Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is the de facto capitol of Africa?
Lagos 17 21.25%
Nairobi 8 10.00%
Johannesburg 38 47.50%
Other 17 21.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 08:52 PM

684 posts, read 1,122,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musa O View Post
I second that
Disagree. There are cities that function as HQ's for particular things. London is the economic center of Europe, and it along with NY the apex global city for most things.

Cities are starting to become more important then states. I think global cities rather then countries will determine future economic patterns. London and NY are locked in an embrace closer then the UK-USA in general.

It is the next stage of political evolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 03:58 AM

Location: Midwesterner living in California (previously East Coast)
296 posts, read 438,193 times
You can't talk about a capital of Africa and exclude Cairo.
I think Addis Ababa should also be considered for its diplomatic impact

Old 04-07-2013, 06:51 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
I'm going to say Joburg. If a city is going to be considered the capital of Africa it should attract sizable populations from non-South African, African countries. Addis Abba isn't a great destination and is overwhelmingly Ethiopian. Whereas Joburg has sizable populations of Somalis, Nigerians, Zimbabweans etc.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:39 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,592,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
I do not agree with your assumptions.

There are no de-facto accepted capitals anywhere in the world, and there is no need for such a thing.

As to London being the EU's capital, I doubt that you get a majority for this in any European country, let alone in the UK itself as a large part of Brits, if not most, would rather leave the EU than stay.
If you really have the need to name a EU capital, many would likely say Brussels.

By the way, Japan is not a city, so it cannot be a capital.
You're right on London,it's rather Brussels.

Johannesburg or Capetown cannot play the same role as New York,for the simple reason,that most africans do not identify with S.African because it's mainly european.

Few african people travel to S.Africa for business like people do for New York,convention,conferences,fashion,international organizations,music events

My choices would be Lagos,Cairo,Dakar,Casablance,Algiers,Addis Abeba (African Union headquarter)

Old 10-11-2013, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm going to say Joburg. If a city is going to be considered the capital of Africa it should attract sizable populations from non-South African, African countries. Addis Abba isn't a great destination and is overwhelmingly Ethiopian. Whereas Joburg has sizable populations of Somalis, Nigerians, Zimbabweans etc.
Other cities have also a sizeable emigrant population like Dakar,Algiers,Lagos,Cairo,Addis Abeba and Casablanca.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:38 AM

11 posts, read 58,449 times
I'd say Johannesburg. For NY style influence, nowhere is like it in Africa. It's where African movers and shakers gotta be.

I PREFER Cape Town, but Johannesburg is the answer to this question.

Btw, I'd say Paris for the EU rather than London. London is a weird 'UK semi-Europe free floating' entity (and also my least favourite city I've been to in the world). I think you mean Tokyo for East Asia, which is prob truth, but Shanghai is closing in...

Old 10-13-2013, 08:41 AM

11 posts, read 58,449 times
Oh, millions of Africans travel to do business in SA, and Johannesburg especially, annually. Just read someone saying otherwise, but they're wrong.

Millions of great Johannesburg's 11m people are foreign Africans, so it fits that bill too.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:31 PM

592 posts, read 828,427 times
This isn't a question of which city is nicer, more livable, safer or more beautiful. Most of us would chose Cape Town if that was the criteria. The question was what is the de facto capital of Africa(excluding Arab North Africa).

The is Johannesburg. It has the largest economy, perhaps not per capita, but overall. Its also the most diverse city in Africa, once again, not per capita, but overall. It has the largest stock exchange and has the largest market size in Africa.

Comparing Johannesburg to Cape Town is almost like comparing Los Angeles to San Francisco. Los Angeles being Johannesburg and Cape Town being San Francisco. Cape Town is arguably more beautiful, more laid back, has a better standard of living, is the beauty of South Africa. Cape Town, per capita, has the higher GDP. But the sheer size of Johannesburg pushes it to another level. One might be nicer than the other, but it doesn't make it more important.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:56 AM

Just a wierd question.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:58 PM

7 posts, read 15,855 times
Johannesburg is, from my point of view, the most important city.
I don't think facto cities need to represent all cultures of certain part of the world. New York doesn't represent Mexico. Sao Paulo doesn't represent the Spanish speaking countries around it. Tokyo doesn't represent eastern Russia and London can't really represent Spain, France, Italy, Germany, etc.
Jo'burg is the strongest city due to its access to information, businesses activity and human capital.
Nairobi is more centered to subsaharian Africa or black Africa, which you must know are 2 different but overlapping areas, but is not as important as Johannesburg.
Cape Town; although it has more history, culture diversity, beauty and political engagement; I still see it as one of the best places "to visit".
However, I have never been in these cities; just what I've read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa