Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to live in South Africa?
Yes 50 26.18%
No 141 73.82%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 10:20 PM

95 posts, read 258,400 times

Advertisements

I actually would like to retire in South Africa when I'm about 60 or 65 or so. Probably one of the major cities like Jo'burg, Capetown, or Durban. I haven't been yet though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 02:53 AM

230 posts, read 904,709 times
I know two white South Africans who live here in Rio de janeiro, Brazil. Both of them tell me they feel much safer here than they did in South Africa. I know that sounds crazy, but it is what they say. One of then lived for a time in a Favela (shanty town) with his black Brazilian girlfriend and had no problems. Something he said would never be possible in South Africa due to the racial divide.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:40 AM

11 posts, read 19,106 times
Happy to visit and enjoy the beautiful countryside but would not want to live there. Almost all of my SA friends have been the victims of crime and the currency is not that strong. Hopefully they can eventually sort their problems out as their template (the landscape and climate) is amazing

Old 02-09-2011, 04:59 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesne View Post
I know two white South Africans who live here in Rio de janeiro, Brazil. Both of them tell me they feel much safer here than they did in South Africa. I know that sounds crazy, but it is what they say. One of then lived for a time in a Favela (shanty town) with his black Brazilian girlfriend and had no problems. Something he said would never be possible in South Africa due to the racial divide.
Makes complete sense to me. I lived in Sao Paulo and Rio de Jainero for six months. Racial relations just seemed healthier.

Everything that I know about South Africa, racial relations sound extremely strained, even worse than in the U.S., that alone would make me seriously question any interest to go live there.

If I were a person intent to live in Africa, I'd choose just about any other country than that one.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:29 AM

38 posts, read 118,182 times
Live? Not sure. White South Africans exaggerate the crime there.

People may feel safer in Rio because you haven't got the same racial tension, Rio generally is still more violent and dangerous than Johannesburg most years.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuda Force View Post
Live? Not sure. White South Africans exaggerate the crime there.

People may feel safer in Rio because you haven't got the same racial tension, Rio generally is still more violent and dangerous than Johannesburg most years.

Are you sure Johannesburg is safer than Rio, most years? Could you please back that up with some stats? Most of the times I have looked at crime stats South Africa has ranked higher than Brazil, as far as I remember. Don´t know about Johannesburg specifically.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:06 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,545,349 times
Rio has a very bad reputation for crime. And if you really want to fear for your life go to Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. At least they aren't beheading each other in drug cartel wars in Joburg (as far as I know).

Old 02-10-2011, 10:35 PM

956 posts, read 1,113,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesne View Post
Are you sure Johannesburg is safer than Rio, most years? Could you please back that up with some stats? Most of the times I have looked at crime stats South Africa has ranked higher than Brazil, as far as I remember. Don´t know about Johannesburg specifically.
The crime stats also show Jo'burg having a higher crime rate than Mogadishu, Freetown, Luanda, Lagos, the northeastern region of Congo, etc. Do you believe that as well? I guess we could get the SAPS to start manipulating their stats in hopes of boosting the tourism industry though...

Old 02-11-2011, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Rio has a very bad reputation for crime. And if you really want to fear for your life go to Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. At least they aren't beheading each other in drug cartel wars in Joburg (as far as I know).
Having a bad reputation does not make proof that something is true. Rio is dangerous but also receives a lot more publicity than other dangerous places. We can guess a number of reasons for this. I remember when Los Angeles had a bad reputation for crime but its crime stats were no where near the top of the United States national stats, yet it received more publicity. I´m not saying Rio is less dangerous than Jo-berg I just haven´t seen any proof that it is more dangerous.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
The crime stats also show Jo'burg having a higher crime rate than Mogadishu, Freetown, Luanda, Lagos, the northeastern region of Congo, etc. Do you believe that as well? I guess we could get the SAPS to start manipulating their stats in hopes of boosting the tourism industry though...

So you are comparing data collection in Brazil to third world crap holes, and implying South Africa´s stats stand true? Brazil is a wealthier country than South Africa, per capita GDP, not saying stats cannot be manipulated here but why do you think they would be here and not there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa