U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 10:15 PM

4,433 posts, read 4,414,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Okay - the only ones that I had met were about two years ago- My son was dating a girl from Africa- her relatives would like to come over and hang out for the weekend..They were a bright and noble bunch of young woman..One thing I did notice is that these people were not average types - One girls father was a high ranking bureaucrat..the others had fathers who were military...One was a Russian trained fighter pilot...They did mention that even with them as far as status - skin tone was important...They were not like typical blacks for American or Canadian projects- There was no white hate- and they did not suffer from a typical North American inferiority complex..They were dignified and proud...

I guess the reason I posted what I did was because of the one read I had...concerning Africa on CD..and it was ONE person going on and on about social injustice- colonialism and the rest...so thinking back...I used to work with a beautiful woman from Zaire..Her brother worked as an economist...and had involvement with the World Bank...she was a bit of an actress.. Highly beautiful and arrogant...but a fine woman...She did have certain prejudices against other Africans...for instance she disrespect those from the Congo...as for the Congo..My daughter has a friend who is an economist- He has dedicated his life to the improvement of African nations....so far he has spent over 15 years on the continent....so that's about all I know about Africa- no a whole lot...
The overwhelming majority of Blacks in America and Canada are middle class. Why are blacks who live in American or Canadian projects were brought up to contrast with Africans I would never know. Then typical blacks who live in American or Canadian projects do not hate white people. Then typical blacks who live in American or Canadian projects do not suffer a "typical North American inferiority complex" I don't even know what that is.

But beside this liberals or progressives generally fight for social injustice this isn't even just an African thing, it's a world thing. It's half the political spectrum of every society. Truth is most African countries are young just a few decades away from colonialism. And are now competing against western nations in which every nation is out for itself first. But at the same times Africans I have met acknowledge issues in there countries that isn't the fault of the west. I just think your over generalizing and reading people wrong.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I know Africa is fascinating ... and different ... from Egypt to Morocco to Kenya to South Africa.

However, I plead ignorance. Every documentary on Africa I've ever watched dealt with animals, or humans, outrunning a more powerful creature to ensure their survival. Not exactly uplifting, nor inviting.
I have found very few my self. Check these out they're African history documentaries by Henry Louis Gates.

Wonders of the African World - Episode 1 & 2 - Black Kingdoms of the Nile & The Swahili Coast - YouTube
Swahili culture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nubia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wonders of the African World - Episode 5 & 6 - The Road to Timbuktu & Lost Cities of the South - YouTube
Timbuktu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Songhai Empire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Great Zimbabwe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wonders of the African World - Episode 3 & 4 - The Slave Kingdoms & The Holy Land - YouTube
Atlantic slave trade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Axum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-09-2012, 05:49 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
Maybe the Africa Forum is the least popular is because this thread is the most popular thread in the forum?

Old 10-09-2012, 10:29 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,512,008 times
Because its Africa.... and no im not racist black myself.
Same would be true if there was a North Korea forum.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:00 AM

5,180 posts, read 4,672,714 times
Quote:
I guess the reason I posted what I did was because of the one read I had...concerning Africa on CD..and it was ONE person going on and on about social injustice- colonialism and the rest...
Hmm, mind elaborating about this ONE person who was going on & on?

Old 10-09-2012, 02:42 PM

2,787 posts, read 2,507,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I can't tell who's the one trolling here. Actually...yes I can.

I and a number of my friends think about Africa. Unbelievable though it may sound to some people (^^^), students, even WHITE students , study African music, African art, history, or African languages in college. They continue an interest in the country their favorite music or art or language is from well past college age, following current events there, perhaps volunteering to help students who arrive from there, supporting development work there, etc. This is what we here, in the US, called "well-rounded people".

What would you do or see in Africa? OMG! Go back to college and take a survey course on Africa, or at the very least, visits a travel agent or a travel bookstore. Have you heard of Mt Kilimanjaro? For some reason, your post doesn't inspire confidence that I'll receive a positive answer. Victoria Falls, the Okovango Delta, ALL of the beauty of South Africa, and the traditions, as well as contemporary South African musical theater,(located mainly in Capetown, which is a bit of a tourist mecca), which has toured the West at various times to thunderous acclaim, Arab culture in Zanzibar, Maasai culture in Kenya, Bushmen/San culture in Namibia and Botswana, the markets of West Africa and their rich textile and art traditions, The griots of The Gambia and senegal, today's oral historians set to indigenous harp music. I could go on, but you get the idea. Please educate yourself.

Would YOU want to be on a continent that not long ago exploded into tribal war that resulted in a long-stable country blowing apart in a half-dozen separate nations? That would be Europe. Those Europeans tend to very unpredictable and bellicose (WWI, WWII); better stay well clear of them.

Personally, I would have no problem visiting Kenya, Tanzania, Mozambique, Madagascar, South Africa, Botswana, Malawi (do you even know where that is on the map? Better go check.), Egypt (depending on the political scene), and parts of West Africa. A lot of people do visit those places. Egypt has been a tourist destination for over 100 years. Where have you been?

Fear-mongering by saying one region is unstable so the entire continent must be avoided is too obvious a biased ploy to have an effect on anyone with a functioning brain. Do you realize people avoid the US for the same reason, whenever there's a riot in Los Angeles, or a police action in Florida, or some other incident that gets sensationalized in the international media? Some fools actually think they need to avoid ALL of the US, just because of one localized problem. Well, that's their loss, and maybe we don't need people like that visiting anyway.

The medical care question: US patients who acquire parasites usually can't find treatment in the US. The lucky ones find someone outside the insurance system who has a connection with a parasite lab in Nigeria, and send blood samples there. The Nigerian lab returns a full analysis ALONG WITH a medicinal tea targeting each type of parasite. After seeing a friend suffer for years with parasites, and hearing how doctors and hospital labs dithered helplessly, unable to diagnose, let alone treat, I'm pretty grateful to Nigeria right now. To tell you the truth, I'm more fearful of medical care in the US than I am in a lot of other countries around the world.

Travelling to Africa, as with Travel to Russia, you should pay for traveller's insurance, so that if you do require surgery for an emergency, you can be airlifted out. This is is not a big deal. Such accidents rarely happen, anyway. That sort of thing is a fear that people who don't like certain countries or parts of the world use to bash the region in question. There's a name for that type of post on forums. I'm sure you can think of it.
First, slow your roll and come up for air.

I was not and I am not "attacking" Africa or Africans and I apologize, if that is the way that I came off.

I am well aware of most of your points but my point is the ugly and uncomfortably sad truth is that, other than the Feed The Children and UNICEF commercials, NatGeo documentaries, and news reports about the civil wars, high crime and genocide that plague many, if not most countries in Africa, most people don't really care about Africa. Yes, they may say how sad and a few will give a little money but most people view Africa as the third (turd) world that is FUBAR and unsalvageable.

Most people cannot relate with Africans and frankly, do not want to relate with them.

What I mean is that "Africans" are viewed as "them" or "others", not as "us" or "brethren". I think that most of us don't see ourselves in "them", so we don't make the human connection, thus, it is easier for us to be detached and uncaring.

That is neither a judgment of Africans or non-Africans but just an honest observation.

I am not saying it's right but I am saying that, it is what it is.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKmachine View Post
I don't see the parallel you really have to explain that. Africa is the second most populous continent full of countries with in different situations and North Korea is a solo nation in which many UN nations have sanctions against.

Nigeria 166,629,000

DR Congo 69,575,000

South Africa 50,586,757

Tanzania 43,188,000

Kenya 38,610,097

Uganda 32,939,800

Morocco 32,693,700

Sudan 30,894,000

Ghana 24,658,823

North Korea 24,554,000

Mozambique 23,700,715

Ivory Coast 21,395,000

Madagascar 20,696,070

Angola 20,609,294

Cameroon 20,129,878

The truth is the west still treat Africa as the the dark continent little Europeans knew about Africa it was the last continent to be colonize. After colorization because of racism Africa was deny history. Now African history is not deny but just ignore and not taught.

For instance most the west think Nubia is a myth

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...005%282%29.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3362/4...a640046b_b.jpg

Most of the west think Timbuktu is a myth, very little is know about the culture of the Sahel or the Sudan

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nn%C3%A9_1.jpg

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6224/6...6736819a_b.jpg

Most of the West never heard of Great Zimbabwe

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8303/7...cf2ca5f3_c.jpg

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4097/4...2cb74468_b.jpg

The odd thing Swahili culture is actually known but still little is known about it.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8145/7...465edea7_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7221/7...66a3c028_b.jpg

The said thing this is basic stuff. but the only thing most westerner know about Africa is the same stuff you find in a zoo. So what interesting about that? The Appeal to ignorance fallacy, Because not much is taught or told about Africa circulates the idea back there's not much to talk about. Nubia is a myth because it's not taught or talk about, like who American grew up seeing pictures of Nubia? So even though the history factual does exist who know it exist? the evidence is still absence. Basically the ignoring of Africa create the reason to ignore Africa more. Besides the cultural symbolism of it, this hurts African nations in tourism and other industries.

Argument from ignorance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I just touch on history I haven't brought up pop culture and etc. Africa has several English speaking counties they are apart of the Anglosphere but they might as well speak korean the way they are ignore.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:26 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,929,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKmachine View Post
This doesn't make sense, one is a continent and the other a country. Being black does't make your educated about Africa. A lot of black people outside of Africa know very little about Africa, heck probably the majority.

Most people just look at Charity fund commercials and ignorantly assume that is all of Africa instead of taking the time to educate themselves on each individual country in Africa.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:20 PM

5,180 posts, read 4,672,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
The truth is the west still treat Africa as the the dark continent little Europeans knew about Africa it was the last continent to be colonize. After colorization because of racism Africa was deny history. Now African history is not deny but just ignore and not taught.
As someone who has an interest in African history, the bolded above is probably true for the Anglophone world, particularly the U.S. but not necessarily so for the west as a whole.

There is far greater continent wide coveerage available if you are proficient in the Romance languages, above all French.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
The said thing this is basic stuff. but the only thing most westerner know about Africa is the same stuff you find in a zoo. So what interesting about that? The Appeal to ignorance fallacy, Because not much is taught or told about Africa circulates the idea back there's not much to talk about. Nubia is a myth because it's not taught or talk about, like who American grew up seeing pictures of Nubia? So even though the history factual does exist who know it exist? the evidence is still absence. Basically the ignoring of Africa create the reason to ignore Africa more. Besides the cultural symbolism of it, this hurts African nations in tourism and other industries.

Argument from ignorance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Speaking about argument from ignorance one thing that really turns people off from Africana Studies, even many continental Africans & African Americans I've known over the years, are the nut cases who claim they are descendants of nubian olmec kings & queens and other divine peoples of the sun. They have this attitude that anyone does not make them feel good is either a bigot or a traitor to their race.

This does not help Africana Studies to be taken seriously as a legitimate field of study.

Last edited by kovert; 10-09-2012 at 05:32 PM..

Old 10-09-2012, 05:51 PM

4,453 posts, read 3,751,922 times
Default But you see...

Quote:
Okay - the only ones that I had met were about two years ago- My son was dating a girl from Africa- her relatives would like to come over and hang out for the weekend..They were a bright and noble bunch of young woman..One thing I did notice is that these people were not average types - One girls father was a high ranking bureaucrat..the others had fathers who were military...One was a Russian trained fighter pilot...They did mention that even with them as far as status - skin tone was important...They were not like typical blacks for American or Canadian projects- There was no white hate- and they did not suffer from a typical North American inferiority complex..They were dignified and proud...

I guess the reason I posted what I did was because of the one read I had...concerning Africa on CD..and it was ONE person going on and on about social injustice- colonialism and the rest...so thinking back...I used to work with a beautiful woman from Zaire..Her brother worked as an economist...and had involvement with the World Bank...she was a bit of an actress.. Highly beautiful and arrogant...but a fine woman...She did have certain prejudices against other Africans...for instance she disrespect those from the Congo...as for the Congo..My daughter has a friend who is an economist- He has dedicated his life to the improvement of African nations....so far he has spent over 15 years on the continent....so that's about all I know about Africa- no a whole lot...
what you know, you have shared, and what you have shared is a crack of light from an open door allowing a view, a perspective, that I (we) would not otherwise have had the pleasure of knowing; and I thank you for that crack of light from an open door, sincerely.

As minor as you may see this contribution I personally find it interesting from a sociological point of view and perhaps more people will consider coming forward (after thinking back) with their own version of a crack of light from an open door...I sure hope so.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa