U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 06:56 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,197,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Are you really asking or are you just trolling?

Truthfully, Africa is the third world politically, economically, and socially.

Let ask you a few questions.

Other than Africans and missionaries, who cares about or even gives a thought about Africa?

Who goes to Africa on vacation, other than on safari? What would you want to see or do in Africa?

Would you want to get sick or injured and receive treatment or surgery in Africa?

Would you want to be on a continent that has dozens of countries with unstable and corrupt government that have been waging armed conflict with various rebel forces for decades, such as Sudan, Somalia, or Rwanda?

Africa sucks so bad that even a fair amount of the Africans don't want to be there and are doing everything they can to get out. Look at how many millions of African refugees are living in the US, Canada, and Europe.

Africa is a mess and has been ever since it was divided up and colonized by the Europeans, if not before. I don't know what the solution is but I know that the first and probably biggest hurdle is overcoming and reforming the culture of corruption that permeates the whole continent and honestly, I don't see that changing anytime in the foreseeable future.
Actually, I would love to visit Ghana, Cameroon, Sengegal, Kenya, Tanzania, South Africa, and other African countries. LOL at how fearful you sound. The big bad African continent LOL. Grow up, get a passport, and travel a little.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:13 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,455,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
It's simple. We're all racists on this forum and we hate Africa and Africans. Is that the reason you were looking for?

Few people, comparatively, have been to Africa. And there are hardly any Africans on this site. I'm interested in visiting one day.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:51 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,205,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

Few people, comparatively, have been to Africa. And there are hardly any Africans on this site. I'm interested in visiting one day.
There's a reason why so few people are not interested in Africa. High political instability, disease, lack of modern infrastructure, and very high crime detracts from tourism. People don't want to be robbed, killed, or kidnapped while on vacation

Old 10-03-2012, 08:05 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,455,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
There's a reason why so few people are not interested in Africa. High political instability, disease, lack of modern infrastructure, and very high crime detracts from tourism. People don't want to be robbed, killed, or kidnapped while on vacation
Aside from Egypt and Morocco, most tourism seems to be safari-based. Independent travel in most of Africa is virtually non-existent.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:47 PM

455 posts, read 917,753 times
Well on the standards the op has set the Asia section is down right deserted itself seeing as some 60% of the world lives there.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:22 PM

15,951 posts, read 36,206,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Yes, but this forum was created at the same time the Americas forum (its really a Latin American forum when you think about it, lol) and a few other forums.

Despite that, the reality is that the African forum is at the bottom of the barrel as far as popularity is concerned and we should try to understand why that is the case and see if a change is possible.
Well, Latin America is immediately adjacent to the United States, and this forum is predominately Americans living in the U.S. So, Latin America is attracting anyone who has any connection with Latin America, and a lot of Americans actually do have a connection to it.

Africa, should attract African-Americans. They may or may not know the forum exists. Otherwise, it'll just be 'extreme travelers', (like myself) who are just interested in everything anywhere.

I think for the mass majority of people who aren't African-American (i.e. a connection feeling) or Traveler-types (travel oriented), who else would it appeal to?

Rich people who could afford to travel to Africa, are more interested in money-centers like Hong Kong, Dubai, London, Paris, etc.

Middle-class people could never afford the flight to Africa. They'll be lucky to save up enough money to someday get that 4-day Carribbean cruise.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:42 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,932,923 times
I think people don't realize the many great places to vacation in Africa. The continent seems to be generalized as one instead of people looking at the individual places. Poverty is really no excuse since Jamaica, DR, several Asian countries, etc have the same issue but that hasn't stopped people from wanting to visit. I just think Africa does not advertise its tourism sector well enough.

People really need to look at each country individually. My sister went to South Africa for study abroad and had a fabulous time. My cousin is now on her way next Semester to South Africa as well. From what I've heard the country has beautiful beaches and plenty of things to do. I hope to visit one day myself.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:10 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,502,639 times
People have a very skewed vision of Africa which is why i'm glad this forum exists - at its best it can aspire to educate and inform. Unfortunately, Africa has very little bandwidth and internet infrastructure, not to mention computer hardware, so only a small number of rich Africans as of yet have access to the internet. So it makes sense we don't have too many African forumers, although I believe we have a few. This, coupled with the forum being very new, explains the number of threads.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:37 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,206,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
I think people don't realize the many great places to vacation in Africa. The continent seems to be generalized as one instead of people looking at the individual places. Poverty is really no excuse since Jamaica, DR, several Asian countries, etc have the same issue but that hasn't stopped people from wanting to visit. I just think Africa does not advertise its tourism sector well enough.
It's also a proxity thing. I've heard that many Europeans regularly visit Africa. Especially Senegal, South Africa, Kenya, Morocco, Egypt, etc.

For Americans, it's just far for a vacation. As interesting as Africa is, and I'd love to go there myself, I've never been close in proximity to just 'pop' in and check it out.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:45 AM

8,226 posts, read 10,804,915 times
I'm surprised Mexico isn't as an active forum either.
I always thought Mexico should have surpassed Canada in popularity,given its population.

Still,I think most people are ignorant concerning the continent.
The middle east is more dangerous than Africa but yet people still visit there. Why?
Sorry,but I also believe prejudice plays a role,as most people don't realize Africa has beautiful places.
Maybe the media doesn't show the good parts of Africa,but all one needs to do is look it up on youtube.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa