U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 03:44 PM

218 posts, read 331,536 times

Advertisements

Aren't there many Europeans living in Marrakech?

How about Angola & Namibia? They seem safe and laid back African nations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 06:36 PM

497 posts, read 435,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
I honestly think that nobody from developed countries can say he finds any country in Africa "livable".If livable means all you need is a hut and a roof, well, then I guess it would be "livable".
The ignorance...it must burn, yes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkSam View Post
Aren't there many Europeans living in Marrakech?

How about Angola & Namibia? They seem safe and laid back African nations.
I don't know much about Namibia, only that it is essentially all desert and is not very populated for its size.

Angola has Luanda, which is the most international city in the country. It is also one of the top FIVE most expensive cities for expats. Otherwise, Angola has been developing and growing at an enviable rate, with many Portuguese people now moving to the country, as well as the DRC. Angola has been touted as one of the African countries on the rise.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:09 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,371,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
The ignorance...it must burn, yes?

Ignorance, huh? If I started a list about all the diseases, poverty, human rights abuses, crime rates, low life expectations, economic problems etc. in Africa, I'd be busy all week long.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Ignorance, huh? If I started a list about all the diseases, poverty, human rights abuses, crime rates, low life expectations, economic problems etc. in Africa, I'd be busy all week long.
But you didn't. You started by implying that life in Africa "means all you need is a hut and a roof." If you were to argue that the continent is "unlivable" due to crime rates, corruption, or other problems, I would not have much of a problem with your statement. However, you did not. You first gauged the region's livability by how well one could survive "a hut and a roof," an unfair -and increasingly inaccurate- brush with which to paint the continent.

So yes, your statement was ignorant, as well as mildly offensive.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:22 AM

11,403 posts, read 10,193,874 times
Quote:
If you were living in Africa as an expat trying to make a life for yourself, would you do it in the midst of all those problems or would you actually live in a nice neighborhood of a fairly cosmopolitan large city working a well-paying job? I'd probably choose the latter.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:29 PM

5,618 posts, read 6,658,486 times
The thing is, many westerners can actually improve their quality of life in many regards by relocating to an African city. The biggest difference is in real estate prices. The price of a modest apartment in a European or North American city might buy you an entire small villa in Africa, with quite a bit more land, room for trees and tropical fruit bushes, and features like swimming pools or outdoor stone fire pits/grills. That's probably the main reason that western expats move to Africa, aside from location-specific jobs.

Also, think of how much an urban house or apartment near the ocean or a beach costs in much of the west. It's a lot cheaper on most of the African coastline. So not only do you have a larger property, but it's also close to tropical beaches.

There are plenty of drawbacks, but when you stroll out of a fresh produce market with 15 dollars worth of food that would have cost 60 dollars back in the US, you can see some of the advantages, too.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:59 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,371,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
If you were living in Africa as an expat trying to make a life for yourself, would you do it in the midst of all those problems or would you actually live in a nice neighborhood of a fairly cosmopolitan large city working a well-paying job? I'd probably choose the latter.
Yeah, that's gonna help. That's like cleaning up a spot in a landfill to eat from. The tiny spot might be clean and nice, but everything around it still stinks.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:55 PM

706 posts, read 827,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
^ Interesting, did not know how many Chinese were moving to Africa...it does seem like a sort of economic colonialism...Like a crouching tiger, China is picking it's time, pouncing after all the European colonies left Africa. I think the whole world needs to stop relying so much on China and Chinese goods.
A generation or so ago, most African shops were owned by Indians, or by Lebanese, who did the same things in Africa that the Chinese are doing now. The only difference was that the Indians and Lebanese had to get there on their own their own and finance their own emporiums. Now, Chinese merchants are sponsored by their government. When a mercantile opportunity exists anywhere, it will be filled by whomever has the ability and determination to exploit it, and one is as good as another. Isn't that the American spirit of free enterprise at work? How would Africans be better off it it were WalMart and Piggly Wiggy and Starbucks in there instead?

In fact, Idi Amin expelled all the Indians from Uganda on 24 hours notice, and herded them to the airports and confiscated their property. Be careful you don't advocate a similar kind of expulsion of Chinese from Africa. The behavior is not becoming.

Last edited by CowanStern; 06-15-2012 at 11:07 PM..

Old 06-16-2012, 01:16 AM

13,013 posts, read 19,886,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
Countries that seem most livable, however, seem to be Morocco, Mozambique (well, maybe just Maputo), South Africa, Ghana, and Kenya. These countries also seem to have the most future, as Angola continues to funnel its money into few hands and Nigeria consistently grapples with Muslim fundamentalism.
I don't know much about Maputo? What makes that livable compared to others in Mozambique?

Old 06-16-2012, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I don't know much about Maputo? What makes that livable compared to others in Mozambique?
...I'm not quite sure why this statement was directed at me, but I never questioned your knowledge of Maputo, so I'm confused about your first question...

As for the second question, Maputo is the capital of Mozambique. It is the largest and most important city, so it is naturally more advanced than other places within the country. What's more, capitals usually fair the best out of cities within a country. They usually shielded from the worst maladies that a country offers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa