U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 07:49 PM
jco jco started this thread

2,120 posts, read 5,958,353 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have, and have for years, a heart to adopt a child in the future. We're not by any means wealthy, and don't know that we would ever be able to pay 10-30k on an adoption. Does anyone know of a less expensive way of adopting?

Old 05-03-2007, 08:03 PM

548 posts, read 2,433,158 times
I'd suggest going to forums.adoption.com. TONS of info. on there about all aspects of domestic and int'l adoption.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:15 AM

14,626 posts, read 31,210,098 times
Steven Curtis Chapman has some help for adoptive families--I think it's called Shaohannah's Hope. Go to the Steven Curtis Chapman website and you'll see the link. Good luck, and God bless you!

Old 05-04-2007, 01:07 AM

3,107 posts, read 8,212,380 times
We've been looking into adoption - from private to international - and at this point, those options are too expensive for us.

The most inexpensive adoptions from the research I've done is through the county. For example, adoptions through San Diego County are about $500 and from what I've been told by SDC case workers, that fee is often waived. You would also incur a Home Study fee which ranges anywhere from 1-3k.

Good luck...I hope you find your way to making a home for a child in need of love and parenting.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:05 AM

548 posts, read 2,433,158 times
Also, I'm not sure if you know this, but there is an adoption tax credit. I don't know what it currently is--$10,000 maybe?? Anyway, how it works is that you pay for the adoption but then at the end of the tax bill, if you owed, for example, $5,000, you now owe nothing. And you'd carry the other $5,000 over for up to 3 or 5 years (again, I can't remember the details), so you could keep doing that til you've used up your full $10,000 credit. You'd have to come up w/the money upfront, but it essentially ends up costing you nothing or very little since you don't pay the taxes you'd normally owe.

I think going through the state is typically the least expensive way to do it, but generally these are older/hard to place children. Not sure age, etc. you are considering.

We have both biological and adopted. Ethiopia is one of the less expensive adoption options. All costs, inclduing homestudy, came in under $12,000. If you took advantage of the tax credit and could come up w/that money upfront (some people take loans), it would ultimately cost you $2,000 (plus interest on what you borrowed). Children of all ages, mostly healthy, are looking for homes there!!

Feel free to PM me if you want any info. on Ethiopia adoption.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:07 AM

3,042 posts, read 8,087,759 times
i think state adoptions are cheaper and President Bush increased the Adoption tax credit to $11,000 next year.

we are adopting too, will be final in the fall

Old 05-04-2007, 02:11 PM

6,047 posts, read 21,646,034 times
Have you considered fostering? Many areas in the U.S. are desperate for foster parents. Some foster children are also available for adoption, although terminating the bio parents rights is a difficult process. It is not an easy path to choose, but you would be doing a world of good for a child in real need, right in your own back yard. You will actually receive money for fostering.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:25 PM

322 posts, read 1,134,861 times
This is a GREAT thread! My husband and I would like to have yet another...yes, on top of the 5 we already have but we would have to go through the whole vesectomy reversal thing with no guarantees....which in turn may lead us to adopt. I have done quite a bit of research on different states and countries with adopting and fostering....problem is, once I take in a child...it's MINE!! I would not be able to bear giving the child back should the parents change their mind etc.... Does anyone know the percentage, if any, of foster children who's parents have already given up their rights to the child? That's not to say the child could not meet their bio parents someday, but I couldn't bear a parent coming in and simply taking the child I'm caring for away. I simply couldn't deal with that!

Old 05-04-2007, 03:22 PM

3,107 posts, read 8,212,380 times
You should call your county agency & ask to speak to a case worker. Every once in a while, you'll get someone willing to spend time with you & give you that kind of information.

Since we've been going through infertility for about 3 yrs now, the thought of the possibility of having our child taken away from us is just unbearable.

I've read about some people who have indicated on their paperwork that they only want children/infants whose birth parents' parental rights have been terminated. I think it's the only way that you can ensure that the courts won't step in & give your child back to a BP.

I know the rules are different from state-to-state though.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:10 PM

3,684 posts, read 10,996,982 times
When I was looking into adoption we had decided on Korea. They were relatively inexpensive at the time (5 years ago) and you don't have to travel to Korea the children are excorted over to here. You also get the babies at a young age under 6 mos old...and the whole adoption time is anywhere from 4 - 9 months. Again this was 5 years ago...I actually got pregnant during the homestudy portion. But it's worth checking out. Good luck to all you hopeful adoptive parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or