Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 09:59 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,020,777 times

Advertisements

Combining two questions into one thread here...

First - someday would love to visit Africa, see the people, cultures, the land/geography, maybe do some caving while there, capture images of the beauty, the big cats and other animals, and so on... However, have no clue as to where would be best, how such is done in such a diverse, wild, and I guess in this hillbilly's eyes, quite dangerous land. Am not planning such a trip any time soon, just curious as to what to expect someday. Any/all thoughts and/or experiences are welcome. Thanks!

Secondly - in totally different vein,,, more from the perspective of a global economy, where in Africa would be considered the most business-friendly country(s), and safest for any investments? lol, no, I personally have no plans, just curious as to why such a potentially rich region of the world is untapped, and I guess mainly due to all the upheavals, diseases, political unrest, etc... Any opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 11:16 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,362,216 times
The economies of Gabon and Botswana are both growing at rapid rates and the two countries remain two of the most stable in regards to the economy, the government, the people, the infrastructure, etc. and safest countries in all of Africa. As such, they'd be great countries to visit and invest in.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:49 PM

436 posts, read 1,171,718 times
What about south africa? btw i love africa with all my heart.

Old 09-12-2007, 09:19 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,599,496 times
I've spent some time in western Africa. One of the best experiences I had was driving out to the Burkina Faso/Mali border region, out in the Sahel desert, to visit some of the small Tuareg villages in that region. They were very curious, but welcoming. It's not common for travelers to go visit them. My general experience traveling around Africa is that it is easier than most people think. There can be some hassles (police at roadblocks in Nigeria, for example), but overall, people will be curious about you, and friendly toward you. Just learn some of the basic cultural norms, carry a phrasebook with words like 'thank you' in it in local languages, and, depending on the country, don't take photos of police or military personnel (but take pictures of other things, because they will be worth remembering).

Old 10-20-2007, 08:56 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,217,370 times
I traveled throughout Tanzania and loved it (also very safe). Went to the island of Zanzibar, the capital of Dar Es Salaam (I wouldn't recommed this stop) and then up to Arusha where we went on safari and saw Kilamjaro (sorry I can't spell!)

Old 10-22-2007, 09:45 PM

85 posts, read 627,259 times
Come to South Africa...

It has everything you could possibly want to see or do in Africa.

I just moved back in the past month (I had lived in Johannesburg for 4 years previously, now I live in the Western Cape) I really love it here.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:13 PM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,196,002 times
Certain parts of West Africa (Ghana & Cote d'Ivoire) are pretty safe.
Also Nigeria is another option which I would really not recommend but if you want to go there please make sure you stick with the guide from your hotel because roaming the streets alone and being a foreigner can be dangerous.

South Africa is nice and certain parts are safe - I would highly recommend it.

As you may know by now South Africa has a huge investment arena and Ghana has a few untapped resources. I am in the process of investing in a venture in Ghana with a few friends I went to college with -- the climate is stable and seems to be more open for foreign investments.

============

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Combining two questions into one thread here...

First - someday would love to visit Africa, see the people, cultures, the land/geography, maybe do some caving while there, capture images of the beauty, the big cats and other animals, and so on... However, have no clue as to where would be best, how such is done in such a diverse, wild, and I guess in this hillbilly's eyes, quite dangerous land. Am not planning such a trip any time soon, just curious as to what to expect someday. Any/all thoughts and/or experiences are welcome. Thanks!

Secondly - in totally different vein,,, more from the perspective of a global economy, where in Africa would be considered the most business-friendly country(s), and safest for any investments? lol, no, I personally have no plans, just curious as to why such a potentially rich region of the world is untapped, and I guess mainly due to all the upheavals, diseases, political unrest, etc... Any opinions?

Old 10-26-2007, 01:35 AM

21 posts, read 133,609 times
I agree with Voltaire - Western Cape: beautiful mountains, winelands, beaches, people.
The Natal North and South Coasts are excellent as well.
Alan

Old 11-30-2011, 07:21 PM

126 posts, read 251,701 times
I would recommend South africa first(my homeland ofcourse), Mozambique, Swaziland, Botswana and Namibia. go for it
It's time for Africa !!!

Old 12-01-2011, 01:37 PM

126 posts, read 251,701 times
Well, despite our many problems like HIV, Inequality, unemployment, etc...South Africa is still ranked as an upper-middle income economy by the World Bank. It has the largest economy in Africa, and the 28th-largest in the world, our transport system and infrastructure is considered better than that of China, India, Mexico, Brazil and Poland, our infrastructure is by far the best in the continent and far better than in some european and asian countries, we were officially invited to join and joined the BRICS(group of the five emerging-market nations in the world), etc. And I am very proud to be South African even with our problems...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa