U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 10:35 AM

74 posts, read 171,717 times

Advertisements

Three-wheeled taxi ("Kekenapep"):

More photos:

etc, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 10:44 AM

Hotels, Resorts:

Le Meridien, Uyo:

Old 10-07-2012, 10:48 AM

Sheraton Hotel, Lagos:

Old 10-07-2012, 10:49 AM

Please keep the questions coming.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:15 AM

Stylish Nigerian women in traditional wear:

Old 10-07-2012, 11:17 AM

I'll stop with the pictures at this point.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:35 PM

1,610 posts, read 3,157,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantana View Post
I'll stop with the pictures at this point.
Nice pics! The three-wheeled taxi looks just like what we have in India. Which is the place shown in the picture with the boats?

Sorry if I am raking up an irrelevant issue, but I am interested in History. Are the problems that led to the Biafran War of the '60s now mostly resolved? I have read that the Biafran areas were more developed/industrialized than the rest of Nigeria at the time. How about now?

Old 10-07-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
Nice pics! The three-wheeled taxi looks just like what we have in India. Which is the place shown in the picture with the boats?

Sorry if I am raking up an irrelevant issue, but I am interested in History. Are the problems that led to the Biafran War of the '60s now mostly resolved? I have read that the Biafran areas were more developed/industrialized than the rest of Nigeria at the time. How about now?
Depends on what you define as the problem. The immediate and superficial issues that directly led to the cause of the war (the coup, counter-coup, pogroms, etc) are gone as they are in the past.

The ethnic tensions that are the real, root cause of the conflict (Igbo vs. Hausa-Fulani/Yoruba) however, have not. There is a general ethnic divide among the major groups and an anti-igbo sentiment in Nigerian culture as a result of Igbos losing the Biafran war, followed by the social problems of Igbos afterwards. This is a multi-faceted situation that is very hard to discuss in detail without sounding biased.

Sad state of affairs, but true.

All regions were about even in development/industrialization at the time, although infrastructure in the South-Eastern region was damaged after the war. There was immediate rehabilitation soon though.

Ironically the south-eastern region, for all of its claims of marginalization (real or unreal), and war tragedy, has the lowest poverty index in the country and is ahead in several human index factors, although it gets a bad rap for the crime rate, and mass exodus of Igbos to the diaspora.

I have to stop here as this topic is somewhat of a taboo to discuss. Just recently Chinua Achebe released his memoirs on the war (There Was A Country) and made a point to discuss some controversial measures taken by Obafemi Awolowo, the then premier of the Western region, and an icon to the Yorubas. Per Achebe, Awolowo made several questioning statements about how to handle the war and instated starvation policies on Biafran civilians, adverse indigenization policies on Igbo-owned assets in the Western region, etc.

The memoir has been causing quite the stir. So this should tell you of the many unresolved issues resulting from the war.

By the way, the boats in front of the Civic Center are in Lagos Island.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:15 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,198,582 times
Beautiful pictures of Nigerian fashion. Are there a lot of design schools in Lagos? Also, do the Nigerian designers that trained in Europe or the U.S. find that it is easier to establish themselves in Nigeria, or do they tend to establish themselves abroad, and then return to Nigeria to expand their businesses?

Old 10-07-2012, 06:37 PM

17,621 posts, read 19,077,584 times
Where is the absolute best shopping? And if you could design a shopping excursion to Nigeria, which cities/shopping centers/local shopping markets would the most important? Retail and wholesale. And are there also great places for going antiquing?

BTW, I want these necklaces!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa