Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2012, 09:54 AM

69 posts, read 136,726 times

Advertisements

Anyone on here know where I can look for a job in Africa?

I have a bachelor's degree in Information Technology
and have studied programming. I am also interested in doing artistic work.

Anyone with some info hit me up.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 04:09 AM

7 posts, read 15,061 times
you can volunteer first in a country and look for a job!

Old 10-17-2012, 10:01 AM

@adisabeba: Are you Ethiopian? I volunteered in Ethiopia from 2009-2010. I have been unemployed since returning and would welcome a chance to do some more volunteering--especially if Romney wins in 2012.

Do you know of any volunteer opportunities?

Old 10-24-2012, 07:18 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
It would be difficult to get a good paying job in-country. Most developing nations have a government fund that is used to recruit and employ experts from abroad. An entity who hires a foreign expert can take advantage of this fund only if they recruit abroad and often, hirees engaged locally are not eligible for this supplement. Matters are further complicated in that a smaller business that wishes to hire you might not have enough clout to facilitate the immigration and visa formalities.

Failing the above, you are likely to wind up working for local wages, possibly illegally, which will be barely enough to live on, and subject you to daily concerns about being deported, and as your funds become depleted, at the mercy of your own embassy to repatriate you, which they will bill you for when you get home. This is not to say don't try it, but be aware of the pitfalls and complications.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:17 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,038 times
I'm guessing you're in the US. If you volunteer, forget about the Peace Corps. Go with VSO Canada, it's fine if you're American.

CUSO and VSO Canada merger | Cuso International

Old 10-27-2012, 11:17 PM

Tried the peace corps before, Not going through that again. Thanks. I'll check out the VSO...

Old 10-30-2012, 07:50 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,067,624 times
Try working for the UN. Connections in Africa is what you need, so if you don't know people there it can be impossible to find something good. But in Ethiopia for example there are several US companies and companies from around the world that have offices there. Microsoft and Car Dealerships (like Ford) have developing plants there so you might want to try finding US companies already there.

Some people find employment with some teaching organizations too.

It isn't impossible to work in Africa but most people I know who want to live there establish their own businesses.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:42 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
My experience in traveling is that, when arriving in a new place, there is about a 50-50 chance that within a few weeks you will meet up with a native who is influential enough to help steer you through the right channels to the kinds of opportunities that you can benefit from. The longer you can afford to hang out, the better the chances of getting onto that inside track. You won't need to be searching for it, it will find you. Often, local influential people are quite keen on meeting foreigners, and can be very good and faithful friends. Your chances are better if you are away from area heavily frequented by foreign tourists. Like everywhere, friendly people may or may not have ulterior motives.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:18 AM

I know what you mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa