U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-23-2013, 02:18 PM
 
5,823 posts, read 10,154,728 times
Reputation: 4536

Advertisements

My question will be simple : how long as a white man could I survive in Lagos before being mugged-or worse ? 5 minutes? 5 hours ? do not say 5 days, I won't believe you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-23-2013, 02:40 PM
 
4,995 posts, read 7,312,159 times
Reputation: 7992
why do ppl from nigeria like to scam people on Craigslist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2013, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,259,760 times
Reputation: 36087
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
why do ppl from nigeria like to scam people on Craigslist?
I can answer that. For the same reason that people in the USA phone subscribers who are on the Do Not Call registry and say "This is Rachel from Credit Card Services". Or the same reason people in the USA make payday loans at over 300% interest. Or the same reason that people in then USA work in the collections offices of hospitals that charge people $124,000* for treatment of pneumonia without complications, and garnish their wages. Or the same reason that people in the USA troll the highways with a badge, looking for motorists who can be shaken down when the judge falls behind on his sailboat payments. Because it is how they make a living, and therefore become eligible to be called honest hard-working responsible citizens.

By the way, how do you know people in Nigeria "like" doing that job? Do you think there are lots of other good-paying jobs to be had in Nigeria?

* http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...another-38000/

Last edited by jtur88; 07-23-2013 at 03:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2013, 06:32 PM
 
4,995 posts, read 7,312,159 times
Reputation: 7992
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I can answer that. For the same reason that people in the USA phone subscribers who are on the Do Not Call registry and say "This is Rachel from Credit Card Services". Or the same reason people in the USA make payday loans at over 300% interest. Or the same reason that people in then USA work in the collections offices of hospitals that charge people $124,000* for treatment of pneumonia without complications, and garnish their wages. Or the same reason that people in the USA troll the highways with a badge, looking for motorists who can be shaken down when the judge falls behind on his sailboat payments. Because it is how they make a living, and therefore become eligible to be called honest hard-working responsible citizens.

By the way, how do you know people in Nigeria "like" doing that job? Do you think there are lots of other good-paying jobs to be had in Nigeria?

* One hospital charges $8,000
I dont really care about Nigeria and their job situation. So I can't answer your question. However, there is no denying that SO many CL scams are based in Nigeria.... I just wanna know why. Why are more not based in Somalia? or Congo? or South Africa? why Nigeria?

That was my question. Don't get mad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2013, 08:30 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,259,760 times
Reputation: 36087
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I dont really care about Nigeria and their job situation. So I can't answer your question. However, there is no denying that SO many CL scams are based in Nigeria.... I just wanna know why. Why are more not based in Somalia? or Congo? or South Africa? why Nigeria?

That was my question. Don't get mad.
Because Nigeria is where some entrepreneurs set up the internet scams. Same as beer in Germany and cameras in Japan and salvaging precious metals from scrap computers in India. Trees usually grow where the seeds fall. For all we know, there might be only one internet scam based in Nigeria, and it has a few thousand workers in one building all logged on to the internet. But more likely, that is where a lot of individual workers got their first opportunity and training, and went out on their own with their own competing operations down the street.

Nigeria is a very large country with a huge population, it is essentially the USA of Africa, and probably the first to be extensively wired online. It is where you would naturally expect a large successful enterprise to form and grow in an environment of slack regulation and easily bribed authorities, which are common to nearly all the third world.

Nigeria also has a very large diaspora of people who went abroad, and retained their Nigerian roots or else were expelled and sent back home. Taking with them a knowledge of the internet and of the gullibility of greedy Europeans. There are a lot of scam workers outside Nigeria, mosltly in other African countries, but I think they are mostly connected by cell phone to one or more central operations in Nigeria where their internet connections are set up. A Nigerian living in Sweden can't make enough money in the scam to live on, but it could be good income for someone in Sierra Leone.

This is just a guess, I don't have any specific data or information about the scams. But the above is just what would be logically extrapolated from what everybody already knows. Did you think I was mad?

Last edited by jtur88; 07-24-2013 at 08:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 12:25 PM
 
11 posts, read 10,589 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantana View Post
This thread may or may not be hailstorm in the making, depending on the responses. But feel free to ask any question that you may have concerning Nigeria, culture, people, places, etc (as long as there is no sarcasm involved, of course).

I will open the floor with some positive/neutral trivia on the country:

1. Second-Highest GDP (Nominal) in Africa

2. Home country to Africa's richest man AND richest Black man, Aliko Dangote

3. First Nobel Prize winner from Africa is Nigerian (Wole Soyinka, Literature)

4. Most translated African Author of all time is Nigerian (Chinua Achebe). I believe his first novel, Things Fall Apart, is also the best selling African book of all time.

5. Largest population on the continent

6. Highest birth rate of twins in the world (there are also individual names reserved for twins only, such as Taiwo and Kehinde).

7. Large cultural and geographical diversity (250 ethnic groups, 3 ethnic groups of which are the majority).

8. High cultural diversity as a cause for a relatively large number of cities and urban areas (some ancient), including: Lagos, Ibadan, Abeokuta, Enugu, Onitsha, Benin, Kano, Kaduna, Sokoto, Calabar, Port Harcourt.

9. Large Afro-cultural influence in several New World countries as a result of the slave trade (Ifa/Yoruba religion)

10. Most educated/progressive immigrant group (so I've heard) in the US

11. Home to some of the most detailed and sophisticated ancient iron/bronze cast artworks in Africa (Benin, Ife, Igbo-Ukwu etc).

12. Large entertainment powerhouse in the African scene, from music to movies. An interesting site you can check out is Bellanaija.com

13. First Black African Miss World is Nigerian

14. Noted personalities from Nigeria include but are not limited to, Fela Kuti, Ngozi Okonjo Iweala (who received a nomination for presidency of World Bank), etc.

15. Large market for business and investors in the Continent: 100 million mobile cell lines, largest number of internet users (hehe), large luxury brand market, etc.
Whoa, you sure paint a pretty picture of Nigerians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 12:30 PM
 
11 posts, read 10,589 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
My question will be simple : how long as a white man could I survive in Lagos before being mugged-or worse ? 5 minutes? 5 hours ? do not say 5 days, I won't believe you!
Not just a white man. They kill each other without a second thought. I know of three men who had lived in the states 25+ years. Each one was murdered while there, one was murdered on Christmas day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2013, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,259,760 times
Reputation: 36087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sussieqt View Post
Whoa, you sure paint a pretty picture of Nigerians.
And what kind of a picture would you paint of your nationality and homeland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2013, 08:02 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,259,760 times
Reputation: 36087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantana View Post
14. Noted personalities from Nigeria include but are not limited to, Fela Kuti, Ngozi Okonjo Iweala (who received a nomination for presidency of World Bank), etc.
Since "etc." includes everybody, your list IS limited to etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2013, 10:40 PM
 
671 posts, read 597,242 times
Reputation: 373
OP thanks for starting this thread. It's good to see another West African here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top