U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 01:57 AM

194 posts, read 235,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
OK, its not always the least popular. As of late, this forum has 3,276 posts which makes it the second least popular, only the Videography forum has it worst and the Aviation forum is slightly above the African forum (3,559).

Among the World forums, they rank like this based on number of posts:

1. CANADA (54 666)
  2. WORLD (50 688)
  3. UNITED KINGDOM (37 139)
  4. EUROPE (34 629)
  5. AUSTRALIA/NEW ZEALAND (32 859)
  6. MEXICO (19 786)
  7. ASIA (11 747)
  8. AMERICAS (8 525)
  9. AFRICA (3 276)

And like this based on number of threads:

1. CANADA (4 731)
  2. UNITED KINGDOM (1 984)
  3. WORLD (1 644)
  4. EUROPE (1 428)
  5. AUSTRALIA/NEW ZEALAND (1 378)
  6. MEXICO (1 305)
  7. ASIA (750)
  8. AMERICAS (480)
  9. AFRICA (221)

And like this based on the number of posts per thread:

1. WORLD (30.8)
  2. EUROPE (24.3)
  3. AUSTRALIA & NEW ZEALAND (23.8)
  4. UNITED KINGDOM (18.7)
  5. AMERICAS (17.8)
  6. ASIA (15.7)
  7. MEXICO (15.2)
  8. AFRICA (14.8)
  9. CANADA (11.6)

Why do you guys think this forum is not as popular as (most of) the other ones?

Do you think it will get better, remain the same, or get worst?

What should be done to improve the ranking of the African forum?

I think that it is because this forum is visited mainly by Americans, who generally do not have much interest in Africa. I think that there will slowly be more posts and threads in the Africa forum due to the all the new members on CD and parts of Africa becoming more developed.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:46 PM

78,959 posts, read 70,771,627 times
OP:
The problem is, Africa is difficult to travel to.(I can't help noticing much of the material on the other threads is about travel.) Part of it was still at war, last I checked, I 'm not sure. I, personally, would love to enthuse about Zimbabwe and its culture but....Zimbabwe's toast, unfortunately, unless someone would like to discuss politics. South Africa has a lot to offer, but there's high crime, it's a bit tricky. It seems like Botswana has already been discussed on a couple of threads. Congolese music is hot, but the best musicians are all in Europe. West Africa? We could discuss the mess in the Niger Delta, oil company greed coupled with a corrupt gov't. We could discuss the soon to disappear snow on Kilimanjaro, which will displace the cultures that have evolved on the mountainside to life from the snowmelt, and the unique agricultural practices and knowledge that will be lost when they're forced off their land to go look for paid work. We could discuss corporate fishing off the coast of West Africa, scooping up all the fish that traditional fishing cultures on the land have depended on for aeons, and are now being deprived of their traditional livelihood. (Why aren't their governments addressing this?)

I guess any discussion of Africa's brilliant music traditions would be moved to the music thread...?

So...what would you like us to talk about?

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-06-2012 at 02:26 PM..

Old 10-06-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm sure there are some AA's who are...there was that whole 'back to Africa' movement. Of course it's hardly evidence there's a widespread interest in Africa. I bet many would struggle to find Africa on the map, let alone name for than a handful of African countries.
Uh, right. Because everyone knows that African Americans are school dropouts, so they wouldn't have learned basic geography in school (like where to locate an entire continent on a map of the world), and we know they're not interested in anything but the latest music and clothes styles, so ... why expect them to have any intellectual interests? Heck, they probably don't even know how to use a computer, most of them.

NOT!!

The reality is that many now are interested in finding not only a historic connection with Africa, but a genetic one. Some have been participating in genetic studies to find out where on the continent they're from, and what the local traditions are in the region where they're from. And believe it or not, there are quite a few AA's who are university professors, astronomers and cosmologists popular on TV, and just all-round regular folks like you, Tri. If this thread managed to educate one person, it was worth it.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-06-2012 at 02:24 PM..

Old 10-06-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Are you really asking or are you just trolling?

Truthfully, Africa is the third world politically, economically, and socially.

Let ask you a few questions.

Other than Africans and missionaries, who cares about or even gives a thought about Africa?

Who goes to Africa on vacation, other than on safari? What would you want to see or do in Africa?

Would you want to get sick or injured and receive treatment or surgery in Africa?

Would you want to be on a continent that has dozens of countries with unstable and corrupt government that have been waging armed conflict with various rebel forces for decades, such as Sudan, Somalia, or Rwanda?

Africa sucks so bad that even a fair amount of the Africans don't want to be there and are doing everything they can to get out. Look at how many millions of African refugees are living in the US, Canada, and Europe.

Africa is a mess and has been ever since it was divided up and colonized by the Europeans, if not before. I don't know what the solution is but I know that the first and probably biggest hurdle is overcoming and reforming the culture of corruption that permeates the whole continent and honestly, I don't see that changing anytime in the foreseeable future.
I can't tell who's the one trolling here. Actually...yes I can.

I and a number of my friends think about Africa. Unbelievable though it may sound to some people (^^^), students, even WHITE students , study African music, African art, history, or African languages in college. They continue an interest in the country their favorite music or art or language is from well past college age, following current events there, perhaps volunteering to help students who arrive from there, supporting development work there, etc. This is what we here, in the US, called "well-rounded people".

What would you do or see in Africa? OMG! Go back to college and take a survey course on Africa, or at the very least, visits a travel agent or a travel bookstore. Have you heard of Mt Kilimanjaro? For some reason, your post doesn't inspire confidence that I'll receive a positive answer. Victoria Falls, the Okovango Delta, ALL of the beauty of South Africa, and the traditions, as well as contemporary South African musical theater,(located mainly in Capetown, which is a bit of a tourist mecca), which has toured the West at various times to thunderous acclaim, Arab culture in Zanzibar, Maasai culture in Kenya, Bushmen/San culture in Namibia and Botswana, the markets of West Africa and their rich textile and art traditions, The griots of The Gambia and senegal, today's oral historians set to indigenous harp music. I could go on, but you get the idea. Please educate yourself.

Would YOU want to be on a continent that not long ago exploded into tribal war that resulted in a long-stable country blowing apart in a half-dozen separate nations? That would be Europe. Those Europeans tend to very unpredictable and bellicose (WWI, WWII); better stay well clear of them.

Personally, I would have no problem visiting Kenya, Tanzania, Mozambique, Madagascar, South Africa, Botswana, Malawi (do you even know where that is on the map? Better go check.), Egypt (depending on the political scene), and parts of West Africa. A lot of people do visit those places. Egypt has been a tourist destination for over 100 years. Where have you been?

Fear-mongering by saying one region is unstable so the entire continent must be avoided is too obvious a biased ploy to have an effect on anyone with a functioning brain. Do you realize people avoid the US for the same reason, whenever there's a riot in Los Angeles, or a police action in Florida, or some other incident that gets sensationalized in the international media? Some fools actually think they need to avoid ALL of the US, just because of one localized problem. Well, that's their loss, and maybe we don't need people like that visiting anyway.

The medical care question: US patients who acquire parasites usually can't find treatment in the US. The lucky ones find someone outside the insurance system who has a connection with a parasite lab in Nigeria, and send blood samples there. The Nigerian lab returns a full analysis ALONG WITH a medicinal tea targeting each type of parasite. After seeing a friend suffer for years with parasites, and hearing how doctors and hospital labs dithered helplessly, unable to diagnose, let alone treat, I'm pretty grateful to Nigeria right now. To tell you the truth, I'm more fearful of medical care in the US than I am in a lot of other countries around the world.

Travelling to Africa, as with Travel to Russia, you should pay for traveller's insurance, so that if you do require surgery for an emergency, you can be airlifted out. This is is not a big deal. Such accidents rarely happen, anyway. That sort of thing is a fear that people who don't like certain countries or parts of the world use to bash the region in question. There's a name for that type of post on forums. I'm sure you can think of it.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-06-2012 at 02:38 PM..

Old 10-06-2012, 03:45 PM

22,791 posts, read 16,864,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
There's a reason why so few people are not interested in Africa. High political instability, disease, lack of modern infrastructure, and very high crime detracts from tourism. People don't want to be robbed, killed, or kidnapped while on vacation
Or any other time for that matter.

What I know about Africa, (which admittedly isn't a whole lot), is pretty much what others have said. There's South Africa, I would feel ok going there on vacation. There's safari, which I would LOVE to do. There is Egypt, Morocco, and a few other places that would be neat.

There's also Libya. NO thank you. There's a number of places there that I would not want to visit nor do I know more than the horrible political unrest, the killings, the mass deaths, the extreme poverty, the diseases, etc.

On top of all of that, I've looked up a safari adventure...seriously, I would love to do it...but unless I hit it big some day, I don't know I'll ever get to do it. It's horribly expensive.

And then finally, there's the fact that my younger brother had to go to Africa on business one time. He brought back a whole bunch of really cool things. However, I also remember all the stuff he had to get and take, (like these gigantic malaria pills), for a week or two, before...for the three days he was there.

While I think it would be great to visit Africa at some point in time, I wonder just how many people in Africa have an internet connection let alone a computer. Sure, there's some...but out of the overall population in the entire continent, how many?

Old 10-06-2012, 04:28 PM

194 posts, read 235,146 times
Touchy subject....

Old 10-06-2012, 06:36 PM

74 posts, read 171,582 times
It's generally common in many parts of the world to exclude Africa (particularly Sub-Saharan Africa) in a variety of things. This section of the forum would definitely not be the exception.

Being African myself, one of first adjustments I had to make on reaching here to study at college was getting used to the reality of my home continent being insignificant to others - politically, economically, culturally, aesthetically, and every other "-ally" you can think off.

For instance, when you read a blurb about a trend on the "international" scene, and see the lists of the usual suspects being overtaken by the trend (i.e. Europe, Asia, Middle-East/North Africa, or any other region apart from Black Africa). Or when you read "world" History textbooks authored here and Black Africa is excluded or discussed in colonial/slavery-related terms.

Had me feeling some type of way initially, until I finally understood Africa's place/role in the global scene. Then it made all sense.

Of course some of the reasoning behind this can be blamed on us Africans. It would be all too redundant to start spelling out issues that most people are too quick to point out though (as they already have on this thread).

Ah well....C'est la vie!

I've only learned to take what I can in learning here and applying my skills to better my kind. Do your best, and leave the rest.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:01 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,932,923 times
And even if Africans did have an internet connection who is to say they would even come here (and according to websites South Africa, Egypt, Morocco, Seychelles, etc all have high levels of internet access).

But really what is the interest for them to come to this website??? This website is mostly about the U.S.; politics, work section, the state forums, etc are all pretty much U.S. geared. I can't really see why someone in Africa would want to come on this site especially since there are other sites where Africans can go.

For examples Nigerians visit the Nairaland forums which are very active.

And yes, if Africans come here and see ignorance they will probably just think this is some Klan type website and click the x button.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:50 PM

4,907 posts, read 6,126,527 times
I am not African, probably will never get a chance to visit there but, I am fascinated by the continent as a whole. I enjoy reading what people have to say that either live there or have traveled there and, of course, pictures are just the cats cream.....LOL.

Would I be afraid to travel there....probably, certainly in the unstable areas. But I know Africa is very beautiful and I would like to see it. Would I want to live there, probably not.

PLease, everyone, keep posting.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:56 PM

10,586 posts, read 10,785,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Why are you seeking to bring your prejudices on this forum? That's what I would like to know.
Not prejudice....The guy was just stating a fact- That the majority of internet fraud comes out of African nations...as if the new technology is only about trying to make some money any way they can- Africa in general on the net has a bad rep...so it's just a judgement...not a pre-judgement or prejudice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa