U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 10:09 PM

74 posts, read 171,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
I've heard stories of "bad boys" leashing hyenas and taking them through the ghettos as an intimidation tactic. Any truth to it?

No. As far as I know. I've seen some art photos online rendering this but never seen it before in person nor have I heard of it (from people I know, or on the papers, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 10:52 PM

74 posts, read 171,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Nigerian moves are famous in Africa, as I understand. I think Nollywood is like the 3rd largest movie industry worldwide?

Do you think Nigerian movies would be shown commercially in the US? Are there trade barriers preventing this?

Conversely, do Nigerians watch American movies? Are there theaters like we have in the US or do ppl mostly watch DVDs?

How are the movies transferred to other countries? Internet, or do ppl trade in DVDs, or is there a distribution system to theaters like in the US?

How about piracy of movies? I would think it is rampant. Are there controls to try to prevent people from copying movies illegally...if that's even illegal?

Finally, in the US the black movies usually have fairer-skinned heroines as they're more popular. Is it the same in Nigeria?
Most Nigerian movies are made straight to video and are somewhat soap-opera-ish as far as picture quality. Not too suitable for theaters.... also demanding of an acquired (i.e. Africanized) taste to be appreciated. The DVDs are distributed by a very strong and tightly controlled network of marketers with trade links in Africa and the Caribbean. I have even found that neighborhoods with a strong West African or Caribbean presence in the States tend to have stores that sell these movies.

All thanks to the marketers and distributors. Their influence on the success of these movies is so strong that they also dictate actor and crew salaries. I remember some controversy a while back about how very high-profile actors/actresses were temporarily banned from acting movies because they supposedly charged steep rates to perform. These were really big names in the Nollywood scene so the power of these distributors hit home for many. I also guess that this is because the distributors finance these movies and have a big influence over actor associations and unions.

The plots and other technicalities in these movies could use a little work. It's weird because while the picture quality of Nollywood movies has improved over the years, the story lines are becoming more vapid, unoriginal and less "African."

Nigerians also definitely watch American movies and are conversant with American pop-culture, to some extent.

Regarding your other question, I would say that the number of lighter and darker-skinned actors in the industry are about even. Actually, the darker skinned acts may even outnumber the lighter ones. They also tend to be valued more for their talents.

The most famous dark-skinned actress is Genevieve Nnaji.

http://www.cruisenigeria.com/wp-cont...ieve-nnaji.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_fKlFT2ZbIt...nevieve+nnaji2

http://www.aprokocity.com/wp-content...e-Nnaji135.jpg

Another contender that comes to mind is Mercy Johnson. People do not find her beautiful at all but she is seen as a good actress and sex symbol (due to some of the roles she plays):

http://nollywoodgossip.net/wp-conten...y-Johnson5.jpg
http://watchnigerianmoviesonline.com...210cb81b_l.jpg

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 04-27-2013 at 12:03 AM.. Reason: Please follow guidelines for posting pictures that you didn't take, thanks!

Old 05-09-2013, 09:25 PM

5 posts, read 5,478 times
very interesting thread I'm a fellow Nigeria Yoruba been lurking here

Old 05-28-2013, 06:46 PM

26 posts, read 25,997 times
How are your chances in the next World Cup shaping up? I know it's a ways off, but a soccer discussion would be nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRpeEdMmmQ0

Old 05-30-2013, 02:09 AM

10,422 posts, read 12,414,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaius Magnus View Post
How are your chances in the next World Cup shaping up? I know it's a ways off, but a soccer discussion would be nice.

Waka Waka (This Time for Africa) (The Official 2010 FIFA ... - YouTube
Well at least they are doing better than Morocco, so much skill/offensive talent but still not able to qualify for WC 2014

Old 06-12-2013, 11:23 PM

2,646 posts, read 4,065,097 times
Thank you for the wonderful thread Mantana. Nigeria as well as Ireland has St Patrick as the patron saint. Do you celebrate St Patrick's Day in Nigeria? If so, how?

Old 06-13-2013, 11:12 AM

11,435 posts, read 16,468,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantana View Post
This thread may or may not be hailstorm in the making, depending on the responses. But feel free to ask any question that you may have concerning Nigeria, culture, people, places, etc (as long as there is no sarcasm involved, of course).

I will open the floor with some positive/neutral trivia on the country:

1. Second-Highest GDP (Nominal) in Africa

2. Home country to Africa's richest man AND richest Black man, Aliko Dangote

3. First Nobel Prize winner from Africa is Nigerian (Wole Soyinka, Literature)

4. Most translated African Author of all time is Nigerian (Chinua Achebe). I believe his first novel, Things Fall Apart, is also the best selling African book of all time.

5. Largest population on the continent

6. Highest birth rate of twins in the world (there are also individual names reserved for twins only, such as Taiwo and Kehinde).

7. Large cultural and geographical diversity (250 ethnic groups, 3 ethnic groups of which are the majority).

8. High cultural diversity as a cause for a relatively large number of cities and urban areas (some ancient), including: Lagos, Ibadan, Abeokuta, Enugu, Onitsha, Benin, Kano, Kaduna, Sokoto, Calabar, Port Harcourt.

9. Large Afro-cultural influence in several New World countries as a result of the slave trade (Ifa/Yoruba religion)

10. Most educated/progressive immigrant group (so I've heard) in the US

11. Home to some of the most detailed and sophisticated ancient iron/bronze cast artworks in Africa (Benin, Ife, Igbo-Ukwu etc).

12. Large entertainment powerhouse in the African scene, from music to movies. An interesting site you can check out is Bellanaija.com

13. First Black African Miss World is Nigerian

14. Noted personalities from Nigeria include but are not limited to, Fela Kuti, Ngozi Okonjo Iweala (who received a nomination for presidency of World Bank), etc.

15. Large market for business and investors in the Continent: 100 million mobile cell lines, largest number of internet users (hehe), large luxury brand market, etc.
If Nigeria is so prosperous, civilized and cultured, why is it so vehemently anti-gay?

http://www.dw.de/nigerias-gay-commun...law/a-16851934

Old 06-26-2013, 03:58 PM

11,435 posts, read 16,468,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
If Nigeria is so prosperous, civilized and cultured, why is it so vehemently anti-gay?

Nigeria
Does the civilized, cultured Nigerian wish to comment? Did Tarzan rip your tongue out?

Old 06-27-2013, 11:41 AM

21,383 posts, read 19,304,861 times
From what I know Nigeria is a ticking time-bomb, with all those ethnic groups, not to mention Muslims and Christians and other believers... It should break up into three countries, would probably be the best thing that could happen.

Angola is way better at making something out of its natural resources, while Nigeria is still being exploited and environmentally destructed. In terms of sophistication Angola will soon become the number one country in Africa, 10 years from now maybe. It might as well become what many predicted for Nigeria in the past, namely the engine of sub-Saharan Africa.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:52 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,990,595 times
Wow. Nigeria is what's up. Albeit it has its problems.

When can an African Woman divorce? SHOCKING ANSWERS! - YouTube

Given my views and laid back ways I'd be super liberal to those women in Nigeria. Just like with the sexy Arab women. With United Statesian women that are conservative I'm viewed as a communist and gay rights activist. With United Statesian women that are liberal I'm viewed as far a right-winger looking to make a Trans Atlantic Slave Trade on homosexuals and women.

So, basically, you could come from the U.S. or Canada, neither emotionally or physically abuse your Nigerian wife, be a faithful husband and father and she's not going to go off having extra-marital affairs with numerous men and divorce you and take half your money and the kids with her?

Nigerian woman with "back": Nigerian Models | Nigerian Girls, Nigerian Women
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa