U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 06:32 PM

472 posts, read 917,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
If more people appreciated darkskin, round nose, kinky hair, and full lipped black women than these threads would never descend into light vs dark. People are always showing appreciation towards the african women who have a mixed look and NEVER appreciate the beauty of west african looking women that look just black. of course this is going to make some of us salty and mad if the whole world thinks you are ugly because you are black
That's a pretty large assumption to make. That's kind of like a brunette stating that all men only like blondes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 02:15 PM

1,168 posts, read 780,736 times
Most of the Ethiopians that you will come in contact with in the states came from the addis ababa region and are usually Amhara, Tigray or Oromo. The nothern africans such as the egyptians and Lybians are descendants of them. (not all of course the the base). The Amhara are not native of africa.
The Ethioipian historians have very interesting and different views of where they came from. They say from south of south africa. They emigrated up the eastern coast of africa untill they arrived in the area of Lake Tana is today where they built a great city which was later obliterated by god. Before Lake Tana was there it was a flat high plain untill a meteor strike evaporated the city and created the lake. This caused the remaining people to move either north and become the egyptians or south and become the Amhara. Genetic modeling and the ruins and existence of lake tana all go to give credence to this view. But who knows. There is an Island in the middle of lake tana which is the remains of the central peak uplift of the strike where the Ark of the Covenant was supposedly kept at one time.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:31 PM

60 posts, read 80,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Ethiopians are African, period. They are known to be quite beautiful. Africa has beautiful men and women all over the continent. Ethiopians look different from West Africans or South Africans because they live in a different part of the continent. It's just that simple. Why do Italians look different from Germans? Why do Russians look different from Spaniards? They just live in different parts of Europe.
Actually Italians have origins in north Africa,Israel,and turkey.and Germans have ties with the Viking countries,(Sweden,Iceland,Finland etc)

Old 09-19-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake County IN View Post
Yeah, you gotta understand, there's more genetic diversity in Africa than in the rest of the entire world. . . . COMBINED.

That means that Africans are the most diverse.

People have have a very narrow idea of what Africans look like because West Africans mostly populate The Americas, but there's no one "African" look.
Im asking because some Ethiopians look a little middle eastern to me.and I think the most diverse is the bushman tribe in south Africa.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
yeah they are more beautiful because they have lightskin, and softer hair ::rolls eyes::
No,don't assume now smh

Old 09-19-2012, 06:32 PM

3,117 posts, read 6,836,008 times
Joe33, No Ethiopian historian will ever say that Ethiopians came from the Southern part of So. Africa. That is a new one for me I'll have to admit. The oldest human remain can be traced to Ethiopia and Ethiopians are from Ethiopia.

snacks0v0, Ethiopians don't look middle eastern (at least not to me).

Old 09-23-2012, 04:01 AM

438 posts, read 560,470 times
I just watched a show about ethiopia the peope were beautiful and I found it sad that people with cameras and such and tourists and movie producers just barge into these peoples lives.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:43 PM

1,455 posts, read 3,583,178 times
I was surprised at the great diversity of appearances/features of the people in Ethiopia. They tend to be petite, fine boned/featured...but I have seen/met enough to know that there are a bizillion exceptions. There's an Ethiopian woman at our local restaurant who is about 5'10" & voluptuous. I met a woman in Ethiopia wh appeared to be a dark-skinned east Indian. I saw shades of people from very light to quite dark (the few very black dark people I meet turned out to be Sudanese). And their hair texture runs the entire spectrum.

It was explained to me that Ethiopia has an ancient history of trade because of its location, which attributed to the many different genetic influences. Personally, I see Ethiopians generally as quite attractive.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:55 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,033,435 times
I won't pretend to understand all the varieties of ethnicities in Ethiopia. However, I had a fairly long visit there last month and will give my observations. All I know is that there is huge diversity of appearance on the street in Addis and my travels a couple of hundred miles north. All the way from near Arab olive skinned folks (an example is the late emporer Haile Sellasie) to folks that look like your on-the-dark-side African American. They don't look much at all like Nigerians or other West Africans, but that's only in my opinion. I think people are coming in there from much of Africa, as Addis is sort of like the New York (with the U.N.) of Africa, with its HQ of the African Union and the big joint-Africa peacekeeping military command. Many of the people you see in the streets are even Ethiopian.

One more important point I found relates to the people's attitude, not their appearance, which is really immaterial to anything important. They are an exceedingly polite, intelligent, and welcoming people. I never felt unsafe, always felt that people were trying to be helpful. Not advanced tourist-oriented society, but a wonderful place to get out of the heat and humidity of Africa and the Middle East, where I am working some energy projects, on a cool 7-8000' plateau. Very old civilization, arguably the 1st Christian Kingdom (as officially sanctioned by the government anyway, even before Rome!), used to rule a huge empire on both sides of the Red Sea.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:25 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,164,246 times
I'm a big fan of Ethiopia as well.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 10-01-2012 at 05:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or