U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-07-2011, 01:37 AM

1 posts, read 10,580 times
Default What do Africans think of African Americans?

What do sub-Saharan Africans think of African Americans and other new world blacks?

Old 08-07-2011, 07:53 PM

16 posts, read 3,582 times
I'm not sure if they do. Africa because of it's problems, is usually inward-looking

Old 08-07-2011, 09:21 PM

94 posts, read 27,061 times
I actually have a view point on this very subject.

It seems like Africans really don't like African-Americans. I've seriously observed this at my university when talking to the exchange students from African countries. This one person told me that he thought black chicks in America thought they were 'all that', and really cocky.

It seems like the people from African countries weren't into the 'gangsta' sub culture.

Just what i observed

Old 08-08-2011, 12:27 AM

13,859 posts, read 12,570,518 times
Sub-Saharan Africa is possibly the most culturally, linguistically, and even genetically diverse places on Earth. So opinions likely vary.

In most studies I've read Africans have positive views of Americans, but they don't ask them about Americans by race. Still I think some African-Americans have been widely embraced. W. E. B. Du Bois ended up settling in Ghana and some African-American philanthropists I think are well-liked.

Although I have heard Africans sometimes do not really relate to "African-Americans" anymore than they would other Americans, but that AAs sometimes will feel they do or should relate. That that can cause misunderstanding in some cases. And I've also read stories where Africans mock African-Americans for trying to "be more African" or "pass as African." Then again I think there are Pan-African Africans who embrace African-Americans as being in a common struggle against colonialism and racism. (And poverty and corruption perhaps) So it probably varies.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:03 AM

9,103 posts, read 9,384,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Although I have heard Africans sometimes do not really relate to "African-Americans" anymore than they would other Americans, but that AAs sometimes will feel they do or should relate. .
This has been my observation as well. I think it is probably a bit off-putting to many African-Americans to find that most Africans consider them to be "Americans just like all the others" (with everything both good and bad that that entails)... but that is certainly the general view.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:45 PM
(-)

690 posts, read 899,016 times
Having been to a few countries in Africa, it's my belief that most Africans view African Americans as Americans. They tend to get the same treatment in Africa as white Americans. The Africans who move to the states are different in this respect. They tend to look down negatively on most (non educated, non affluent) African Americans. This isn't surprising since they (Africans who now live in the US) held similar opinions of their uneducated and non-affluent country men and women.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:59 PM

95 posts, read 140,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
Having been to a few countries in Africa, it's my belief that most Africans view African Americans as Americans. They tend to get the same treatment in Africa as white Americans. The Africans who move to the states are different in this respect. They tend to look down negatively on most (non educated, non affluent) African Americans. This isn't surprising since they (Africans who now live in the US) held similar opinions of their uneducated and non-affluent country men and women.
When I went to S. Africa for the most part the white americans received better treatment from the Blacks there. They were all smiles for the white people and not for us African Americans in the same group. Maybe they thought the white people would tip better.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:55 PM

13,859 posts, read 12,570,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM1 View Post
When I went to S. Africa for the most part the white americans received better treatment from the Blacks there. They were all smiles for the white people and not for us African Americans in the same group. Maybe they thought the white people would tip better.
I think that might be it. From what I've heard from people who visit Africa many of them think white people have money. Even in this case I know where the guy was a missionary priest in Kenya they still thought "he's white, he must have money." There's also a tendency, in many countries not just Africa, to think white Americans are more than a little bit gullible or at least part with their money easily.

Granted you were with an American group, but maybe the second issue would still be a factor.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:42 AM

956 posts, read 519,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM1 View Post
I can't explain your personal experience, but I can almost guarantee that it has nothing to do with you being African-American. South Africa is by far the most xenophobic country south of the Sahara, so unless you are a black local to the region you are visiting (i.e. Xhosa in the Eastern Cape, Zulu in Natal, etc) you are going to run into animosity from the native black population. More so, not receiving a smile is better than the stab wounds and third-degree burn marks which the Zimbabwean refugees can attest to. South Africa's black population is distinct from that of her neighbors, and worlds apart from that of the rest of sub-Saharan Africa.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:25 AM

435 posts, read 742,632 times
Well I am a black South African and I love Americans in general, I truly believe in America and the American people. However I have to say this, and this is coming from a good place - no malice, considering all the opportunities and exposure to educations that African Americans have um... there is a level of disappointment at where many are.

I know this is not a nice thing to say, but it is a truth that lingers somewhere in my mind, that most, not all, but too many African Americans throw away good chances, possibilities and blessings that many here would only dream of at this stage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa