U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 09:33 AM

15,956 posts, read 36,269,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Really, most African Americans have no more connection/interest to Africa today than non-Africans. Dare I say, deep down I'm sure they're thankful their ancestors were brought as slaves, since even a poor black in America has a better quality of life than someone living in Sub-Saharan Africa.

I'm a traveller. I have ancestral roots in Asia but I'm no more or less interested in it than say Europe. I think of myself as an Earthling and identify with the human race and all it's diverse tribes. Africa is where we all supposedly came from so we should all have an interest in it.
I know my (half) Irish-American self is highly interested in Ireland, and I've always held it in high 'romantic' regard. If there were an 'Ireland' forum, I'd view it from time to time.

That being said, I'm interested in everywhere, as well.

Regarding African-Americans not being interested in Africa. I think you'd be surprised. I recognize probably at least half on this forum to be African-Americans. I'm assuming they are interested in Africa on some level or another.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:49 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,557,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I know my (half) Irish-American self is highly interested in Ireland, and I've always held it in high 'romantic' regard. If there were an 'Ireland' forum, I'd view it from time to time.

That being said, I'm interested in everywhere, as well.

Regarding African-Americans not being interested in Africa. I think you'd be surprised. I recognize probably at least half on this forum to be African-Americans. I'm assuming they are interested in Africa on some level or another.
I'm sure there are some AA's who are...there was that whole 'back to Africa' movement. Of course it's hardly evidence there's a widespread interest in Africa. I bet many would struggle to find Africa on the map, let alone name for than a handful of African countries.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:02 AM

21,626 posts, read 19,402,684 times
I suppose it is mostly AAs who kind of despise white America that are interested in Africa. Maybe also a few businessmen who see Africa as a market, thinking they are more welcome than white Americans. Some artists like Erykah Badu are also on a permanent Africa trip...

But at the end of the day most of them will be disappointed by Africa as the difference between Africa and the West, i.e. what they are used to, is just too big in every way. Many aspects about African life really suck, not just material aspects such as poverty, but also things such as morals, certain habits and customs, superstition, etc.

Nor are AAs necessarily welcome by Africans, there is no real bond so to speak, just because of some remote genetic connection. Africans have more than enough problems already, no time and energy for black foreigners looking for some lost romantic past.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:05 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,679,296 times
Well, in Europe there generally is a bit more interest in Africa, albeit popular holiday destinations such as Tunesia and Egypt are often not seen as "Africa". Most people unconsciously connect the term Africa with Sub-Saharan Africa and see North-Africa as part of the Middle-East.

But especially in Western Europe, we meet Africans on a daily base in the streets of our cities. In Brussels, there are tons of people from the Congo, our ex-colony. Likewise, you'll see plenty of people from Senegal, Cameroon, Ivory Coast,...in French cities, all former colonies of France...

Old 10-04-2012, 10:12 AM

21,626 posts, read 19,402,684 times
Same here in Portugal...

Old 10-04-2012, 10:46 AM

5,239 posts, read 6,781,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
There's a reason why so few people are not interested in Africa. High political instability, disease, lack of modern infrastructure, and very high crime detracts from tourism. People don't want to be robbed, killed, or kidnapped while on vacation
Over 8 million people visited South Africa in 2011. Over 400,000 from the UK, even with things worse in Europe now. Other key markets are the Netherlands and France. A 14 percent increase from Asian markets, 24 percent rise from China, 26 percent increase from India, a 2.3 percent increase from North America, and a 9 percent increase from Germany. It also has become a minor hub for those wanting cosmetic surgery.

Speaking of health care, in July of 2011, Kenya opened the Heart and Cancer Center at AKUH-Nairobi, a multi-million dollar project aimed at bringing cutting-edge prevention and therapy to Africa. It will be the biggest program of its kind north of South Africa and south of the Sahara. And Dr. Peter Zilla, the successor of the great heart surgeon Christiaan Barnard in South Africa and is carrying out cutting edge research in Cape Town. You might also want to read about the Red Cross War Memorial Children's Hospital in Cape Town. Which is on par with many of the best internationally. Sure things aren't great everywhere, but its not all bad either.

And tourists are never killed over here in the states, right? I recall 2 from the UK killed in Florida in the last year or so. And that's not the only case of that happening in the states.

Tourists keep flocking to South Africa - SouthAfrica.info
Aga Khan University Hospital Partnership
allAfrica.com: South Africa: The Government Hospital That Really Works - With a Little Help From Their Friends

Old 10-04-2012, 03:12 PM

4,441 posts, read 4,436,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm sure there are some AA's who are...there was that whole 'back to Africa' movement. Of course it's hardly evidence there's a widespread interest in Africa. I bet many would struggle to find Africa on the map, let alone name for than a handful of African countries.
America public school systems are not bad enough that African Americans can't find a continent. And most African Americans are likely to know a significant number of Africa counties. It's more likely that some one might can't recall a country at a second rather than not knowing many at all. However actually locating most countries specifically will probably be bad though. Not just AA but the western world in general has way of ignoring Africa.

Most people don't know about African pop, rock and Hiphop culture
Most people can't think of many African cities,
Most can't name other historical structures in Africa besides the pyramids.
Most people would have no idea of different African cuisines.
Most can't name ancient African kingdoms and states.
Heck most people can't name 5 ethnic groups.

I truly hate the fact common knowledge is horrible. What bugs me is the media only mention Africa when some zoologist or animal hunter is chasing is a dang lion. We need to talk about zebras a little less and alot more about Great zimbabwe, swahili ruins, Sahelian architecture, actual Nubian pyramids, Ethiopian architecture and etc.

There's really 2 ways history can be taught one by lectures, docs and etc. The other is though arts and entertainment. Before you learn in detail about ancient Rome in schools you was aware of the history by films, books and etc. I grew up on Anime a lot of which show cased Asian culture it's of Japanese origin. In American culture hollywood made great use of European and even Mideastern history. But there's a complete blank in interest of African history for settings, follow by a blank interest in teaching about Africa in schools.

I not trying to make this overly deep but we have a thread over the beauty of west African Women. How many black American girls do think saw a fairy tale image of a African princess. Better how many black American girls do you think have a clue to how a African princess might even look like. And it's funny because Disney created a Black princess, they promote her as there first African American princess. America is not a monarch, most blacks are not American, and black princess are African. Notice all other Disney princess correctly actually are set in there native ethnic land. What attention do Africa get Tarzan and Lions. Which is sadly pretty metaphoric to the media general perception their's animals and no history.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:01 PM

10 posts, read 45,606 times
Most people logging into City-Data are probably from North America and Western Europe, that's why.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:09 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,914,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ze3c View Post
Most people logging into City-Data are probably from North America and Western Europe, that's why.
Bingo. More specifically English language countries. Australia, Canada, New Zealand, UK and the US. None of which are in Africa. This is an English language forum. Of course its going to be skewed toward places where English is spoken.

Also the fact that only 14% of people in Africa have internet access, compared to 80% for North America, probably has something to do with it too.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:29 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,936,494 times
interesting article posted on yahoo now about the growing tourism industry in Africa

Rooftop pool, wine bar: Hotels building in Africa - Yahoo! News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa