U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-23-2014, 03:05 AM
 
2,241 posts, read 2,677,750 times
Reputation: 424

Advertisements

Well, "people of color" (whatever that really truly means" are in fact the world's MAJORITY. So called "white people" are the world's minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-23-2014, 03:52 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,269,689 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
There are black people in virtually every nation in the world.

In addition there are many Afrodiasporic groups that have migrated back to Africa or even on to other parts of the globe and then Africans migrate as well. So it's truly global.
Maybe, not nowhere near the extent or size of the Chinese diaspora. I'm talking 100,000. Outside Africa black people are mostly found in northern South America, the Caribbean, the US, and to a lesser extent the UK and Italy. In contrast, the Chinese are well represented in countries as diverse as Malaysia, Australia, parts of Africa, France, UK, US, Canada, Jamaica, Peru, Brazil...you get the picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2014, 03:54 AM
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
9,781 posts, read 16,269,689 times
Reputation: 2833
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Well, "people of color" (whatever that really truly means" are in fact the world's MAJORITY. So called "white people" are the world's minority.
There are about 1 billion Africans, 1 billion Europeans and middle easterners, maybe 1.5 billion South Asians, 2 billion East Asians, 1 billion New Worlders...etc. There are probably about 1 billion 'white people' in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2014, 07:56 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,442 posts, read 22,387,220 times
Reputation: 8635
Depends how one defines it. If we mean black/subsaharan Africans, it's probably more like 3rd largest racial group. Asians are clearly the largest. White Europeans probably slightly outnumber black Africans. However, Asians really should be devided into two groups for this sort of comparison; South Asians and East Asians. This arrangement puts EA at the top with south Asians second and white Europeans and Black Africans coming in next.

All this of course is if things were as neat as that.. Middle Easterners are usually considered Caucasian but not European. North Africans blur the lines between the two further. Then there are Latin Americans, many of whom are mixed with European, African and Native ancestry. Also, if we go deeper than simple outward appearance, things get dicier still. Some Black Americans, despite outward appearance have been shown to cluster genetically more with Europeans than Africans while at least a few Europeans might be closer to Asians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2014, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,483 posts, read 10,480,113 times
Reputation: 5401
The worldwide population of people of African descent is well over a billion people. It would be tough to get an exact count but the number is probably around 1.2 billion if you include the worldwide diaspora of people that are of African descent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2014, 10:03 PM
 
Location: West Coast
1,199 posts, read 2,196,911 times
Reputation: 2098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Depends how one defines it. If we mean black/subsaharan Africans, it's probably more like 3rd largest racial group. Asians are clearly the largest. White Europeans probably slightly outnumber black Africans. However, Asians really should be devided into two groups for this sort of comparison; South Asians and East Asians. This arrangement puts EA at the top with south Asians second and white Europeans and Black Africans coming in next.

All this of course is if things were as neat as that.. Middle Easterners are usually considered Caucasian but not European. North Africans blur the lines between the two further. Then there are Latin Americans, many of whom are mixed with European, African and Native ancestry. Also, if we go deeper than simple outward appearance, things get dicier still. Some Black Americans, despite outward appearance have been shown to cluster genetically more with Europeans than Africans while at least a few Europeans might be closer to Asians.
Why would East Asians and South Asians be separated? Both are simply Asian. Also, if some Black Americans cluster genetically more with Caucasions, then why are they not treated as Caucasion? I always ask people this, and I generally get the silent treatment. The answer is that Caucasions are not flexible when it comes to these things. Being White is an incredibly exclusive club. This is especially true if outward appearances tell the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2014, 10:39 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,442 posts, read 22,387,220 times
Reputation: 8635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Why would East Asians and South Asians be separated? Both are simply Asian. Also, if some Black Americans cluster genetically more with Caucasions, then why are they not treated as Caucasion? I always ask people this, and I generally get the silent treatment. The answer is that Caucasions are not flexible when it comes to these things. Being White is an incredibly exclusive club. This is especially true if outward appearances tell the story.
Because some consider east and south asians as different. Notice I gave both examples? I couldn't tell you why a Black American with more Caucasian genetic markers isn't considered Caucasian. It could be whites aren't as flexible. Then again, I have to wonder how many Black Americans who fit into that group would be willing to call themselves Caucasian. Goes both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2014, 11:52 PM
 
4,654 posts, read 3,714,102 times
Reputation: 1408
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
There are black people in virtually every nation in the world.

In addition there are many Afrodiasporic groups that have migrated back to Africa or even on to other parts of the globe and then Africans migrate as well. So it's truly global.
I don't think there a chinese community in Saudia Arabia and i don't think there is any black communities in Russia.
There is always exception to the rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2014, 03:38 PM
 
334 posts, read 359,457 times
Reputation: 61
Yes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2014, 03:40 PM
 
334 posts, read 359,457 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
I don't think there a chinese community in Saudia Arabia and i don't think there is any black communities in Russia.
There is always exception to the rule.
People of African descent can indeed be found in virtually every nation in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top