Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 08:52 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times

Advertisements

I would guess maybe a bit of an inertia kicks in with some predominately black areas. Their grandparents and parents often didn't have those chances/possibilities and so they're either starting from scratch or have come to feel a bit hopeless. That trying just doesn't work and society gave up on their neighborhoods long ago.

However there are many blacks who do succeed in America. The US likely has more black millionaires than about anyplace. Although the recession has, sadly, increased wealth disparities between blacks and whites a great degree. Many blacks apparently had much of their wealth in the things hit hardest by the recession. Such as their houses. Still I think there are parts of Georgia, Maryland, Los Angeles, and New York City that still have fairly successful predominately-black areas.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:16 PM

95 posts, read 315,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothylogan3 View Post
Well I am a black South African and I love Americans in general, I truly believe in America and the American people. However I have to say this, and this is coming from a good place - no malice, considering all the opportunities and exposure to educations that African Americans have um... there is a level of disappointment at where many are.

I know this is not a nice thing to say, but it is a truth that lingers somewhere in my mind, that most, not all, but too many African Americans throw away good chances, possibilities and blessings that many here would only dream of at this stage.
Your country is beautiful!!! I would like to know how the blacks in S. Africa feel since apartheid has ended. My tour guide which was white made it seem like everything was great. I want to know the real deal from a Black South African.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:29 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,553,167 times
Given all the problems in Africa that leave the majority of the continents population without even the basic neccessities of life, such as food, clean water, shelter, medicine, immunizations,education etc, American Black people should not be of concern to Africans. It seems that Africans have a lot of work to do in their own countries, on their own continent. Any negative thing that is said or thought of from Africans about American Black people never comes from a good place. It is always draped in malice.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:25 AM

436 posts, read 1,174,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Given all the problems in Africa that leave the majority of the continents population without even the basic neccessities of life, such as food, clean water, shelter, medicine, immunizations,education etc, American Black people should not be of concern to Africans. It seems that Africans have a lot of work to do in their own countries, on their own continent. Any negative thing that is said or thought of from Africans about American Black people never comes from a good place. It is always draped in malice.

Malice? Honey what is this? Where is all this coming from? Are you going to tell me just because one has had a bit bad luck in life they loose their ability to be good and appreciate good things in life.

Quote:
Any negative thing that is said or thought of from Africans about American Black people never comes from a good place
So just because I am a black African I am incapable of critical analysis? Gawd forbid I criticize Black americans, they are after all perfect, and I am 'not-in-a-good-place' to see their weak or bad points(again - not that they have them)?.

Man you have an extremely narrow frame of reference, I mean you are way down there. I am almost speechless, I don't know, All I can say is god bless you sweety, god bless you.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:27 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez Mode Pls View Post
I actually have a view point on this very subject.

It seems like Africans really don't like African-Americans. I've seriously observed this at my university when talking to the exchange students from African countries. This one person told me that he thought black chicks in America thought they were 'all that', and really cocky.

It seems like the people from African countries weren't into the 'gangsta' sub culture.

Just what i observed
Neither are most African Americans.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:46 PM

92 posts, read 249,812 times
Yeah, but some are. People from Africa aren't at all though.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:22 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Neither are most African Americans.
I can tell you with certainty that the vast majority of African Americans (ages 13-26) are very much into "gangsta/urban culture". As for the older ones, some are but it doesn't play as big of a role in their lives compared to the younger ones.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:32 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I would guess maybe a bit of an inertia kicks in with some predominately black areas. Their grandparents and parents often didn't have those chances/possibilities and so they're either starting from scratch or have come to feel a bit hopeless. That trying just doesn't work and society gave up on their neighborhoods long ago.

However there are many blacks who do succeed in America. The US likely has more black millionaires than about anyplace. Although the recession has, sadly, increased wealth disparities between blacks and whites a great degree. Many blacks apparently had much of their wealth in the things hit hardest by the recession. Such as their houses. Still I think there are parts of Georgia, Maryland, Los Angeles, and New York City that still have fairly successful predominately-black areas.
Dallas, Chicago, Oakland, Long Island, NJ(both north and south jersey) also have have successful predominately Black areas. Pretty much every major cities except some in the south have areas/suburbs with middle class/upper middle class/wealthy people as the majority.

.... Just would like to add that in.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:37 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
I am not black, so my opinion is of doubtful value. I imagine that some American blacks regard Africans as Uncle Toms because they weren't raised to dislike whites. That's my opinion.

Old 08-13-2011, 02:48 PM

233 posts, read 906,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdrifter View Post
What do sub-Saharan Africans think of African Americans and other new world blacks?
Well, I (an American) love my African, West Indian and Latin Caribbean friends and/or family equally. We recognize our similarities and appreciate our differences. This may not always happen smoothly, but we are not fighting in the streets over it neither.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa