russia have tightened their requirements.

We were all set to turn in our paperwork for China last year when I received work from the facilitator we were working with that China had decided to close all adoptions to parents in wheelchairs. Even to married couples where the primary caregiver was healthy. We were devastated. China has now ruled that they will no longer accept single applicants, people over a certain BMI/weight or people suffering from depression (severity - I'm not sure of).

I understand that its for each country to make up their rules but it's certainly heartbreaking to so many.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:11 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,815,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
Korea has some very strict requirements. In fact, China, Guatemala (where extortion in the adoption process is notorious) and Russia have tightened their requirements.

We were all set to turn in our paperwork for China last year when I received work from the facilitator we were working with that China had decided to close all adoptions to parents in wheelchairs. Even to married couples where the primary caregiver was healthy. We were devastated. China has now ruled that they will no longer accept single applicants, people over a certain BMI/weight or people suffering from depression (severity - I'm not sure of).

I understand that its for each country to make up their rules but it's certainly heartbreaking to so many.
Like I said I was looking 5 years ago. But for curiosity sake...what are the strict requirements? I may have met them and didn't realize they were strict at the time.

Old 05-04-2007, 05:24 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,155 times
KOREAN requirements:

Married couples only
Both parents age 25-44, no more than 15 years between them
Married for at least three years
No more than one divorce per spouse
0-4 children already in the family
Couples with no children must be open to either gender
Minimum income: $35,000
Both parents must have high school educations
Parents should have no serious medical conditions and be no more than 30% overweight (please call to request an "Allowance of Weights" chart from the Korea Program)

I think it's the "no more than 30% overweight" that people find as the most stringent of the requirements.

For us, it is my husband's MS which while not fatal is considered a serious medical condition by most international adoptions having that requirement. Also, when we started looking into adoptions, DH was already 45 so we were out of the running in Korea.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:34 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,815,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
KOREAN requirements:

Married couples only
Both parents age 25-44, no more than 15 years between them
Married for at least three years
No more than one divorce per spouse
0-4 children already in the family
Couples with no children must be open to either gender
Minimum income: $35,000
Both parents must have high school educations
Parents should have no serious medical conditions and be no more than 30% overweight (please call to request an "Allowance of Weights" chart from the Korea Program)

I think it's the "no more than 30% overweight" that people find as the most stringent of the requirements.

For us, it is my husband's MS which while not fatal is considered a serious medical condition by most international adoptions having that requirement. Also, when we started looking into adoptions, DH was already 45 so we were out of the running in Korea.
Oh ok I did meet all of those so I probably didn't notice them if it was the case. Are you interested in foreign over domestic or baby vs. older child? I do have an aquaintance (dear friend of a dear friend) that specializes in Russian adoption and probably does others as well. I'd be happy to get her information for you and PM you with it. Just PM me if you want it. And again Good Luck!

Old 05-15-2007, 09:28 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,399,178 times
Become a foster parent first and than adopt. This does not require any money and it allows you to see if the child fits into your family.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:09 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Have you considered fostering? Many areas in the U.S. are desperate for foster parents. Some foster children are also available for adoption, although terminating the bio parents rights is a difficult process. It is not an easy path to choose, but you would be doing a world of good for a child in real need, right in your own back yard. You will actually receive money for fostering.
I agree with Christina
Although I am going to ask you a question that I know I may get hatenail for
It is by no means to make anyone including the poster feel badly?

If you don't feel you would have $10,000 to afford an adoption why would you feel comfortable adopting?
Children are a large expense much more than $10,000 a year I am afraid
How would you be able to afford all the little do-dads that come along with having this child eg crib, diapers, formula, toys, clothes.
Again I say I am not trying to upset anyone but these are things to consider

Old 05-16-2007, 12:30 PM

955 posts, read 3,648,429 times
You can contact social services in your area - you can become licensed with the state our county and children who are removed from their homes are often freed for adoption when the situation is not safe at home for them - babies to teens - this is much less expensive As noted above you can foster and become what is called a "legal risk" placement meaning if the children are freed for adoption you would be able to adopt (pending all background checks and licensure etc )

Please let me know if you have questions - I worked in the field for many years

I also compeltely understand your plight - as previous poster noted children are expensive, but its not often in a lump sum such as adoption fees and court costs - plus you would have to pay the fees plus the regular child expenses - makes sense to me

Old 05-16-2007, 02:22 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,490,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
I agree with Christina
Although I am going to ask you a question that I know I may get hatenail for
It is by no means to make anyone including the poster feel badly?

If you don't feel you would have $10,000 to afford an adoption why would you feel comfortable adopting?
Children are a large expense much more than $10,000 a year I am afraid
How would you be able to afford all the little do-dads that come along with having this child eg crib, diapers, formula, toys, clothes.
Again I say I am not trying to upset anyone but these are things to consider
My husband and I have great jobs (teacher and a mailman) 2 children already, would like another one, and could afford another one.

Perhaps the poster is like us...we don't have the $10,000-30,000 up front. Everyone knows children are a large expense, but luckily, we don't have to come up with all of that money upfront-it's a daily thing.

Just because I couldn't come up with that money upfront (well, I'm sure I could if I took out loans, but I don't have it in savings!!) doesn't mean I couldn't afford the child....

Old 05-16-2007, 03:02 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,890,442 times
Why is this process so expensive & so lengthy? Our local TV station features children who are ready for adoption, once/wk & it's sad to see that many are almost or already teens. I'm sure a young couple wanted them when they were smaller & it's just sad that they had to spend so much time being shuffled from home to home. It just seems very discouraging to see how out of reach they're making these deserving children from loving parents. Why?

Old 05-16-2007, 03:35 PM

985 posts, read 5,758,218 times
There are a lot of resources on web. You can just google them.

The whole adoption issue is very complicated. There is biology parent's right issue and many other legal issues involved. All those steps cost money.

Anyway, from my limited understanding, most people who want to adopt prefers an infant or young baby, somebody who is easily bonded with adopted parents. In this situation, the demand is much greater than supply in US. That's why many folks look for international adoption, first Korea, then Russia, now China. Still, there are still too many people from US and from Europe who want to adopt. So last year, China set stricter requirement for adoptions. There was big uproar in New York city since people in New York city adopted about 1/3 kids from China.

Search on web. There are a lot of stories on this topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption