Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is North Africa (Morocco to Egypt) part of the Middle East?
Yes. 27 25.71%
No, they are entirely separate. 33 31.43%
No, but North Africa is like a "sister" region to the Middle East. 45 42.86%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 03:49 AM

4 posts, read 5,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
I used to have some good Moroccan friends as a student. One of them every one thought was my brother. He identified as Berber, not Arabic. I am 80% sub Saharan African, and can pass for one of those darker Swahili people from coastal Kenya/Zanzibar. So guess what he looked like. I am not suggesting that his look is very common, but I don't think that its highly unusual either, so he must be have some not too distant sub Saharan African ancestry. Indeed when I was in Morocco I don't think that I stood out.
Indeed, the person you describe is absolutely not the average type of Moroccan. As for him identifying himself as a "berber", you should know that just like the arabs, the Amazigh ethnical group does not include sub-saharian, or black african if you prefer.

Someone who live in a country and speaks its language is not necessarily a local, even if he got a passport of that same country.

As for your second statement i can guarantee you that in a crowd, any black african will stand out in Morocco. Of course there's a small minority of black Moroccan citizens but refer to what i wrote up there.

Black skin is more uncommon in Morocco than in France ! Believe it or not.

Respectfully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 10:42 AM

491 posts, read 324,622 times
Yes, culturally they are ME if not geographically.

I will say that NA Arabs are different to the Gulf Arabs. They are much more sophisticated and likable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa