Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 03:07 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post

I mean, Zimbabwe is right there next to South Africa too. How come they aren't doing as well or getting all this outside money that you talk about? What's the difference between the two other than government policies? No one wants to invest in Zimbabwe because of it's highly corrupt government - so they go somewhere with lot less corruption - Botswana.
Botswana got in on the ground floor. The foundation was being laid by the Boers for Botswana's development when the Ian Smith regime was still creating a globally toxic tank for Rhodesian development. The future of Botswana was already being charted and clearly visible in 1975, when nobody would put a nickel in Rhodesia, which in fact was on the global boycott list..

Besides the fact that Rhodesia's economy was already entirely in the hands of whites within the country, so concessions were not cheaply available to the Boers from RSA. In fact, white Rhodesian capital was fleeing the country long before Zimbabwe came into exiatence, much of it already being invested in the emerging Botswana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 01:49 PM

43,641 posts, read 44,368,561 times
I have visited Botswana and found it to be relatively safe for travelers. I spent time in the capital Gaborone as well the city of Kasane in the northern part of the country. I found the people to be quite friendly. I also did a land as well as river safari tour in Northern Botswana which were both quite enjoyable. Before going to Botswana I had been told by a South African woman that Botswana is considered to be the "jewel" of the southern part of Africa and I agree. I believe that Botswana's biggest problem is the spread of AIDS.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:11 AM

3,978 posts, read 6,787,315 times
Seretse Khama was a great leader, and even being very popular, never had any intentions to become a dictator, and always respected democracy.

Seretse Khama was the secret for the success of Botswana.

I hope Botswana can improve its industrialization proccess, and invest more in higher education and in scientific research.

I think this country has a bright future, specially if it works together with Namibia, its neighbor, as a partner for development.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:50 AM

7,528 posts, read 11,361,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Seretse Khama was a great leader, and even being very popular, never had any intentions to become a dictator, and always respected democracy.

Seretse Khama was the secret for the success of Botswana.
It would be good for Africa if he got more attention. This would bring more attention to his approach to development that others could learn from. I'd like to see him be as well known as Kwame Nkrumah and Julius Nyerere.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:26 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,170,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Botswana got in on the ground floor. The foundation was being laid by the Boers for Botswana's development when the Ian Smith regime was still creating a globally toxic tank for Rhodesian development. The future of Botswana was already being charted and clearly visible in 1975, when nobody would put a nickel in Rhodesia, which in fact was on the global boycott list..

Besides the fact that Rhodesia's economy was already entirely in the hands of whites within the country, so concessions were not cheaply available to the Boers from RSA. In fact, white Rhodesian capital was fleeing the country long before Zimbabwe came into exiatence, much of it already being invested in the emerging Botswana.
Rhodesia and even Zimbabwe in its early years did okay and grew economically. It only cratered when Mugabe decided to rule as he had always wanted to instead of continuing as an economically free country.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:20 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Just an idea, but Botswana seems like it would be easier to travel than others.

Just browsed Botswana travel guide - Wikitravel, and it seems to be one of the safest, as well as many of the sites people would like to see - the national parks, etc.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:45 AM

43,641 posts, read 44,368,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Just an idea, but Botswana seems like it would be easier to travel than others.

Just browsed Botswana travel guide - Wikitravel, and it seems to be one of the safest, as well as many of the sites people would like to see - the national parks, etc.
It is a pretty safe country and has lots to offer visitors.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:31 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,213,679 times
Botswana is a great country if you look on maps google you can count 4 new buildings being built and then mover your courser around some more and you will see nice high tech buildings, too me all the countries in Africa should be observing Botswana for its fine work!

Old 01-29-2013, 10:52 PM

10,069 posts, read 14,947,742 times
I just did a virtual tour of much of the country. The capital city seems rather small and outside of the capital, the country does appears depopulated. In general, I don't like the capital city, but it does looks orderly, clean and even prosperous. I searched and searched and couldn't find a single slum. Also, plenty of shiny cars on the streets too.

botswana - Google Maps

I don't think that prosperity will last. I have read that Botswana has an illegal immigration problem with some of its neighbors, especially Zimbabwe. If they are not able to control that illegal immigration flow, their country will overflow with extremely poor people and in the vicinity of the nice areas they have now, plenty of slums will pop up. That's what happens with unchecked immigration in the developing world.

Last edited by AntonioR; 01-29-2013 at 11:02 PM..

Old 01-30-2013, 09:00 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,170,917 times
Botswana has one of the lowest population densities in the world (less than 2 million people in the entire country if I remember correctly). That's why they have the small capital and a desolate looking hinterland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa