U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 06:41 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,756,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The medical care question: US patients who acquire parasites usually can't find treatment in the US. The lucky ones find someone outside the insurance system who has a connection with a parasite lab in Nigeria, and send blood samples there. The Nigerian lab returns a full analysis ALONG WITH a medicinal tea targeting each type of parasite. After seeing a friend suffer for years with parasites, and hearing how doctors and hospital labs dithered helplessly, unable to diagnose, let alone treat, I'm pretty grateful to Nigeria right now. To tell you the truth, I'm more fearful of medical care in the US than I am in a lot of other countries around the world.

Travelling to Africa, as with Travel to Russia, you should pay for traveller's insurance, so that if you do require surgery for an emergency, you can be airlifted out. This is is not a big deal. Such accidents rarely happen, anyway. That sort of thing is a fear that people who don't like certain countries or parts of the world use to bash the region in question. There's a name for that type of post on forums. I'm sure you can think of it.
how this always seems to go with many of your contributions...the current thread topic is in the Africa forum so how is it actually that you feel compelled to provide a critique of the U.S. healthcare system and its apparent inability to treat parasites?

Would you please provide the facts concerning the statement, US patients who acquire parasites usually can't find treatment in the US? Also please reference which parasites, as well, if you don't mind.

Imagine my dismay at hearing this U.S. ineptitude concerning parasites as I have personally experienced a parasitic occurrence (in 1989...over twenty years ago) and amazingly did receive an immediate diagnosis and excellent care with a wonderful General Practitioner (absolutely brilliant man) and at a community hospital, no less.

Also, concerning the last two sentences of your post...That sort of thing is a fear that people who don't like certain countries or parts of the world use to bash the region in question. There's a name for that type of post on forums. I'm sure you can think of it.

Honestly, this actually sums up your consistent criticism of the U.S. and its populace.

I wish you peace Ruth4Truth and perhaps a healthier and more open minded view and opinion of the United States of America and her citizens, overall I believe it is not the Dogpatch U.S.A. that you make it out to be.

Best regards, sincerely and truly

HomeIsWhere...

Old 10-09-2012, 10:23 PM

26,160 posts, read 15,365,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84
Why is the African forum the least popular?
I dunno buddy,Africa is awesome! (Nigeria,etc)

Old 10-13-2012, 02:22 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,119,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
how this always seems to go with many of your contributions...the current thread topic is in the Africa forum so how is it actually that you feel compelled to provide a critique of the U.S. healthcare system and its apparent inability to treat parasites?

Would you please provide the facts concerning the statement, US patients who acquire parasites usually can't find treatment in the US? Also please reference which parasites, as well, if you don't mind.

Imagine my dismay at hearing this U.S. ineptitude concerning parasites as I have personally experienced a parasitic occurrence (in 1989...over twenty years ago) and amazingly did receive an immediate diagnosis and excellent care with a wonderful General Practitioner (absolutely brilliant man) and at a community hospital, no less.

Also, concerning the last two sentences of your post...That sort of thing is a fear that people who don't like certain countries or parts of the world use to bash the region in question. There's a name for that type of post on forums. I'm sure you can think of it.

Honestly, this actually sums up your consistent criticism of the U.S. and its populace.

I wish you peace Ruth4Truth and perhaps a healthier and more open minded view and opinion of the United States of America and her citizens, overall I believe it is not the Dogpatch U.S.A. that you make it out to be.

Best regards, sincerely and truly

HomeIsWhere...
It won't let me rep you again. Excellent post.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:53 AM

3,723 posts, read 4,591,643 times
A lot of these World Forums should have sub-forums for countries. The fact that Canada has province sub-forums and leads the pack should tell you something. Like why isn't Asia broken down into a sub-forum for China, Japan, Saudia Arabia and Russia? Africa should have a sub-forum for South Africa and Egypt to start with.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:35 AM

5,239 posts, read 6,763,555 times
I don't agree with dissecting it further with sub-forums. This forum doesn't get that much traffic as it is. I don't believe sub-forums would increase the traffic any. On world forums like one that comes to mind, its necessary to break it down by region and country, it would be a mess if they didn't. Here I don't see the need.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:27 AM

26 posts, read 30,254 times
I think this is the most honest observation for the reason why the forum is least popular. Most of the rest are short of connection or either describe an Africa that does not exist in reality. One major assumption here is that all Africans talk the same language namely English. Even in an English speaking country one should be made to realize that its only so as a second language and not the main language. As such very few communicate in English.
As for the connectivity issues, the connection and coverage of internet is far spread than most people in the west know.
On the issue of this site it is unknown to Africans and I only happened to see it accidentally though I have been on internet for over six years continuously. This site is more US and less about other continent leave alone Africa because one can hardly who the forum member is. It still could be an American living in another continent or originating there.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:41 AM

26 posts, read 30,254 times
While I will agree with a few observations, what I note on this post is that it is not an African post and there is no African feel to it. It is also clear that most respondents are not widely traveled more so in Africa and that is why am amazed at the thoughts that I have observed.
There is also another irony here. Africa is being treated as if it is one country the way you would talk about the United States or Andora or whatever. In my view the generalized observation is so misleading because in its lack of specifics it leaves out a lot of information about the particular important cases like one walking nonestop with only one destination in mind - The United States. That thought has left me with a chuckle.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:39 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,545,592 times
Low post count doesn't have to automatically mean least popular. It could mean less bickering, higher level of consensus, more harmony, a greater degree of substance and conciseness. It could mean that the African forum is the ideal place for a high level of depth and substance in as few words as necessary.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:34 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,310,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Really, most African Americans have no more connection/interest to Africa today than non-Africans. Dare I say, deep down I'm sure they're thankful their ancestors were brought as slaves, since even a poor black in America has a better quality of life than someone living in Sub-Saharan Africa.

I'm a traveller. I have ancestral roots in Asia but I'm no more or less interested in it than say Europe. I think of myself as an Earthling and identify with the human race and all it's diverse tribes. Africa is where we all supposedly came from so we should all have an interest in it.
This is the most disrepectful post ive ever witnessed on this forum. Ignorant in more ways than one!!!!!!

Old 10-10-2013, 11:42 PM

4,654 posts, read 3,709,943 times
You have to understand that not everyone in Africa can afford a computer,a landline and internet connection that can cost in certain countries the equivalent of a whole month salary.
Despite the progress,internet connections and computer equipments are still expensive in Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa