U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 08:40 PM

1,609 posts, read 3,151,073 times

Advertisements

I am curious to know more about the West-African countries on the coast stretching from Nigeria to Senegal. Some were French colonies, and some British, and some Portuguese. How are these countries places economically today? Which are relatively prosperous, and which are not ? Also, which of these countries have more tourists?

I include the following countries in this discussion: Nigeria, Togo, Benin, Ghana, Burkina Faso, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Senegal, Gambia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 11:37 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,194,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
I am curious to know more about the West-African countries on the coast stretching from Nigeria to Senegal. Some were French colonies, and some British, and some Portuguese. How are these countries places economically today? Which are relatively prosperous, and which are not ? Also, which of these countries have more tourists?

I include the following countries in this discussion: Nigeria, Togo, Benin, Ghana, Burkina Faso, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Senegal, Gambia
Ghana is very stable, and gets a lot of tourists.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:16 PM

18 posts, read 95,611 times
Ghana, Senegal and the Gambia are probably the most successful economically. The Ivory Coast used to be successful but has recently seen severe internal conflict. Nigeria is a special case: the country has large oil reserves but the problems with ethnic strife and corruptions are enormous. The rest are generally poor. Sierra Leone and Liberia endured horrific violence in the civil wars of the 1990s.

Ghana, Senegal and the Gambia have large tourism sectors with lots of visitors from (mainly) Europe. Togo and Benin are more 'off the beaten track' destinations. I am not aware of the other mentioned countries seeing significant tourism. Nigeria has such a terrible reputation that most travellers actively avoid the country.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:12 PM

74 posts, read 171,367 times
Ghana and Gambia don't seem to be doing too bad relative to other West African countries from a quality-of-life point of view. Politically stable and peaceful, etc.

With all of it's problems, Nigeria, my home country, is actually the strongest West African country strictly from an economic standpoint. It has a very large market - luxury brands such as Porsche have opened shop in Lagos so it says something. It is most likely the place to go if you want to make money in West Africa (actually, most of Africa) and don't mind the harsher environment.

Nigerian banks/financial industry is also quite strong on the continent, believe it or not (*steels* self for the derivative jokes that may follow this fact).

Last edited by Mantana; 10-06-2012 at 07:37 PM..

Old 10-06-2012, 08:55 PM

889 posts, read 1,015,109 times
Mali isn't on the coast (or on your list), but if you are interested in that I could probably help you out. I spent a whole summer there once, it's one of the best places in Africa IMO. Unfortunately they are in the midst of a civil war right now though.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
Mali isn't on the coast (or on your list), but if you are interested in that I could probably help you out. I spent a whole summer there once, it's one of the best places in Africa IMO. Unfortunately they are in the midst of a civil war right now though.
Yeah, I didn't include Mali as I thought it was more of a Sub-Saharan country. Did you visit Timbuktu on your trip?

Old 10-07-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantana View Post
With all of it's problems, Nigeria, my home country, is actually the strongest West African country strictly from an economic standpoint. It has a very large market - luxury brands such as Porsche have opened shop in Lagos so it says something. It is most likely the place to go if you want to make money in West Africa (actually, most of Africa) and don't mind the harsher environment.

Nigerian banks/financial industry is also quite strong on the continent, believe it or not (*steels* self for the derivative jokes that may follow this fact).
Which continent do you mean here? Africa or Europe?

I have a good friend who is from Nigeria, he just completed his graduate degree here.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:24 PM

74 posts, read 171,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
Which continent do you mean here? Africa or Europe?

I have a good friend who is from Nigeria, he just completed his graduate degree here.
Africa.

Are you based in Europe?

Old 10-07-2012, 04:26 PM

No, I am not in Europe. The fact that Nigeria is a banking/financial powerhouse in Africa is not surprising at all, that's why I was wondering.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:24 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
When the French left Africa, the independent republics retained the currency tied to the French Franc, which is now tied to the Euro. In fact, the French countries, in most cases, didn't even coin their own money, but used the CFA Franc in all countries, without even a country name printed on it. The former British colonies established their own currencies, which were varyingly artificial, and there was a substantial black market on the exchange of their money for convertible currencies.

This made it possible for the Franc countries to freely enter into world trade with stable and realistic buying and selling prices, and for goods to freely flow across borders. It also significantly retarded the general corruption of financial affairs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or