U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 03:20 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,113,233 times

Advertisements

Many of the discussions about Africa are so profoundly negative, that I wanted to hear about positive experiences that Americans have had while traveling or living on the continent. I would especially like to know about Ghana, as that is the country I want to visit, but any one of the 50+ countries in Africa is fine to discuss as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 04:34 PM

Maybe I should open this up to Europeans, as they do more extensive travel, but I was trying to get the perspective of Americans. If someone can recommend another site to go to that would be fine too. I just thought City-Data would be a good place for this topic.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:42 PM

1,511 posts, read 7,084,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Maybe I should open this up to Europeans, as they do more extensive travel, but I was trying to get the perspective of Americans. If someone can recommend another site to go to that would be fine too. I just thought City-Data would be a good place for this topic.
Many Americans also are traveling and living abroad too, so don't limit yourself to just Europeans.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:29 AM

30,316 posts, read 31,181,855 times
I visited Botswana and South Africa approx. 7 years.

I found Botswana to be a relatively safe country and the local people very friendly. I visited Botswana's capital Gabarone which was a relatively peaceful place but with not all that much to offer tourists. On the other hand, I was visited Kasane in Northern Botswana. There I went not only a land safari trip but also a water safari trip on the Zambezi river where I saw elephants wading crossing the river which was incredible site.

I also visited Johannesburg in South Africa which seems to be an unsafe place due racism issues. On the other hand, I went to the Cradle of Humankind safari nearby. There the animals in the safari seems to live in harmony as the groups of animals interacted quite peacefully and that was impressive. Also in the Cradle of Humankind area is the Wondercave with breathtaking drip stone formations. I also visited some non-functioning gold mines in the area (as there was a gold rush in South Africa in the 1800s which were interesting.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:25 PM

242 posts, read 365,735 times
I absolutely loved the year I spent in Nigeria, Cross River State in the camp of ITT Nigeria Ltd, Telephone Outside Plant, on the road between Uyo and Abak, about 2.5 miles from Abak on the left hand side, about 2 miles from the river. "Champion" Beer is delicious, I understand how it got it's name. The two "Jimmies" at their compound outside of Abak and the Palm Oil plantations they controlled, nice guys those two Scots. I suspect they had the only concrete swimming pool within a hundred miles. The Catholic Mission on the left going from Abak to Ikot Ekpene may well have been the only missionary group that gave to the locals instead of stealing from them.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:28 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,248,304 times
I've visited South Africa a couple times and had a great time. Yes, you have to be careful and there are still racial issues but I still managed to enjoy myself. I didn't run into many other Americans though. When I went on the tour of Robben Island, where Mandela was held, I was the only American in a group of around 40-50 people. There were lots of Europeans and Aussies on the tour though.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:03 AM

15,688 posts, read 34,675,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
I've visited South Africa a couple times and had a great time. Yes, you have to be careful and there are still racial issues but I still managed to enjoy myself. I didn't run into many other Americans though. When I went on the tour of Robben Island, where Mandela was held, I was the only American in a group of around 40-50 people. There were lots of Europeans and Aussies on the tour though.
That seems pretty typical everywhere I've went as well. Americans just don't seem to have the time to travel.

I spent 10 months in South America, and easily met 1000 Europeans, Isrelis, etc. I probably only met around 10-15 Americans in that entire time.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:37 PM

4,541 posts, read 9,493,975 times
Americans don't get the time off like Europeans do.

We just spent 2 weeks in Tanzania and it was wonderful. There is no doubt we'll be back to Africa. Not sure where but we will go back.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Americans don't get the time off like Europeans do.

We just spent 2 weeks in Tanzania and it was wonderful. There is no doubt we'll be back to Africa. Not sure where but we will go back.
What did you like about Tanzania?

Old 06-22-2012, 02:16 PM

4,541 posts, read 9,493,975 times
The people are wonderful. And of course the National Parks. It was just an amazing experience. We camped for 2 weeks and spent the last 3 days hiking with our stuff on donkeys.

Very beautiful place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or