U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 08:04 PM

10,791 posts, read 7,672,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
First - someday would love to visit Africa, see the people, cultures, the land/geography, maybe do some caving while there, capture images of the beauty, the big cats and other animals, and so on... However, have no clue as to where would be best, how such is done in such a diverse, wild, and I guess in this hillbilly's eyes, quite dangerous land. Am not planning such a trip any time soon, just curious as to what to expect someday. Any/all thoughts and/or experiences are welcome. Thanks!
Expect all your expectations to be blown away! Mine were.

Though not a fan of organized holiday tours, I won a 3-week adventure tour to southern Africa a couple of years ago. At first, I wasn't happy I won it because both my husband and I were nervous to go there. We'd heard enough horror stories from South Africans and Zimbabweans when we lived in Perth to put the fear of god in us about the place. And it certainly wouldn't have been a place I'd go to on my own. In the end, the tour company was excellent, most of the people on the tour were great to hang around with (we still keep in touch), and the places we visited were amazing.

It's a place where you'll be capturing images of the beauty every minute of every day. Only saw a few big cats but it was just as remarkable to see all the other animals. Not just two or three zebras like at the zoo but dozens, along with wildebeest, hartebeest, jackals, giraffe, elephants, springbok by the thousands, oryx, etc., etc.

It was a whole lot of amazing ....
- watching the sun rise over the Red Dunes in Namibia;
- sitting in a rock pool five feet away from the edge of Victoria Falls;
- the view of Cape Town from Table Mountain;
- the gorgeous vista along Chapman's Peak Drive when we rented a car for a few days and did go out on our own;
- the excellent food and wines, and Hansa beer.

I'd highly recommend going to some part of Africa if you ever get the chance just like I'd recommend going to most any other place. Sure, it's a continent with a lot of dangers, and different dangers than most of us are used to, but if you do the research and ask people about what to do and not to do you should be fine. A guided tour is good because you are taken care of, and it's good for a first time experience in places like that. The only other time I went on a guided tour was to Egypt because I was traveling by myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 03:35 AM

32,037 posts, read 32,836,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
The economies of Gabon and Botswana are both growing at rapid rates and the two countries remain two of the most stable in regards to the economy, the government, the people, the infrastructure, etc. and safest countries in all of Africa. As such, they'd be great countries to visit and invest in.
I have visited Botswana and I would recommend it as a place to visit. Botswana is considered the "jewel" of the southern part of Africa for safari.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or