U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 09:58 PM

10,586 posts, read 10,823,115 times

Advertisements

PLUS - Africans tend to be whiners - all they rant about is "colonialism" - oppression- and so on...I just wish they would be human and deal with the rest of the world freely instead of being filled with the same old tiresome rhetoric.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:34 PM

15,958 posts, read 36,315,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
PLUS - Africans tend to be whiners - all they rant about is "colonialism" - oppression- and so on...I just wish they would be human and deal with the rest of the world freely instead of being filled with the same old tiresome rhetoric.
Is that yourself projecting based on something you learned in Academia?

I've met a ton of continental Africans, and never met any ranting about oppression and colonialism. Most of them ones I've met have been exceptionally bright, bright-eyed, open, eager to participate in the world economy, etc.

But, than again, most continental Africans outside of Africa, are highly educated, and doing exceptionally well, particularly in the United States. I recently read that continental Africans are just behind Asian-Americans, both of which are above caucasian-Americans, in academic achievement and higher income average earners in the U.S.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 10-06-2012 at 10:50 PM..

Old 10-06-2012, 10:44 PM

74 posts, read 172,256 times
Quote:
Most Africans in Africa and abroad could actually care less about European colonialism.

You don't sound like you know that many.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:59 AM

4,441 posts, read 4,444,893 times
Quote:
Humans don't speak about oppression and so on?

But now that I think of it I never hear one person from African actually blame anything on Colonialism

Nneka - Africans - YouTube

Old 10-07-2012, 07:48 AM

4,120 posts, read 3,851,308 times
Quote:
And with a site littered with mental midgets like this, you would be hard pressed to find a decent discussion on this subforum.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:23 AM

5,239 posts, read 6,790,948 times
Quote:
First, I don't agree with you. But why start down that road anyway. It doesn't belong here. It has nothing to do with the thread topic.

OK, so lets just figure this forum is gonna be one to ask about trips to Cape Town or some simple minded travel stuff and leave it at that.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:17 AM

74 posts, read 172,256 times
Quote:
Not prejudice....The guy was just stating a fact- That the majority of internet fraud comes out of African nations...as if the new technology is only about trying to make some money any way they can- Africa in general on the net has a bad rep...so it's just a judgement...not a pre-judgement or prejudice.
This is actually not true:

Internet Scam Statistics 2012 [Infographic] | AnsonAlex

In the above link, for instance, the US leads in the number of internet scams by 65.9%, followed by the UK at 10.4%, and then China at 3.1%.

I think people here are all too carried away with the "novelty" of Africans using the internet and committing cyber crime, and thus act overly dramatic with it as a result.

Scamming in all of its forms is likely much more sophisticated and closer to home for many of you guys than you might think.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:17 AM

5,239 posts, read 6,790,948 times
What comes to mind first for many are emails found in the spam mailbox, you know the type I'm talking about. So I think thats why people typically mention Nigeria and Africa regarding scams. It happens all over thats for sure. If you look at where people do the most hacking, its right here at home. China and Asia was next after that.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:11 PM

10,586 posts, read 10,823,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantana View Post
Most Africans in Africa and abroad could actually care less about European colonialism.

You don't sound like you know that many.
Okay - the only ones that I had met were about two years ago- My son was dating a girl from Africa- her relatives would like to come over and hang out for the weekend..They were a bright and noble bunch of young woman..One thing I did notice is that these people were not average types - One girls father was a high ranking bureaucrat..the others had fathers who were military...One was a Russian trained fighter pilot...They did mention that even with them as far as status - skin tone was important...They were not like typical blacks for American or Canadian projects- There was no white hate- and they did not suffer from a typical North American inferiority complex..They were dignified and proud...

I guess the reason I posted what I did was because of the one read I had...concerning Africa on CD..and it was ONE person going on and on about social injustice- colonialism and the rest...so thinking back...I used to work with a beautiful woman from Zaire..Her brother worked as an economist...and had involvement with the World Bank...she was a bit of an actress.. Highly beautiful and arrogant...but a fine woman...She did have certain prejudices against other Africans...for instance she disrespect those from the Congo...as for the Congo..My daughter has a friend who is an economist- He has dedicated his life to the improvement of African nations....so far he has spent over 15 years on the continent....so that's about all I know about Africa- no a whole lot...

Old 10-08-2012, 09:34 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,735,103 times
I know Africa is fascinating ... and different ... from Egypt to Morocco to Kenya to South Africa.

However, I plead ignorance. Every documentary on Africa I've ever watched dealt with animals, or humans, outrunning a more powerful creature to ensure their survival. Not exactly uplifting, nor inviting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa