Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 11:14 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
We all know he's made an absurd assertion.
We both know that. I'm trying to get him to admit it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 11:41 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
But what about the educated and healthy African men who STAY in Africa, or return to Africa after getting their education abroad? Explain how it would help their chances. I'm not talking about literacy rates or HIV rates. I'm talking about the African men who buck the trend, who are educated, HIV negative, and are living in Africa right now.

And you still haven't proven to me that every African man has AIDS. You are showing me likelihood, but you aren't showing me actually PERCENTAGES. Show me the percentage of African men, broken down by nation, who have HIV.
I think, for the tiny number of educated African males who remain in or return to Africa, there are enough nicely marriageable women to go around, whether the Chinese are there to compete for them or not. Don't forget that in much of Africa, a price (in livestock) still has to be paid for a bride.
As far as I know, there are no reliable statistics concerning HIV positive rates, partly owing to difficulties testing large numbers of people, particularly in non-urban areas. But it is high, and the perception of HIV risk is pervasive enough, that prospective brides have justifiable reason to think that marriage outside African partners significantly reduces that risk. For AIDS to reduce the life expectancy in Swaziland into the 30s, the HIV rate must certainly be higher than the published values. I have learned to be very suspicious of published statistics concerning data whose very collection is highly problematic, and which is subject to considerable error-prone manipulation, and this is definitely one of them. However, you are correct that my characterization of the number was overstated.

Chinese men stealing African brides is simply not an issue, compared to the gravity of other obstacles to African development. Besides, it is my understanding, based on a few reports, that it is the norm for Chinese going to Africa to take their Chinese wives and children along with them. Chinese men taking African wives is probably an anecdotal few.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-16-2012 at 11:53 PM..

Old 08-17-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think, for the tiny number of educated African males who remain in or return to Africa, there are enough nicely marriageable women to go around, whether the Chinese are there to compete for them or not. Don't forget that in much of Africa, a price (in livestock) still has to be paid for a bride.

As far as I know, there are no reliable statistics concerning HIV positive rates, partly owing to difficulties testing large numbers of people, particularly in non-urban areas. But it is high, and the perception of HIV risk is pervasive enough, that prospective brides have justifiable reason to think that marriage outside African partners significantly reduces that risk. For AIDS to reduce the life expectancy in Swaziland into the 30s, the HIV rate must certainly be higher than the published values. I have learned to be very suspicious of published statistics concerning data whose very collection is highly problematic, and which is subject to considerable error-prone manipulation, and this is definitely one of them. However, you are correct that my characterization of the number was overstated.

Chinese men stealing African brides is simply not an issue, compared to the gravity of other obstacles to African development. Besides, it is my understanding, based on a few reports, that it is the norm for Chinese going to Africa to take their Chinese wives and children along with them. Chinese men taking African wives is probably an anecdotal few.
Okay, let me start from the beginning. I don't have a problem with Chinese men marrying African women. I have no issues there. I'm Black American and if a woman outside of my race wanted to date me, then I would be more than happy to do so. All that I ask is that she is a nice person and a Christian woman(preferably Catholic, as I'm also Catholic). My issue is that African men will be passed up for marriage based on bad perceptions of African men. I have an issue with that because I am a Black male and I know what it feels like for other people to have a bad reception of me based on what other persons who happen to look like me have done. And as for bride price in cattle, that is true for the rural parts of Africa, but not for the cities. The cities don't have such a custom.

Even if the risk is high, please answer this for me: How does this help the African men who are not infected with HIV? Where does that leave them?

Old 08-17-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
My issue is that African men will be passed up for marriage based on bad perceptions of African men.
Somehow, I think African women have fairly objective perceptions of African men, and can take them or leave them without appealing to those of us on this forum for guidance.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:39 PM

69 posts, read 136,674 times
Starvation is not inevitable, but the result of years and years of incompetence, corruption, war. If the land were properly managed, the continent of Africa would be able to feed the entire world.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:46 AM

There are plenty of crops grown in Africa, but nothing that people can eat. Most of the arable land is owned by rich landlords, who grow and export things like cocoa, coffee, tea, sugar, spices, oilseeds, because a great deal more money can be made by exporting food than by selling it to people who have no money. The same profiteers then import the food that Africans eat, which they sell in Africa for another layer of profit.

I saw tins of pineapple on African grocery shelves, labeled "product of France". The pineapple was shippped to France, put in cans, and then shipped back to Africa.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:07 AM

259 posts, read 365,954 times
If the United States continues to collapse financially it will pose a serious limitation of food distribution to many African nations. Africa is an extremely fragile continent immersed in sort of a collage of serious issues. Corruption is rampant with everything from A-Z. Ethnic cleansing,religious percecution,lack of wells,diplacing of farmers,poorly maintained refugee camps,looting and cattle pouching,drought, diseaseAids/Malaria/Ameobic dysentary/viruses Solutions are continued aid by the world food bank,missionaries, charities, UN assistance , with local governments to drill for water and distribute food. These bandaids help but I would form a special combat team consisting of MGS Stryker Brigade and 400,000 guerrilla warfare ground troops combined with at least 1500 traveling sharpshooters. I would seek and destroy pockets of intelligence spotted rebels. I would guard vunerable villages . The sharpshoots would assassinate known ruthless leaders and their staff or under the Geneva convention guidelines round up the scum and prepare them for extradiction for trial . These armed forces would be accompanied by provisions for villagers,city dwellers,remote huts,and refugee camps. They would apprehend and retain those identified by refugees as corrupt leaders and criminals . The ground troops would literally hunt for anyone threatening the population. I would affectionally title the forces as the "Rod and Gun Club" It's time to clean house on Africa and allow these sweet, beautiful people to simply homestead as they have done for centuries raise their kids in a loving, nurtured,free environment.

Other means of help:

We bury,burn or allow to decay millions of tons of wood in the US that could be put on tankers
and distributed to villages and refugee camps now forced to go miles to deforest animal hab-
itats and alter the eco-system. Create a recycle system in the US and allied countries. THis
week they trimmed our trees and had probably 2 tons of wood 2-4 inches in diameter, much
was ground up to make mulch! Wood reclaimed after storms is often put in a land fill ! Are
you kidding me????

Last edited by Rabbidave; 10-28-2012 at 11:20 AM..

Old 10-28-2012, 04:07 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
I agree with the "collage of serious issues". Where are the 400k ground troops going to come from? Certainly not from the USA. Why not kill off all the leaders that are cheating and stealing from the people while you are at it? That would be almost all of them. And looking in the mirror, we have plenty of those right here at home. The struggles will continue, people will starve and die, it will be old and forgotten news to most as it always is. Those that care will continue to help. I can't see good honest leaders taking over any time soon.

Solar and wind power would be better long term options than transporting wood in fuel sucking tankers across the seas.

Take a look at this video, it made me happy to see these people trying so hard. More programs like this would be helpful.

We are Abalimi. We are the Farmers. - YouTube

http://www.abalimi.org.za/

Last edited by todd00; 10-28-2012 at 04:19 PM..

Old 10-28-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
There are plenty of crops grown in Africa, but nothing that people can eat. Most of the arable land is owned by rich landlords, who grow and export things like cocoa, coffee, tea, sugar, spices, oilseeds, because a great deal more money can be made by exporting food than by selling it to people who have no money. The same profiteers then import the food that Africans eat, which they sell in Africa for another layer of profit.

I saw tins of pineapple on African grocery shelves, labeled "product of France". The pineapple was shippped to France, put in cans, and then shipped back to Africa.
It wasn't always like this in Africa.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Somehow, I think African women have fairly objective perceptions of African men, and can take them or leave them without appealing to those of us on this forum for guidance.
But there are people on this forum suggesting that African men(or Black men generally) should be passed up in favor of men of other ethnicities. I take it very personal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa