U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2012, 05:26 PM

3,150 posts, read 7,251,284 times

Advertisements

Traveling in Western Africa for the first time and I am at a loss to explain all of the unfinished buildings. Small houses to large houses....unfinished apartment buildings and what looks like hotels. Just the concrete frame work and that is it...construction stopped. What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 02:56 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,152,124 times
must be ugly, a wart in the environment. Same things happen in Greece -seems it's the brandmark of underdeveloped countries or countries heading back to underdevelopment...

Old 11-06-2012, 02:46 PM

3,150 posts, read 7,251,284 times
I wouldn't say it is ugly since it is what it is. I was just curious as to why there are so many buildings that are unfinished.

My guess was government money was available to start the project and that was it?

Old 11-07-2012, 01:27 AM

7,653 posts, read 15,333,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
I wouldn't say it is ugly since it is what it is. I was just curious as to why there are so many buildings that are unfinished.

My guess was government money was available to start the project and that was it?
For large commercial buildings, perhaps.

The same thing happens in Mexico with houses, and I suspect other developing and undeveloped countries, as well as historically in the United States (and probably other first-world countries as well). The newlyweds move out of their parents' house and build their own house, which might consist of one or two rooms. The first child comes, and sleeps in the bedroom while the kitchen serves as the hub of women. Later, with a little bit of luck, the husband (and/or wife) earns enough money to begin making additions onto the house. Unfortunately, additional rooms are not usually created in a single day, and often interfering financial concerns, such as the child's education, a medical problem, etc. come into play and the construction is halted. It then picks up again after the issues are alleviated.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:36 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
It's very common in the third world for construction to begin on a building, and the lower floors put into use while work is still going on on the upper levels, which can take many years.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:46 PM

4,453 posts, read 3,753,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
must be ugly, a wart in the environment. Same things happen in Greece -seems it's the brandmark of underdeveloped countries or countries heading back to underdevelopment...
Actually my understanding of the unfinished homes, hotels, and other buildings is because traditionally Greeks did not borrow money to build their homes (or apartment buildings, or small businesses) but rather they paid for the work as they earned and had the money available to do the work. Needless to say when their buildings were completed they were essentially loan/mortgage free.

Although this runs contrary to the American way of life...I also doubt that in the U.S. it would be acceptable to have partially finished homes/buildings dotting the landscape unless one was in a more rural setting; just a guess on my part.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 11-17-2012, 04:35 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,333,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Actually my understanding of the unfinished homes, hotels, and other buildings is because traditionally Greeks did not borrow money to build their homes (or apartment buildings, or small businesses) but rather they paid for the work as they earned and had the money available to do the work. Needless to say when their buildings were completed they were essentially loan/mortgage free.

Although this runs contrary to the American way of life...I also doubt that in the U.S. it would be acceptable to have partially finished homes/buildings dotting the landscape unless one was in a more rural setting; just a guess on my part.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...
I think that's true, too.

In Mexico, it is not customary to buy a used or new home on a mortgage: the entry barriers to obtaining such credit have traditionally been set too high for most Mexicans. Rather, if they build a new home, they do it with their own money, and often live in one or two rooms while the remainder are constructed.

I suppose it is this way in many other countries as well.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:42 PM

6,557 posts, read 9,070,030 times
Some of this construction may be examples of "white elephant" projects.

Quote:

Project: Lake Turkana fish processing plant, Kenya

Donor: Norwegian government

Cost: $22 million

Where it went wrong: The project was designed in 1971 to provide jobs to the Turkana people through fishing and fish processing for export. However, the Turkana are nomads with no history of fishing or eating fish. The plant was completed and operated for a few days, but was quickly shut down. The cost to operate the freezers and the demand for clean water in the desert were too high. It remains a "white elephant" in Kenya's arid northwest.

Failed aid-funded projects in Africa - World news - Africa | NBC News

Old 12-09-2012, 09:54 PM

17,386 posts, read 21,228,976 times
If you want to see a crop of unfinished buildings, eyesores, come to Las Vegas! Sitting unfinished for 4-5 years now! The 63 storey Fountainbleu tower still has the crane on top, only 3/4ths of the glass panels installed, and the ones installed are falling out, one by one! Across the street, it's even worse, the unfinished Echelon project, construction stopped at the 10th floor 4 years ago! The developers are waiting for the economy to improve!

I've seen this, too, in my travels. In much of Latin America you'd think everything is unfinished with all that rebar jutting up from the 2nd floor, awaiting additional funds to add a 2nd floor. The U.S. wouldn't allow that for obvious reasons!

I was in La Paz Bolivia, in the 80's, with big office buildings sitting there unclad, unfinished, the homeless had moved into the lower floors, and visiting there 20 years later, they finally finished them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or