U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 08:43 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,144,182 times

Advertisements

Anyone been to CAPE VERDE? The African islands that had a lot of European mix, and even today has a strong black/white mix of people that speak Portuguese.

I've always been a bit curious about Cape Verde...wondering if anyone has first-hand knowledge or even second-hand knowledge of being there...and their impressions of the place, where they went, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 09:54 AM

21,368 posts, read 19,297,224 times
I have never been there myself, but there are a lot of programs on it here on Portuguese TV because of the historical affiliation.

It offers a high standard of living by African standards. There is severe water shortage, though, and nature has suffered a lot from overpopulation. I guess CV depends on tourism, they have to import most everything.
A lot of young people try to move to Portugal.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:33 AM

12,683 posts, read 14,063,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Anyone been to CAPE VERDE? The African islands that had a lot of European mix, and even today has a strong black/white mix of people that speak Portuguese.

I've always been a bit curious about Cape Verde...wondering if anyone has first-hand knowledge or even second-hand knowledge of being there...and their impressions of the place, where they went, etc.
The islands were uninhabited before the Portuguese discovered them. Then they used them as a shipping point in the slave trade.

Neuling pretty well summed it up.

Its tourist accomodations, according to a friend of mine, are not architecturally overwhelming in the scale of places like Miami or Cancun, but they are modern and tasteful. The islands are rather barren.

Their music is wonderful and I have dozens of recordings. Cesária Évora, a CV singer, has quite a European following, though given the reluctance of Americans to listen to music in foreign languages she may not be well known over there. And there are others, such as Bana and Cabo Verde Show.

Their language has departed significantly from the Portuguese that was introduced for colonial administration, and they have a healthy literature of their own.

Though the islands are mid-Atlantic, I guess they are considered African; and they have had perhaps the stablest African government since their independence in the 1970's.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I have never been there myself, but there are a lot of programs on it here on Portuguese TV because of the historical affiliation.

It offers a high standard of living by African standards. There is severe water shortage, though, and nature has suffered a lot from overpopulation. I guess CV depends on tourism, they have to import most everything.
A lot of young people try to move to Portugal.
Also seems to be a large number in Providence RI and vicinity, including Massachussets. Something like 4% of Providence is Cape Verdan - which seems like no small feat!

Researching Providence, and learning about Cape Verde, made me curious about it, and wow, looks like a beautififul island - much like a Hawaii-type, but in the Atlantic.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
The islands were uninhabited before the Portuguese discovered them. Then they used them as a shipping point in the slave trade.

Neuling pretty well summed it up.

Its tourist accomodations, according to a friend of mine, are not architecturally overwhelming in the scale of places like Miami or Cancun, but they are modern and tasteful. The islands are rather barren.

Their music is wonderful and I have dozens of recordings. Cesária Évora, a CV singer, has quite a European following, though given the reluctance of Americans to listen to music in foreign languages she may not be well known over there. And there are others, such as Bana and Cabo Verde Show.

Their language has departed significantly from the Portuguese that was introduced for colonial administration, and they have a healthy literature of their own.

Though the islands are mid-Atlantic, I guess they are considered African; and they have had perhaps the stablest African government since their independence in the 1970's.
Yeah, agree about the music. Agree that mainstream American music wouldn't play it. But, it does remain popular.

For how small Cape Verde is, it does seem to produce amazing musicians, and I didn't realize until recently how much literature comes out of that small place.

Also, the population doesn't seem that big either? I think on the other post, a mention of overcrowding? Wonder if they spread out in the land-wise way, as opposed to building up in their cities.

I take it that whatever cities in Cape Verde might be nothing European-like at all...or colonial-like either?

Old 09-03-2010, 01:56 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,955,873 times
Some of us Americans are pretty open to foreign-language music. I have an Evoria CD and I think I saw a special on her on CNN. It's true that it's a pretty small percent of us who know of her, or musicians like her, though.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Also seems to be a large number in Providence RI and vicinity, including Massachussets. Something like 4% of Providence is Cape Verdan - which seems like no small feat!

Researching Providence, and learning about Cape Verde, made me curious about it, and wow, looks like a beautififul island - much like a Hawaii-type, but in the Atlantic.
Yes, New England coastal cities are home to a lot of Portuguese-speaking people, including Brazilians and Portuguese. Probably because of the fishing industries.

Old 09-03-2010, 03:53 AM

12,683 posts, read 14,063,903 times
Quote:
....Also, the population doesn't seem that big either? I think on the other post, a mention of overcrowding? Wonder if they spread out in the land-wise way, as opposed to building up in their cities.

I take it that whatever cities in Cape Verde might be nothing European-like at all...or colonial-like either?
I have never visited, my impressions are from friends who have, from reading and from watching a (Portuguese) TV channel RTP-Africa, which features shows about CV quite often. the channel shows many music shows, but it has had some interesting travelogues about CV....and my impression is of a harsh, hot country, great for beach tourism but harder than hell to earn a living otherwise.

The population is small, but the islands are not lush. Though New World hurricanes start in the waters of CV, they, unfortunately, don't seem to leave much water behind. Three of the islands are quite desertified, I understand, and the remainder are not especially hospitable, much less fertile. I am sure this accounts for the large amount of CV emigration.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:22 AM

Yes, in absolute terms the population is not much, but relative to the resources the islands provide, they are overpopulated.

Mindelo, the second biggest and probably most interesting city:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_kECTJWupfQ...delo+aereo.jpg
Once can see the sparse fauna. If there were more rain, it could really be a little paradise.

Last edited by Neuling; 09-03-2010 at 05:06 AM..

Old 09-03-2010, 06:50 AM

10,664 posts, read 7,965,541 times
My husband went there a few years ago, and he told me the country was extremely poor, and not made for tourism. Not many things to see, the main touristic activity is actually windsurfing but that's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa