U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 05:42 PM

3,907 posts, read 9,538,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCroatian View Post
I would have done the same thing.
Then PLEASE don't adopt. Ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 05:42 PM

43,012 posts, read 91,977,747 times
Here's another:

Quote:
On the other hand, domestic adoption is more difficult. Unlike in international adoption cases, where children are generally more needy, domestic adoption has more selective criteria, making it harder to adopt a child.

Domestic Adoption: Reasons for it, Elegibility Requirements and Potential Costs
It's all over the internet that domestic adoptions have stricter standards.

Regardless, did anyone hear the lastest news that this woman was in the process of adopting a second child from the Soviet Republic of Georgia after Russia refused to allow her to adopt a second child so soon after adopting the first? She just went on to another country disregarding Russia's wishes that she give him time to settle into his new home before adding more children.

Mom in Russia Adoption Scandal Trying for Second Child - ABC News

Proof she has gone elsewhere when turned down. As the story unfolds, I won't be surprised if it's reported that she was turned down for domestic adoption prior to adopting in Russia.

Nobody can argue that this woman was fit to adopt a child, not after what she has done.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:52 PM

2,779 posts, read 4,652,378 times
The requirements for adopting internationally and adopting domestically are the same, both require a home study done by a licensed social worker...the same home study would approve someone for either domestic or international adoption, there is no real difference between the two approval processes, one may require you take a class (the Hague countries do and some states do for domestic). In fact depending on the country, adopting internationally has more requirements (household income, weight, age, optimal health, must be married etc.).

However. In domestic adoption (private adoption, how the vast majority of adoptions in the US are completed) the birth parent(s) chose the adoptive parent(s). Some people are less likely to be "chosen" whether they are older, single, gay, have biological children already, etc. Many of these people chose to adopt internationally. That is what the article you quote is indicating, not that the government has stricter standards for domestic adoption...they don't.

My feeling is that the majority of people adopt internationally because a) they believe in closed adoptions b) they fear the birthparents returning for the child (although this is mostly incorrect) c) they don't see need ending at America's borders and d) timelines are nice and international adoption offers something of a timeline.

Old 04-13-2010, 05:54 PM

2,779 posts, read 4,652,378 times
It should be noted that the saddest part of this story is that there are hundreds of Russian children who have already MET the parents waiting to adopt them in the United States who will now be without families because of an ignorant woman and irresponsible adoption officials.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:08 PM

69 posts, read 196,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
Then PLEASE don't adopt. Ever.
I'm going to adpot a cute homeless Mexican.
I don't care if he threathens to burn down the house,Mexicans are just adorable.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:38 PM

141 posts, read 400,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
According to the Russian government the boy is considered a dual Russian/American citizen until he reaches 18, if the "news" doesn't report that this was a US citizen then they are incorrect.
Right, the Russian media is trumpeting unspeakable abuse of Russian citizenry by the evil Americans, at the same time for the same matter, there is a plenty of wailing on this side of the puddle of how come a US citizen dares to treat a fellow US citizen this way yada yada, but in reality there are one confused US-based adult who didn't have any [self-moderated]ing idea what she was getting herself into and one unlucky kid who failed to get away with whatever he did to trigger that unscheduled, unattended repatriation.

BS aside, a few quick months before getting shipped back where he belongs, hardly made the kid American by any approximation. He came here Russian, had the chance to become American, blew it and went back to full-time Russian, praised and comforted as such on that side of the puddle.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:00 PM

55,541 posts, read 54,161,800 times
Quote:
I don't care if he threathens to burn down the house,Mexicans are just adorable.
I want an Eskimo boy orphan. It will be such fun when the first winter snow falls and I can watch him build his little igloo in the back yard.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:07 PM

43,012 posts, read 91,977,747 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I want an Eskimo boy orphan. It will be such fun when the first winter snow falls and I can watch him build his little igloo in the back yard.
Within the last few months, someone was advocating in the special needs childrens forum adopting a child to train to care for the biological disabled child.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/12369818-post37.html

Old 04-13-2010, 08:33 PM

1,820 posts, read 3,989,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
I don't see why people feel the need to adopt from foreign countries when there is thousands of foster kids here in the US. Although, a friend of mine tried to adopt a child from Russia (it never worked out) and she said the conditions of the orphanage were horrible. It's been proven that Russian children who've been adopted are more to prone to behavioral problems so I can see why this kid could have been a handful. BUT - this isn't a dog we're talking about here! You can't just send him back to the orphanage!!

People are so irresponsible these days.. at the very least they could have put him up for adoption here in the US where he would have had a chance at a good life. However we don't know the full story.. perhaps these people had tried counselling or behavioral therapy and nothing had worked. I'm not trying to excuse the incident, but like I said, we don't know the whole story.

As an adoptive mother, I am completely disgusted by what this parent has done. By no means should anyone be allowed to put a child on a plane or "give up" on that child! it is just disgusting!
HOWEVER, in regards to the question about why people adopt internationally and not domestically... I will tell you, it is because of our social welfare system and the laws within states about parental rights,etc... The United States is why we have such a hard time adopting domestically, that is why.
There is so much red tape (more so than an International one) and then, each state has their own regulations about when a birth parent can "claim" their child back,etc...
Adoption as a whole is a difficult journey to come through, and more than not, it is completely rewarding of course in the end. However, could you imagine parenting a child for 6 or 9 months and then a birthparent comes back and says they have changed their mind? they want their child back and "you" as the adoptive parent, have no rights?
It isn't right, it isn't fair, BUT, this is why people don't adopt domestically, or there aren't more of them.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:15 AM

12,870 posts, read 13,107,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
As we all know, Parenting is the toughest job going. But, the Parents are fault because they quit and committed a crime by sending the child back without "proper" adult supervision. I wonder if the parents will be charged with Child Neglect.

At the same time, the adoption agency should thoroughly investigated. Children are our future and should not be treated like animals.

Everyone involved is guilty. Truthfully, Shameful!!!
i certainly hope that mother is charged with child neglect for what she chose to do. it is amazing that she thought that she could just RETURN a "defective" child. she is so lacking in any intelligent decision making capability that she is unfit to be a parent.

i see that she was looking into other possible adoptions!

that family should never be allowed around any child from ANY country again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption