Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 4,694 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone

I have a diliema that I am looking for advice on. I am adopting a 2 year old little girl in which her mother has severe mental health issues and rights have been terminated in addtion her dad (my maternal uncle) is an sex offender who served 19 years in jail and been released just 4 years ago. Dad is willing to surrending his rights in order for me to adopt and to keep the little one from a life of foster care, since he knows that he not capable of ever caring for her ever.(the little one has been in foster care with a maternal step grandmother since 2 days old) but step grandmother is elderly and cannot continue to care for the 2 year old and other kids, this is where i come in, so far all the above surrending rights and therefore has been going fine, but meaning the child is being transfered from nyc to md for adoption proceedings a question has been raised by both courts am I gonna change her name taken in count of the parents status and issues. The mother is 30 and the father is 52 years old. The child and me has the same surname so its really the first and middle name. SUGGESTIONS PLEASE ........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 01:45 PM

156 posts, read 423,714 times
Two year olds do know and recognize their names. You might try giving her a different first name and using her given name as her middle name. You can still call her by the name she knows but if someone were to look up Brooke Smith for example and you renamed her Haley Brooke Smith, they won't know it is her. And if you really love the name Haley, you can call her Haley Brooke and as she gets used to it, eventually drop the Brooke and just call her Haley.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:05 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Unless you have some specific reason for wanting to change the name, I would leave it. I was going to suggest you change her last name to yours, but that is a non-issue, I guess. And, good for you for stepping in for this little girl!

Old 03-02-2010, 06:22 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
My grandson is 2 1/2. He would easily accept a name change. Like the other poster suggested, call her by her name now mixed with the new name and then eventually drop her current name. If it works better for you, in the long run, it will probably work better for her as well. She is beginning a new life.

I repped you, but wanted to say again how wonderful it is to you make a family for this little innocent girl who deserves all the love you are willing to give her.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:48 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
I don't see the purpose in changing her first and middle name.

Since you are related to the bio parents and they know you are adopting her, it's not like changing her name will prevent them from finding her.

It just doesn't make sense unless you are planning to change your name (first and last) too---so they can't find either of you.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:07 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
I would personally leave the name the way it is since the adoption is occurring within the family and you both have the same last name. More importantly I would seek to have the court order that a new social security number be issued. No need in risking the chance that one of the former parents/guardians may decide to commit identity theft.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:45 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
If you would prefer a different name it is certainly your right to change it. At this age it will make no difference. I adopted 3 international children and changed their names to something more American sounding but many try to retain some culture by keeping or modifying internationally adopted kids' names. It is certainly your own decision.
Good luck

Old 04-02-2013, 11:03 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,233,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADIVA View Post
Hello Everyone

I have a diliema that I am looking for advice on. I am adopting a 2 year old little girl in which her mother has severe mental health issues and rights have been terminated in addtion her dad (my maternal uncle) is an sex offender who served 19 years in jail and been released just 4 years ago. Dad is willing to surrending his rights in order for me to adopt and to keep the little one from a life of foster care, since he knows that he not capable of ever caring for her ever.(the little one has been in foster care with a maternal step grandmother since 2 days old) but step grandmother is elderly and cannot continue to care for the 2 year old and other kids, this is where i come in, so far all the above surrending rights and therefore has been going fine, but meaning the child is being transfered from nyc to md for adoption proceedings a question has been raised by both courts am I gonna change her name taken in count of the parents status and issues. The mother is 30 and the father is 52 years old. The child and me has the same surname so its really the first and middle name. SUGGESTIONS PLEASE ........
You are the parent. Name her a name that you like. A name that makes her a part of your family.
She is your child. I am guessing that you are not crazy about the name.
Or you wouldn't be posting it a thought.

The first name was given to her by people who are no longer her parents. That's a heavy reminder to have in your home and in your lives. I say start fresh.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:33 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,505,199 times
You do realize that this thread is 3 years old, right?

Old 04-18-2013, 08:56 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Same issues though, always a good time to share opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption