Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 03:10 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,553,925 times

Advertisements

If you include those on the continent and throughout the diaspora, African people are essentially everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 04:28 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
If you include those on the continent and throughout the diaspora, African people are essentially everywhere.
I'm not exactly sure what you are getting at.

According to all the latest DNA research, the heritage of every living person on planet traces back to African roots. Asians came out of Africa. Europeans came out of Africa. We all are from Africa.

And even within those three large genetic groupings, African and Asian and European, we're all everywhere. We're all citizens of the world.

In terms of size, currently Asians are the largest population group, Africans are the second largest, Europeans are the third.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:11 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,671,477 times
Asians, however, I think, are concentrated in Asia. There aren't too many asians, I'd think, in non-asian places, (they'd be a minority group), my point being that the "spread out" factor might be different.

White people are everywhere in that sense.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:39 AM

196 posts, read 658,638 times
Nah, there's more Asians in China and India than Black people in Africa, The Caribbean, and The Americas put together.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:43 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
I believe that people that identify as Black or of African descent make up 14% of the Earth's population and yes, such folks are found on every continent, minus Antartica.

Keep in mind that "Asians" can be of different races. Asian Indians are the same as those of say East Asian backgrounds. Some may even put Southeast Asians into a spearate category and the same with Filipinos, but many time they are aligned with East Asians.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:20 AM

196 posts, read 658,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I believe that people that identify as Black or of African descent make up 14% of the Earth's population and yes, such folks are found on every continent, minus Antartica.

Keep in mind that "Asians" can be of different races. Asian Indians are the same as those of say East Asian backgrounds. Some may even put Southeast Asians into a spearate category and the same with Filipinos, but many time they are aligned with East Asians.
But Africa is the most genetically diverse continent in the world. If that's the case with Asia, then it's double the case with Africans.

There's more genetic diversity within that continent than in the rest of the world put together.

Ethiopians are different than Nigerians.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:07 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
Asians, however, I think, are concentrated in Asia. There aren't too many asians, I'd think, in non-asian places, (they'd be a minority group), my point being that the "spread out" factor might be different.

White people are everywhere in that sense.
Actually of all the groups Asians might be the most truly globalized. I mean there are Chinese communities in almost every country in the world.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:08 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times
China has a higher population than the Continent of Africa (which includes the Maghreb) by about as many people as live in the USA. So, considering there's other asian countries and asians live outside of Asia, I think it's a safe bet to say there's more asians then Africans and majority african descended diasporans.

Still, that spectacular relative population growth. In 1900 there were only 100 million people in Africa and there were 415 million in China, so the fact the continent has closed the gap so much means alot of growth has happened.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:01 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,323,085 times
Well Asians can be of any race. Mongoloid is the race bases term used to describe many Asians. There is debate as to the classification of people from Nepal, India, Brunei, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka. Also Asians vary in looks, hair textures, and phenotypes.

There are people of actual African descent that have lived in and throughout Asia since ancient times do to slave trading, following, trading and traveling.

China had lots of African slaves since ancient times and their descendants still remain there but are often not spoken about or obscured.

Arabs imported millions of Africans to and throughout the Asian continent. Europeans brought in many Africans as well.

And many Africans had exchanges and traveling of goods between Asia and Africa and vice versa since ancient times.

So the histories are so complex and have intersected at various points and times and still do today.

An Afrodescent population known as Siddis, Sheddis etc are descendants of slaves, military officers, soldiers, warriors and traders brought to India since ancient times and their descendants live scattered throughout India, Pakistan, Bangladesh.

In Sri Lanka there are also the Kaffirs which are descendants of slaves brought to the region off and on and back and forth by Arabs and Portuguese enslavers and traders. They have a unique culture today that remains strong and is very complex.

Russia had slaves too, especially in and around the Black Sea and in Siberia.

People of African descent are everywhere.

The Arab slave trade and Islam/Muslims brought in millions of African slaves since ancient times continuously to the Middle East, Asia, North Africa etc. Slavery STILL goes on today in these regions and lots of it is color coded and racist and race based.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:03 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,323,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Actually of all the groups Asians might be the most truly globalized. I mean there are Chinese communities in almost every country in the world.
There are black people in virtually every nation in the world.

In addition there are many Afrodiasporic groups that have migrated back to Africa or even on to other parts of the globe and then Africans migrate as well. So it's truly global.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa