U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-04-2012, 04:04 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,956 posts, read 36,264,091 times
Reputation: 9496

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I'm surprised Mexico isn't as an active forum either.
I always thought Mexico should have surpassed Canada in popularity,given its population.

Still,I think most people are ignorant concerning the continent.
The middle east is more dangerous than Africa but yet people still visit there. Why?
Sorry,but I also believe prejudice plays a role,as most people don't realize Africa has beautiful places.
Maybe the media doesn't show the good parts of Africa,but all one needs to do is look it up on youtube.
The main difference is that this is an American website in English. Canadians also predominately use English, and the majority of their population uses the same websites, watch the same sports, see the same television shows, that we do. So, it also makes sense that they'd use this website and those forums the same way that a person from South Dakota might.

Mexico however. We don't have Spanish forums, we're not easily found on Spanish browsing engines, etc. The only people posting on the Mexico forums are Americans/Canadians for the most part, that have a connection with it.

 
Old 10-04-2012, 04:22 AM
 
8,226 posts, read 10,828,376 times
Reputation: 7623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The main difference is that this is an American website in English. Canadians also predominately use English, and the majority of their population uses the same websites, watch the same sports, see the same television shows, that we do. So, it also makes sense that they'd use this website and those forums the same way that a person from South Dakota might.

Mexico however. We don't have Spanish forums, we're not easily found on Spanish browsing engines, etc. The only people posting on the Mexico forums are Americans/Canadians for the most part, that have a connection with it.
You are right.
However,I still would have thought Mexican Americans would have made Mexico more popular.
Asia forum seems more popular than the Mexico forum.
 
Old 10-04-2012, 06:21 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,956 posts, read 36,264,091 times
Reputation: 9496
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
You are right.
However,I still would have thought Mexican Americans would have made Mexico more popular.
Asia forum seems more popular than the Mexico forum.
I'm a regular on the Asia forum. It wasn't always popular. But there are a few posters with some extensive experience in Asia, so we're able to field questions and keep it going.

Anyways, when they first divided up the 'World Forum', there were just a lot more Asia-related posts (makes sense as it's 2/3rds of the world's population).

I'm sure the 'Africa Forum' will do fine, they just need regulars who can contribute.
 
Old 10-04-2012, 06:55 AM
 
Location: Montgomery Village
4,120 posts, read 3,845,009 times
Reputation: 1695
Yeah but it needs real topics. Not ones like South Africa is the rape capital of the world or why do east africans look arabic.
 
Old 10-04-2012, 07:16 AM
 
Location: La Isla Encanta, Puerto Rico
1,148 posts, read 3,040,043 times
Reputation: 1327
I've been to a half dozen African countries and will visit another one next month (Egypt - yeah, it's actually in Africa, not Arabian Peninsula btw). Four had some interesting places of beauty and SOME very nice people, but overall just too many health, government instability, religious tension, infrastructure, scam artists, etc etc that the average middle class tourist is not going to have a good time or feel that got their money's worth.

However, I thought South Africa and Ethiopia were places I'd definitely return. Ethiopia is still on the poor side but had decent roads, very nice people, losts of good scenery, unbelievably beautiful women (I'm married so I didn't notice of course, I've just heard this is true :-) ), liquor (!!, I'm working a project in the Middle East that's dry), and real history and culture. South Africa is even better, gorgeous scenery, liquor(!!), very good modern infrastructure just a bit behind the US. Only thing is some pretty rough ghetto areas in some of the big cities. This is not anything I experienced but it is said to be very true esp of Johannesburg. I only stayed in the SE around Durbin, Zululand, and the Drackensburg Mountains. BTW, did any of you know that there is a 10,000' mountain range with beautiful alpine scenery and occasional winter snow at high elevations in S. Africa? For real!

Don't write off Africa because you've gotten 402 Scam Letters (however, I'd probably not highly recommend Nigeria for that and many other reasons unless you are VERY adventurous).
 
Old 10-04-2012, 08:55 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,626 posts, read 19,398,857 times
Reputation: 8585
I guess most people are only writing on forums which deal with places they are interested in visiting. For various reasons Africa is not really appealing to most people in the West...
 
Old 10-04-2012, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,956 posts, read 36,264,091 times
Reputation: 9496
If it's any consolation, it appears the 'Videography Forum' is the least popular forum.
 
Old 10-04-2012, 09:18 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,549,146 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Well, Latin America is immediately adjacent to the United States, and this forum is predominately Americans living in the U.S. So, Latin America is attracting anyone who has any connection with Latin America, and a lot of Americans actually do have a connection to it.

Africa, should attract African-Americans. They may or may not know the forum exists. Otherwise, it'll just be 'extreme travelers', (like myself) who are just interested in everything anywhere.

I think for the mass majority of people who aren't African-American (i.e. a connection feeling) or Traveler-types (travel oriented), who else would it appeal to?

Rich people who could afford to travel to Africa, are more interested in money-centers like Hong Kong, Dubai, London, Paris, etc.

Middle-class people could never afford the flight to Africa. They'll be lucky to save up enough money to someday get that 4-day Carribbean cruise.
Really, most African Americans have no more connection/interest to Africa today than non-Africans. Dare I say, deep down I'm sure they're thankful their ancestors were brought as slaves, since even a poor black in America has a better quality of life than someone living in Sub-Saharan Africa.

I'm a traveller. I have ancestral roots in Asia but I'm no more or less interested in it than say Europe. I think of myself as an Earthling and identify with the human race and all it's diverse tribes. Africa is where we all supposedly came from so we should all have an interest in it.
 
Old 10-04-2012, 09:20 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 45,549,146 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm a regular on the Asia forum. It wasn't always popular. But there are a few posters with some extensive experience in Asia, so we're able to field questions and keep it going.

Anyways, when they first divided up the 'World Forum', there were just a lot more Asia-related posts (makes sense as it's 2/3rds of the world's population).

I'm sure the 'Africa Forum' will do fine, they just need regulars who can contribute.
I post a lot on the Asia forum because I have some experience with it, having travelled to a few countries in Asia, and I can respond to people's queries.
 
Old 10-04-2012, 09:29 AM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
21,626 posts, read 19,398,857 times
Reputation: 8585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Really, most African Americans have no more connection/interest to Africa today than non-Africans. Dare I say, deep down I'm sure they're thankful their ancestors were brought as slaves, since even a poor black in America has a better quality of life than someone living in Sub-Saharan Africa.

I'm a traveller. I have ancestral roots in Asia but I'm no more or less interested in it than say Europe. I think of myself as an Earthling and identify with the human race and all it's diverse tribes. Africa is where we all supposedly came from so we should all have an interest in it.
I never know what to think of such a statement. Just because ancient humans left Africa, doesn't mean that I care about Africa today. Most modern Africans have as little to do with those ancient common ancestors of modern humans as Europeans or Asians have. If I remember correctly, the San are the closest remainder of those ancient humans, and the San are not welcome and looked down upon by most Africans. They are considered savages as many of them cling to their hunter-gatherer life-style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top