U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 11:48 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,336,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
the Congolese Franc is not tied to the Euro. .
The Franc of Congo-Brazzaville, the former French colony, is the CFA Franc and is still tied to the Euro. You are thinking of the Franc of Congo-Kinshasa, the former Belgian colony, whose original franc was based on the Belgian franc, inflated wildly, and has been remonetized. Not only are there two countries called Congo, but they both use different Congolese Francs as their currency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 01:09 AM

4,699 posts, read 8,501,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The Franc of Congo-Brazzaville, the former French colony, is the CFA Franc and is still tied to the Euro. You are thinking of the Franc of Congo-Kinshasa, the former Belgian colony, whose original franc was based on the Belgian franc, inflated wildly, and has been remonetized. Not only are there two countries called Congo, but they both use different Congolese Francs as their currency.
Yeah, I'm not confused about which country uses the Congolese Franc and I never said anything to indicate I thought it was Congo-Brazzaville, the Republic of Congo uses a currency called the Central African Franc shared by five other countries, so there's only one currency called the Congolese Franc.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Yeah, I'm not confused about which country uses the Congolese Franc and I never said anything to indicate I thought it was Congo-Brazzaville, the Republic of Congo uses a currency called the Central African Franc shared by five other countries, so there's only one currency called the Congolese Franc.
In that case, your earlier comment did not contradict (nor even reference) what I had said, that the former French colonies had retained the currency that is tied to the Euro. The currency of the former French Congo is the CFA Franc, tied to the Euro. The former Belgian Congo uses the Congolese Franc, which is not, and has never been, associated with the French Franc nor the Euro. The Congolese Franc is not among the currencies that I had described as being a remnant of French colonial rule, and is therefore not an exception to what I had said.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:05 AM

4,123 posts, read 4,753,398 times
Anyone mention Rwanda?

Old 10-24-2012, 03:35 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,501,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In that case, your earlier comment did not contradict (nor even reference) what I had said, that the former French colonies had retained the currency that is tied to the Euro. The currency of the former French Congo is the CFA Franc, tied to the Euro. The former Belgian Congo uses the Congolese Franc, which is not, and has never been, associated with the French Franc nor the Euro. The Congolese Franc is not among the currencies that I had described as being a remnant of French colonial rule, and is therefore not an exception to what I had said.
No, what I was referring to was that you did not say "countries ruled by France have currencies tied to the Euro" You said "places that speak French are expensive because they are tied to the Euro" so I gave an example of a large african country that speaks French and does not have a currency tied to the Euro so OP would look at that aspect of the country if he finds the former French colonies too expensive due to this issue. The fact that it was not ruled by France is irrelevant, OP is only looking for a French speaking African country and former Belgian colonies fit the bill nicely. My intention was not to try and contradict you or prove you wrong, just to point out some major exceptions relevant to the question at hand.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:11 PM

2,174 posts, read 4,400,872 times
Mali was mentioned upthread. Certainly, some of the best music on the continent comes from there but isn't it in the throes of civil unrest?

Mali unrest increases terror threat at home, security minster to warn - Telegraph

Old 10-29-2012, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 822 times
I will suggest you to come in Dakar, Senegal.
Senegal is the most stable country in Africa, they speak a true, correct and good french compared to the other African countries. Senegal also has the best African food.

If you are interested and need more info email me at: tapha150"at"gmail"com

Old 11-01-2012, 08:10 AM

889 posts, read 1,016,580 times
Do you like heat? Or not?

If so, I'd recommend somewhere in West Africa in Senegal, Guinea, Mali, Burkina Faso, or Togo. All are great places, I'm sure you could find a city you'd like in any of them.

If not, check out Gabon - it's right on the equator but due to the Atlantic Ocean it stays really nice year round (average temperature is 83 F or 28 C year round). Libreville itself has miles of beach on the edge of the city and is a very interesting place. Very safe too.

If you prefer Spanish rather than French, Equatorial Guinea is right next door too (I think it's the only Spanish speaking country on the entire continent).

Old 11-01-2012, 10:14 AM

Thinking more about this, there really aren't very many people in Africa who speak French at home. French is mostly spoken as an inter-lingua, among people who are of different mother tongues. So the greatest use of French would be found in cities where there are multiple tribal languages spoken in the immediate vicinity or in the provincial towns where the urbanites have originally come from. This is a factor that can be usefully researched. Even then, it might be a pidgin French/Arabic in the Sahel.

A good resource would be the Michelin Maps of West Africa, which labels the tribal affiliation of all regions, so you can tell at a glance how many tribal languages are likely to contribute to the culture pot of the city in question. Bamako, Mali, comes to mind as one that would use French a lot as an umbrella over several different regional languages, but I don't have a Michelin Map at the moment to refer to.

The Michelin Map is probably the world's best resource on Africa. Am incredible amount of detailed information is incorporated into those maps. When I traveled Africa (1972-6), the Michelin Map was literally the only printed guide in existence to Africa, and it was amazingly accurate in an era pre-satellite imagery. Lonely Planet wasn't even a concept yet. I've seen Michelin Maps in bookstores in the past five years, so I'm sure they are still available.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-01-2012 at 10:23 AM..

Old 11-17-2013, 12:30 PM

4,654 posts, read 3,714,102 times
Algiers is cheaper than Casablanca,has a good transportation network,bus and brand new metro,a modern airport,Algeria is the largest french speaking country in the world (by size),the 2nd largest french speaking by population after France,Algiers is only 40 mns from France,2 hrs from Sub-Saharian countries like Mali,Niger,Burkina Faso.
Many algerians authors use french language,famous novelists and poets like Kateb Yacine,Yasmina Khadra,Malek Haddad,Mohamed Dib,Nordine Abba,Assia Djebbar.

Albert Camus,the 1957 Nobel litterature prize was born algerian,Frantz Fanon,a black algerian patriot and a writer from the Martinique,was a member of the algerian governement in 1962,died for the country and is buried in Algeria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or