Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Prime city in Africa
Lagos 4 14.29%
Johannesburg 24 85.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:26 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times

Advertisements

I think Lagos dominates in terms of population, but Johannesburg is probably the financial capital of Africa. Cairo is also a very big city but it seems more tied to the Arab world, so I think it would be out of Lagos and Jo'burg. My personal opinion is Lagos represents Africa and African life a bit more: less modern, more chaotic, but also more vibrant, while Johannesburg seems more like a modern western city on the outside with the problems (crime, poverty) of the third world. I'm not sure which actually has the higher GDP or global influence (maybe Johannesburg), but Lagos seems to culturally represent Africa more, even if Africa is so diverse.

I don't think any other city is really much competition. Nairobi is far too small, as is Kinshasha. Africa is certainly not a continent of megacities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 10:32 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
For me its a toss up between Cairo and Johannesburg. Lagos would be a distance 3rd.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:45 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
For me its a toss up between Cairo and Johannesburg. Lagos would be a distance 3rd.
Why would you pick Cairo over Lagos?

Old 09-15-2011, 08:11 AM

126 posts, read 252,759 times
Johannesburg, not just because i'm a south african but i thiink it is the #1 city in Africa.
Wtf? LAGOS is far from it, it's so over populated.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:20 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times
Lagos is no where near Africa's #1 city, over populated doesn't mean good, certainly not for Lagos where the sheer amount of people living in bad conditions is a hindrance to the place ever being a city like Jo'burg or Cairo.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:52 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Why would you pick Cairo over Lagos?
Aside from the recent protest in Egypt. I think Cairo overall has had the more stable economy over the years.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:03 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
What if there is no "Number 1 city in Africa"? Then what?

Old 09-15-2011, 11:19 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
South Africa makes sense. It's kind of the de facto place in some way.

However, my natural instinct would have been NAIROBI, just because I think they have most of the NGO's and continental Africa representation somehow. Maybe World Bank offices or something...not sure, but always had that impression that Nairobi had many of the offices that represented all kinds of issues and political interests all over continental Africa - I could be completely wrong though.

When I think of Lagos, I just think of immense crime, and some ugly spot on the continent. To a lesser extent, I think of corporate oil interests fighting away. I don't think of it as representing anything important though, besides a high population anyways.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:39 PM

606 posts, read 1,078,576 times
What about Cape Town?

Old 09-15-2011, 05:11 PM

463 posts, read 1,129,692 times
I think Cairo is the most populated, biggest with the best infrastructure. However it's not "black Africa" but the unofficial capital of the Arabic world.
There are about 20 million people living there concentrated on a fairly small area, one of the biggest in the world. It's economy may be better than black African cities, still a lot of poverty, crumbling buildings, old cars and poor neighboorhoods. It's certainly the most interesting one with lots of historical buildings and sites, something which most black African cities lack.

Kinshasa is as big as Lagos, or most likely bigger (bot in surface and population) and as chaotic, and quite a lot poorer. However I think it's to become the African unofficial capital within a few years, as infrastructure and investment is growing rapidly as is the population

Nairobi is not nearly as big as these giant cities, almost 5 times smaller, and the "official" business center is quite small. The rest of the city is made of slums. (such as matare, the biggest in the world). There are a lot of international ngo's and other organisations in Nairobi, that's true. It also has a sizable expat and white population.

Jo'burg is small compared to even Nairobi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa