U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 02:12 AM

4,434 posts, read 4,427,905 times

Advertisements

Is Lagos Island the city or the urban area together is just called Lagos?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 02:21 AM

74 posts, read 171,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Is Lagos Island the city or the urban area together is just called Lagos?
Lagos is a state (wholly urbanized) comprising two main sections, the Island (Lagos Island), and the mainland. You would call both the mainland and Island Lagos.

The state capital, Ikeja, is on the mainland.

The Island is home to the financial district though. You will tend to find some of the most exclusive and wealthiest neighborhoods in the country on the island but there very poor areas there too.

I feel that the mainland is more evenly middle-class.

Last edited by Mantana; 10-07-2012 at 02:32 AM..

Old 10-07-2012, 04:49 AM

1,866 posts, read 3,429,760 times
Thanks so much Mantana, those are beautiful pictures! I had no idea Nigeria had such natural beauty.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:05 AM

3,130 posts, read 6,845,244 times
Interesting post, thanks for sharing. Correction though, the richest African is Ethiopian though (Al Amoudi, born Ethiopian and has a net worth estimated to be around $12.5 Billion). It is a shame with all the billionairs in Africa so many are still so poor.

Also, it is said that if you have a history or twins in your family and didn't need assistance from a doctor to get them it is most likely due to Nigerian genetic traits.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Interesting post, thanks for sharing. Correction though, the richest African is Ethiopian though (Al Amoudi, born Ethiopian and has a net worth estimated to be around $12.5 Billion). It is a shame with all the billionairs in Africa so many are still so poor.
When I mentioned richest in Africa, I was thinking along the lines of African businessmen based in Africa. Mohammed Al Amoudi operates in Saudi Arabia and has Saudi Arabian citizenship though he is partly of Ethiopian heritage, I think.

But I stand corrected there though because Al Amoudi is the richest Black man.

To be honest, Africa could stand to have more Billionaire Businessmen. As much flack as conglomerates and corporations receive, home-grown enterprises and large-scale industry in Africa will make economies buoyant and provide jobs and higher spending power for people. A plethora Mega-rich CEOs/MDs (whatever people may think) would be a good indicator of this.

Quote:
Also, it is said that if you have a history or twins in your family and didn't need assistance from a doctor to get them it is most likely due to Nigerian genetic traits.
Interesting bit.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:48 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,379,050 times
Why don't Nigerian scammers set up shop in the USA, instead, where there are no effective laws or enforcement against scams. For example, Rachel, from Account Services, has been phoning me every week for more than five years, in spite of the so-called Do Not Call law in the USA. Account Services would have been arrested and prosecuted by now, under the 419 law, if they were operating in Nigeria, but in the USA they have effective immunity from lax prosecution.

I've been thinking of opening up a business in the USA, as a kind of processing center or clearing house for Nigerian scams, so Nigerians can avoid the risk at home of 419 prosecutions. Do you think Nigerian scammers would be interested in this kind of business freedom which is uniquely American?

Old 10-07-2012, 08:51 AM

Manta, Ato Al Amoudi does not operate soley in Saudi but in Europe and Ethiopia (has a lot of businesses and investments in Ethiopia and for a while when the Prime Minister of Ethiopia passed I thought he would take over). For the most part he has a hand in just about every business aspect in Ethiopia from Hospitals to Hotels to Cement investments etc. He also does business in other parts of the world. Al Moudi was not only born in Ethiopia, his father migrated to Ethiopia, his mother was Ethiopian and all of his wives/misstresses are Ethiopian. He lives in Ethiopia and has dual citizenship (for obvious political reasons). A lot of newspapers will also say that he is Saudi or some other nonsense and or don't identify him as black it is also all very much politics.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:58 AM

jtur88, scammers are also Americans and any other group of people for that matter. Nigerians are brilliantly smart people and the scammers are not Nigeria's entire population. It should be common sense if someone you don't know says they are a princess and and needs your $$ right away that you should just ignore them. Where was Madolf from? The US system is a bit flawed when it comes to sharing and or gaining access to ones personal data. I think that is the real issue. If you give people a chance to steal from you they will doesn't matter who it is, it is a shame that Nigerians take most of the blame for it.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Why don't Nigerian scammers set up shop in the USA, instead, where there are no effective laws or enforcement against scams. For example, Rachel, from Account Services, has been phoning me every week for more than five years, in spite of the so-called Do Not Call law in the USA. Account Services would have been arrested and prosecuted by now, under the 419 law, if they were operating in Nigeria, but in the USA they have effective immunity from lax prosecution.

I've been thinking of opening up a business in the USA, as a kind of processing center or clearing house for Nigerian scams, so Nigerians can avoid the risk at home of 419 prosecutions. Do you think Nigerian scammers would be interested?
I'll play along with you and keep it short. I have no idea. Know little or next to nothing about the scamming business.

With your obviously more detailed understanding of scamming and money laundering though you should be able to garner more resources and business contacts if you try hard enough.

Last edited by Mantana; 10-07-2012 at 09:08 AM..

Old 10-07-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
jtur88, scammers are also Americans and any other group of people for that matter. Nigerians are brilliantly smart people and the scammers are not Nigeria's entire population. It should be common sense if someone you don't know says they are a princess and and needs your $$ right away that you should just ignore them. Where was Madolf from? The US system is a bit flawed when it comes to sharing and or gaining access to ones personal data. I think that is the real issue.
I wouldn't pay too much heed to that sort of post, anyway. I'd rather continue on

Are you Ethiopian, by the way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa