U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 07:30 PM

2,104 posts, read 2,143,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
Useless | Define Useless at Dictionary.com

See papa? I can post links TOO!
Wouldn't be so useless to you if you had actually read it. This is worse than a kindergarten here.

Quote:
is the use of exaggeration as a rhetorical device or figure of speech

Hyperboles are exaggerations to create emphasis or effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 07:35 PM

491 posts, read 384,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Wouldn't be so useless to you if you had actually read it. This is worse than a kindergarten here.
How, exactly? Your silly link proves little, except that you know how to post links. How sure are you, exactly, that the phrase was a hyperbole? That can be argued either way, because there are DEFINITELY people who believe the "hut" statement as they live and breathe. It isn't uncommon for people to think this about African life, especially when that is often shown on television....Did you read the definition yourself?

Catty | Define Catty at Dictionary.com

Old 06-16-2012, 08:02 PM

12,447 posts, read 18,412,403 times
Quote:
...I'm not quite sure why this statement was directed at me, but I never questioned your knowledge of Maputo, so I'm confused about your first question...

As for the second question, Maputo is the capital of Mozambique. It is the largest and most important city, so it is naturally more advanced than other places within the country. What's more, capitals usually fair the best out of cities within a country. They usually shielded from the worst maladies that a country offers.
Sorry, error in my punctuation. I meant to say "I don't know anything about Maputo".

Thanks for the answer though. I also hadn't heard of Maputo, so I didn't realize it was the capital either.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:12 PM

5,590 posts, read 6,350,105 times
Think of it this way - if someone on the internet were to say, "I'm moving to Los Angeles; what is it like?" and someone replied with "Well, if you are a crack-addicted homeless vagrant, it's going to be very rough. There's a high risk of assault, a significant risk of outright murder, and your stuff will get stolen all the time if you aren't watching it."

While true, it's probably not a very relevant answer.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:21 PM

706 posts, read 751,924 times
It's nice to see that the word Maputo can now be used in this site, without defauoting to Ma****. I wonder how that came about.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:25 PM

491 posts, read 384,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Sorry, error in my punctuation. I meant to say "I don't know anything about Maputo".

Thanks for the answer though. I also hadn't heard of Maputo, so I didn't realize it was the capital either.
Absolutely no worries, my friend! I'm glad I shined some light on the city for you!

Old 06-17-2012, 08:32 AM

13,856 posts, read 13,173,715 times
Mauritius, Seychelles, Tunisia from what I can tell. Ghana and Botswana are said to be okay too.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:04 PM

11,049 posts, read 9,360,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Yeah, that's gonna help. That's like cleaning up a spot in a landfill to eat from. The tiny spot might be clean and nice, but everything around it still stinks.
I would assume you'd be smart enough to not be in a landfill. Given that Africa is so incredibly large and varied, it seems kind of idiotic to go straight for the worst parts of it.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:13 PM

2,104 posts, read 2,143,553 times
Default Wow....

Quote:
How, exactly? Your silly link proves little, except that you know how to post links. How sure are you, exactly, that the phrase was a hyperbole? That can be argued either way, because there are DEFINITELY people who believe the "hut" statement as they live and breathe. It isn't uncommon for people to think this about African life, especially when that is often shown on television....Did you read the definition yourself?

Catty | Define Catty at Dictionary.com
What the hell are you talking about? How old are you ? 10 ?

I posted this link so you would understand my "hut" comment. I don't care what others may think. This was the explanation for my comment.

And the comments in bold... uh, really!? Who woulda thought... maybe it's because there are a lot of people who actually DO live in huts...

Old 06-21-2012, 04:07 AM

2,295 posts, read 727,342 times

Kigali: The safest & Cleanest City in the World, Rwanda 2011 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa