Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Prime city in Africa
Lagos 4 14.29%
Johannesburg 24 85.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 06:47 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times

Advertisements

3.9million (Jo'burg) and 3.1million (Nairobi), do the math!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 07:48 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
I haven't heard anyone mention Casablanca yet.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:35 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeo3 View Post
I think Cairo is the most populated, biggest with the best infrastructure. However it's not "black Africa" but the unofficial capital of the Arabic world.
There are about 20 million people living there concentrated on a fairly small area, one of the biggest in the world. It's economy may be better than black African cities, still a lot of poverty, crumbling buildings, old cars and poor neighboorhoods. It's certainly the most interesting one with lots of historical buildings and sites, something which most black African cities lack.

Kinshasa is as big as Lagos, or most likely bigger (bot in surface and population) and as chaotic, and quite a lot poorer. However I think it's to become the African unofficial capital within a few years, as infrastructure and investment is growing rapidly as is the population

Nairobi is not nearly as big as these giant cities, almost 5 times smaller, and the "official" business center is quite small. The rest of the city is made of slums. (such as matare, the biggest in the world). There are a lot of international ngo's and other organisations in Nairobi, that's true. It also has a sizable expat and white population.

Jo'burg is small compared to even Nairobi.
List of metropolitan areas in Africa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think Lagos is even bigger than what is listed, as many people are not counted in the official census.

Jozie is bigger than Nairobi.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:43 AM

126 posts, read 252,820 times
Johannesburg and the whole Gauteng megapolis(which includes Soweto, Centurion, Irina, Pretoria, Sandton etc) represent more than 10% of africa's GDP, so saying that Cairo and Lagos let alone Kinsasha and Nairobi are above JHB is a dumb thing to say...

Old 09-16-2011, 03:01 AM

463 posts, read 1,129,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
3.9million (Jo'burg) and 3.1million (Nairobi), do the math!
ok, I didn't know that.

but compare to Cairo (11 million, altough Egyptians say there are 20 million, due to a lot of unofficial living) Lagos (10, 5 million,but probably a lot more) or Kinshasa (8,7 million, but probably a lot more) still small.

I found out that plenty of other African cities are also bigger than Nairobi, such Alexandria, Kartum, Casablanca, Capetown, Durban, Accra and Abijan.

In Africa it's hard to say how many people actually live in cities due to the lack of statistics about the slum areas where most people live.

according to this list Johannesburg only has 2 million citizens, which is less that Nairobi (3,2 million).

http://www.blatantworld.com/feature/...us_cities.html

Anyway what is consistent in all statistics is that Cairo, Lagos and Kinshasa are The Big 3.

Last edited by takeo3; 09-16-2011 at 03:09 AM..

Old 09-16-2011, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roflguy2012 View Post
Johannesburg and the whole Gauteng megapolis(which includes Soweto, Centurion, Irina, Pretoria, Sandton etc) represent more than 10% of africa's GDP, so saying that Cairo and Lagos let alone Kinsasha and Nairobi are above JHB is a dumb thing to say...
The question was "which is the nr. 1 city in Africa" not "which is the wealthiest city in Africa".

anyway according to wikipedia GDP of Cairo is bigger than GDP of Johannesburg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_GDP

Old 09-16-2011, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

I think Lagos is even bigger than what is listed, as many people are not counted in the official census.

Jozie is bigger than Nairobi.
That goes for Kinshasa too.

Yes according to most statistics.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:00 AM

10,261 posts, read 12,511,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicislife.glee View Post
What about Cape Town?

exactly

Old 09-16-2011, 10:28 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeo3 View Post
I think Cairo is the most populated, biggest with the best infrastructure. However it's not "black Africa" but the unofficial capital of the Arabic world.
I'm so tired of that people using that term. So Cairo is somehow less of an African country because its not is what some people call 'Black Africa" which is code word for "true Africa" or "Poor Africa'. People should see Africa more from a regional perspective like (east, west, etc.) than Sub-saharan or putting the term "black" in front of Africa. We don't say "White Europe" or "Yellow Asia".

Anyway I chose Cairo and Johannesburg as a tie and Lagos a distant 3rd.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 09-16-2011 at 10:36 AM..

Old 09-16-2011, 12:04 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,443,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I'm so tired of that people using that term. So Cairo is somehow less of an African country because its not is what some people call 'Black Africa" which is code word for "true Africa" or "Poor Africa'. People should see Africa more from a regional perspective like (east, west, etc.) than Sub-saharan or putting the term "black" in front of Africa. We don't say "White Europe" or "Yellow Asia".

Anyway I chose Cairo and Johannesburg as a tie and Lagos a distant 3rd.

I see what you are saying but the simple reality is that Egypt, Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco and Libya have a whole lot more in common with the Middle East than Sub saharan africa...They are Muslims first, Arab (mainly Egypt and Libya, less so the Maghreb countries) second, and African a very distant third.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa