U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2012, 11:42 AM

5,196 posts, read 4,680,773 times

Advertisements

If anyone would like to share the music, myths, legends, dances, etc coming from the continent; north or south, east or west; ancient, medieval or modern; then this is the place.

Personally I am interested if there is anything comparable to Brazilian Capoiera that is known to have existed around the area of modern Angola. I know Brazilian Capoeria is also sometimes known as Capoeira Angola, but I have not found anything about any indigneous martial arts practiced in modern Angola or in any other part of the continent, at least not much in English 'cept for some vague remarks.

So lets make this a great cultural thread!

Old 09-04-2012, 12:04 PM

6,987 posts, read 15,490,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
If anyone would like to share the music, myths, legends, dances, etc coming from the continent; north or south, east or west; ancient, medieval or modern; then this is the place.

Personally I am interested if there is anything comparable to Brazilian Capoiera that is known to have existed around the area of modern Angola. I know Brazilian Capoeria is also sometimes known as Capoeira Angola, but I have not found anything about any indigneous martial arts practiced in modern Angola or in any other part of the continent, at least not much in English 'cept for some vague remarks.

So lets make this a great cultural thread!
There are a number of "martial arts" in Africa

There is Nguni of southern Africa, this is also similar to a fighting style found in Ethiopia.

There are various types of wrestling styles in W. Africa such as Laamb. there are also wrestling styles in Sudan.

Then there is Dambe in Hausaland, which shows striking resemblance to a fighting style you see on some of the wall reliefs in ancient Egypt.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:58 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,316,376 times
My most frequented music source is Soukous Radio out of Kinshasa. Featuring music of the 1970's Soukous style.

Soukous Radio BroadBand

I guess it has special meaning to me because I was there in the '70's, being steeped in it.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:35 PM

Outside of learning about any precedents to Capeoira, I am also interested in seeing examples of horsemanship, swordmanship, camelry, armor, shields, javelins & lances. The type of boats that have been used from the Senegal to the Nile would also be nifty.

Other than the martial, pictures & videos of coastal areas, mountains, deserts & oases would be appreciated. Monuments & architecture as well.

Since I already mentioned Brazil if anyone wants to share info on African inspired survivals in the Americas such as the various belief systems of Brazil, Cuba & New Orleans or perhaps Geeche & Gullah folk music (if such a thing exists), those would be welcome as well.

Oh and if anyone is going to post a video if it is not at least English subtitled, at least give the gist of what it is supposed to be about.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:25 AM

Given the number of poser,...., er,......, posters claiming to be nubian olmecs, I'm surprised they have yet to share their vast knowledge of the motherland with the forum.

Guess they have much more important topics on their minds such as: "Do west africans have bigger butts than east africans"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or