U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: South Africa, more Dutch or British?
More Dutch influence 20 40.82%
More British influence 29 59.18%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 09:37 PM

2 posts, read 24,125 times

Advertisements

South Africa was ruled by both the Netherlands and Britain for roughly equivalent amounts of time. Both countries not only left settlers in the country (Afrikaners and Anglo-Africans), but also left a mark on the natives living within the country.

So which culture has more influence in South Africa? Dutch or British?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 02:28 PM

208 posts, read 665,450 times
BIG misconception of Afrikaners. We are Dutch: False.

We have descended from German, Dutch, and French. Our language's origin is based in Dutch, but it is more influenced by French and German.

Afrikaners have been in Africa since the late 17th Century. We have literally called Africa home for centuries.
Most Afrikaners (including myself) will tell you that we consider Africa our homeland. We are African.

The landscape, the smell, our culture, the way we see the world is purely African. We are African.

The same way a white from Australian feels exclusively and proudly Australian. We feel African.
Every single relative I can think of, close and distant, is from Africa (be it Suid-Afrika, Mozambique, Angola, Namibia, Zimbabwe) and we are all white, but not all are Afrikaners. And even though we are white, we are distinctively African.

I think we feel as much European as North Americans, Australians, and New Zealanders do. Not much at all.
Our families, our ancestors have not been in the European continent in centuries. We have developed an adapted culture of our surroundings.

I am an Afrikaner. I am a South African. And I am a African. A Proud African!

Old 08-11-2012, 08:00 PM

671 posts, read 556,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpxexaxcxex View Post
The landscape, the smell, our culture, the way we see the world is purely African. We are African.

The same way a white from Australian feels exclusively and proudly Australian. We feel African.
Hilarious!
Generally Europeans in Africa have not integrated into African cultures in any way. They don't speak our languages, they don't dress like us, they imported their religions and bland food. Rumor has it that in South Africa they even went to great extremes to keep themselves separate from us....something called apartheid.

But I guess some days I wake up feeling like Marilyn Monroe....or at least how I assume she felt.

Ok OP I won't derail your thread anymore. After all your question was not about how African the British or Dutch "feel." It was about which one has had more of an influence.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:49 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,431,322 times
It's in the Commonwealth for a reason, hence making my vote rather obvious.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:31 PM

757 posts, read 1,863,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
Hilarious!
Generally Europeans in Africa have not integrated into African cultures in any way. They don't speak our languages, they don't dress like us, they imported their religions and bland food. Rumor has it that in South Africa they even went to great extremes to keep themselves separate from us....something called apartheid.

But I guess some days I wake up feeling like Marilyn Monroe....or at least how I assume she felt.

Ok OP I won't derail your thread anymore. After all your question was not about how African the British or Dutch "feel." It was about which one has had more of an influence.
Actually, even Jacob Zuma called Afrikaners the only white African tribe.

If you look at the mosaic of African cultures, groups have separated themselves historically over time. What do you think wars all over Africa are about? Almost all in some way or another have ethnicity/tribe related issues. In Rwanda, in Congo, C'ote D'Ivoire, all wars caused by people not 'fully integrating'.

And actually, even through apartheid, many Afrikaners, aside from Afrikaans and English, also learned MANY south African languages. They obviously had to work with natives a lot, so many Afrikaners learned Xhosa, Zulu, among other languages.

Yes, there were injustices through apartheid, but grosser atrocities against humanity in the name of ethnicity were committed throughout the continent... don't be so quick to judge people on history.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:32 PM

757 posts, read 1,863,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forza_United View Post
South Africa was ruled by both the Netherlands and Britain for roughly equivalent amounts of time. Both countries not only left settlers in the country (Afrikaners and Anglo-Africans), but also left a mark on the natives living within the country.

So which culture has more influence in South Africa? Dutch or British?
I would say CHRISTIAN culture had the biggest influence in South Africa. South African Christians make American evangelicals look hedonistic. They didn't even allow TV 'till the 70s.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:13 PM

42,670 posts, read 69,774,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
I would say CHRISTIAN culture had the biggest influence in South Africa. South African Christians make American evangelicals look hedonistic. They didn't even allow TV 'till the 70s.

Religious fundamentalism had nothing to do with the late arrival of TV. The Afrikaans-speaking population feared that if TV became accessible, nearly all the programming would be imported from English-speaking countries (USA and UK), and as a result, Afrikaans would decline into a dead language at the expense of English.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:46 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,864,874 times
Isn't English becoming the most important language in post-apartheid South Africa? I heard that many black South Africans still see Afrikaners as the language of apartheid, so English is becoming the preferred European language. Another factor may be due to the fact that English is a much more widely understood, international language, used extensively in Africa. Hence, it is just bound to become more important than Afrikaners (even if there are more native speakers of Afrikaners than English!).

Old 08-12-2012, 07:55 PM

24,683 posts, read 41,719,853 times
As was mentioned, Afrikaaners are not all Dutch by ancestry, but like the United States being multi-cultural but Anglo-derived, it's still a predominantly Dutch-derived culture, from the language, customs, food.etc. I also agree with the other posters: British Australians or Afrikaaners are not fully indigenous: they've imported foreign languages, social customs, livestock.etc. When they start eating grubs and bush food instead of roast beef then I'll buy it.

I'd say since most white South Africans speak Afrikaaners, there's more Dutch influence (also German, French.etc), but the British influence is certainly there especially in the western Cape Province and Jo'burg.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:56 PM

4,308 posts, read 11,246,693 times
My South African friend, who grew up in Durban, says Afrikaans is more like Flemish than Dutch and therefore the influence is more Belgian/French. Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or