U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 11:21 AM

91 posts, read 441,597 times

Advertisements

I have a penpal over there and would like to send some things from America to make her life a little better.Question,how do you send things to make sure it is not opened along the way or stolen ? Are packages pretty safe intransit to there?Are there certain steps i should take to ensure its saftey.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 12:03 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,212,583 times
To what country? To an address in a major city, or out in the bush? Likely success is highly variable, depending on those t factors, as well as a lot of others. Do you know anything about the REAL life of your penpal, in terms of her social status in the community?

Ship the package by regular mail. If it gets there, fine. If it doesn't, pack up another one and send it, I'm presuming that what you are shipping is of very little value, probably even less than the cost of shipping. Shipping costs will be very high, because surface-rate parcel post has now been discontinued to most countries, and it will have to go by air.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:38 AM

91 posts, read 441,597 times
i wanted to send towels and beauty products.She is a young woman going to college in Nigeria.She says she is in the city but the pics look bush.Just wondered if they will be opened by their customs people and what are the chances they will keep the stuff rather than send it on.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:35 PM

18 posts, read 95,583 times
No offense but you really need to be very clear what's going on. There are tons of Nigerian scammers tricking people into sending them stuff and money. Do you know this person or was it someone you contacted over the internet? In the latter case I think you should be very careful about what you're doing.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:45 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,341,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diaperpins View Post
I have a penpal over there and would like to send some things from America to make her life a little better.Question,how do you send things to make sure it is not opened along the way or stolen ? Are packages pretty safe intransit to there?Are there certain steps i should take to ensure its saftey.
I would avoid the US Postal Services under all circumstance. Check out the international rates for FedEx or UPS. It's going to be expensive to send these items. Considering she is going to college, I would think that there are stores in her area that would carry towels and beauty products. Perhaps local products would be better since they would be manufactured locally and that would help the local economy.

I think it would be much nicer to offer to buy her a book or some school supplies. I'm sure you could contact the school directly and make arrangements through them rather than sending her money. That way you could be certain that the money is being used for the best possible purpose.

You sound like a very kind and generous person. I hope that your good intentions are not taken advantage of.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-02-2012, 06:09 PM

6,473 posts, read 13,941,549 times
I'd say depending on where you are sending it...get on a plane and deliver it yourself.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:22 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,758,291 times
I would think they open packages, they do in the Philippines. Hard to say about the theft factor, it happens but not so likely with the items you mentioned. They also will charge some amount as tax, so she might have to lay out a bit for that. Bribery happen there too, so it might be she would have to slip the customs agent a couple bucks to get the package.

The USPS is much cheaper, so much so you could resend an item several times to get close to their rates. A small package weighing less than 4 pounds is 14.95 to most anyplace in Africa. For expensive items, I would go FedEx or one of the others, for cheaper stuff, I'd use the USPS. They were suppose to be getting a Walmart there, why don't you ask her about that? Then you could just get her a gift certificate. Maybe even could do that online so she could just print it off. Nice you are trying to help. Of course there are some dishonest people, but not everyone is like that, despite what some on this forum might say.

I would assume that the OP lives in the states or another country far away. That would make taking the package an expensive proposition.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:56 PM

1,455 posts, read 3,581,620 times
I would recommend finding someone who is traveling there, & beg them to deliver it or send it from within the country. I know that is what many Americans in loved with Ethiopia through adoption do.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:33 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,344,192 times
Funny once I had an online Nigerian penpal friend who really wanted to try some Australian snack foods. I obliged, had no problems getting to him.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:40 PM

9,334 posts, read 19,455,420 times
You'll pay more than the post office, but UPS, Fedex or DHL will get it there safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or