U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-24-2012, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Leeds, UK
22,235 posts, read 23,720,969 times
Reputation: 8607

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure there is a decent tourism base in Africa, mostly catering for the affluent on Safari Parks. But I know very little about Africa, so feel free to enlighten me. It could attract more tourists if it wasn't so backwards and dangerous. South Africa attracts a lot of homosexual tourists because it is more open minded and liberal. That alone generates a lot of revenue, so well done, SA Government.

You're under the assumption that just because I started this thread, that I support the US and its policies - I don't, let me make that very clear. There are plenty of instances of the US abusing its power to get what it wants out of the country I live in (such as the extradition treaty, where in one istance, a young an was extradited to the US for breaking pirating laws that are legal in the UK but not in the US), so very few people are wildly supportive of the US. That doesn't stop me from being disgusted about what is happening in parts of Africa, and this problem is particularly bothersome for me.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 11-24-2012 at 10:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-24-2012, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Gorgeous Scotland
4,123 posts, read 4,754,837 times
Reputation: 3273
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Yes, I'm well aware of the increase in tourism to Africa, but it's hardly Italy or France - and the constant reminder that Africa is actually prehistoric in landscape, history and mindset will put off plenty of people visiting there, and I don't see Kampala rivaling Paris as the world's number one tourist hotspot anytime soon.


Never mentioned the US - you can see from my location that I'm not bothered about its constitution or what you think the US is trying to impose on the rest of the world (both real and imaginary).
Nobody goes to Uganda to visit Kampala. They go to see all the national parks and wildlife. Uganda is filled with lodges or luxury tents for tourists which run $300-400/night. They are usually quite busy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2012, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Gorgeous Scotland
4,123 posts, read 4,754,837 times
Reputation: 3273
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You missed the irony. There is no tourism in Africa. There would still be no tourism in Africa if Uganda shaped up. If you want to go to war with somebody in Uganda, pick somebody really dangerous like Joseph Kony's Lord's Resistance Army, instead of taking cheap shots at easy targets.

Whether you're in England or wherever, the USA controls the www, and what you can see on your computer screen is controlled by the laws, morals and customs of the USA. Wherever it comes from and wherever you are, the internet passes through filters in the USA that control what you can see because they are terrified of the US government's power to intervene.
There is plenty of tourism in certain countries in Africa. Uganda was swarming with tourists when I lived there. They didn't build expensive lodges for the locals! I'm visiting in January and I'll report back as to how many tourists I see.

Tanzania and Kenya get many tourists as well. People with money love to go on safaris and stay in posh lodges in the wild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2012, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,367,851 times
Reputation: 36094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
There is plenty of tourism in certain countries in Africa. Uganda was swarming with tourists when I lived there. They didn't build expensive lodges for the locals! I'm visiting in January and I'll report back as to how many tourists I see.

Tanzania and Kenya get many tourists as well. People with money love to go on safaris and stay in posh lodges in the wild.
There are maybe 3 or 4 countries that have a well-developed tourist structure for very, very rich tourists, but the rest of Africa rarely ever even sees a backpacker going through. Those rich tourists never see the part of Africa that is a place where human beings live day to day lives. Most countries in Africa are now charging $100 and up for a single entry tourist visa, so if you want to fly into Africa and spend a few weeks traveling around to several neighboring countries, it could cost you $500-1,000 just for visas.

"Travel" does not consist of flying to a desperately poor country in a Nieman Marcus safari outfit and looking at the country out the window of an air conditioned Range Rover or a 5-star hotel and tipping a smiling wine steward who resents you.

I'm getting mixed messages. One posters says No wonder nobody goes to Africa, and another saying Plenty of tourists are going to Africa.

Back to the main point, almost every country in Africa has customs and laws that are a great deal more brutal the the proposed Uganda law, and people are not interested enough in Africa to bother to go there and see what life is like for Africans. By circulating the reports of this particular law and drawing international attention to it, it is you yourself who are harming the prospects of African tourism.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-24-2012 at 06:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2012, 07:33 PM
 
4,800 posts, read 10,593,474 times
Reputation: 8290
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Back to the main point, almost every country in Africa has customs and laws that are a great deal more brutal the the proposed Uganda law, and people are not interested enough in Africa to bother to go there and see what life is like for Africans.
I think that is the key to their view on homosexuality. It's part of a broader backward cultural attitudes that really has little to do with evangelical christians. Sort of like some people blame islam for female circumcision in Africa but it really isn't about that religion, it is about a cultural attitude about women and sexuality that precedes Islam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2012, 05:03 AM
 
Location: Gorgeous Scotland
4,123 posts, read 4,754,837 times
Reputation: 3273
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There are maybe 3 or 4 countries that have a well-developed tourist structure for very, very rich tourists, but the rest of Africa rarely ever even sees a backpacker going through. Those rich tourists never see the part of Africa that is a place where human beings live day to day lives. Most countries in Africa are now charging $100 and up for a single entry tourist visa, so if you want to fly into Africa and spend a few weeks traveling around to several neighboring countries, it could cost you $500-1,000 just for visas.

"Travel" does not consist of flying to a desperately poor country in a Nieman Marcus safari outfit and looking at the country out the window of an air conditioned Range Rover or a 5-star hotel and tipping a smiling wine steward who resents you.

I'm getting mixed messages. One posters says No wonder nobody goes to Africa, and another saying Plenty of tourists are going to Africa.

Back to the main point, almost every country in Africa has customs and laws that are a great deal more brutal the the proposed Uganda law, and people are not interested enough in Africa to bother to go there and see what life is like for Africans. By circulating the reports of this particular law and drawing international attention to it, it is you yourself who are harming the prospects of African tourism.
I've only been to 3 countries in Africa but lived in one for 2 years, so I think I'm well-qualified to comment on the amount and type of tourists that Uganda gets. We bought a car while we lived there so toured much of the country. We even stayed in the posh lodges quite a few times. You don't have to be wealthy to visit, but there isn't a lot of middle ground. There are plenty of backpackers, lots of hostels or backpackers tents. There is public transport.

Agree they already had backwards attitudes to gays, but the American missionaries who came added fuel to the fire. Lots of fuel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2012, 06:00 AM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,209,382 times
Reputation: 11624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I've only been to 3 countries in Africa but lived in one for 2 years, so I think I'm well-qualified to comment on the amount and type of tourists that Uganda gets. We bought a car while we lived there so toured much of the country. We even stayed in the posh lodges quite a few times. You don't have to be wealthy to visit, but there isn't a lot of middle ground. There are plenty of backpackers, lots of hostels or backpackers tents. There is public transport.

Agree they already had backwards attitudes to gays, but the American missionaries who came added fuel to the fire. Lots of fuel.
If American missionaries are largely responsible for the anti-gay attitudes in Uganda, how does that explain that Uganda is the only Christian nation that executes, or will execute, gays while there's at least half a dozen Islamic nations across the world, plus the Muslim majority northern counties of Nigeria, that do execute gays? Are you gonna blame American Christian missionaries for that too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2012, 06:13 AM
 
Location: Gorgeous Scotland
4,123 posts, read 4,754,837 times
Reputation: 3273
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
If American missionaries are largely responsible for the anti-gay attitudes in Uganda, how does that explain that Uganda is the only Christian nation that executes, or will execute, gays while there's at least half a dozen Islamic nations across the world, plus the Muslim majority northern counties of Nigeria, that do execute gays? Are you gonna blame American Christian missionaries for that too?
No point in discussing it with you if you're going to twist what I said. I did not say the American evangelicals were responsible, I said they did their best to fuel an intolerant attitude that was already there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2012, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC (in my mind)
7,946 posts, read 15,063,020 times
Reputation: 4482
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I would get riled up about this, but is anyone really surprised? This is Africa we are talking about here. It is a continent of blood thirsty savages. Eventually they are going to breed themselves to a point where the other nations of the world can't feed them and they will die off in mass.
How open minded and tolerant you are...

Typical liberals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2012, 07:46 PM
 
5,368 posts, read 5,162,488 times
Reputation: 3314
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
How open minded and tolerant you are...

Typical liberals.
You should keep the liberal and conservative talk for the politics forum.

And why the hell should I be open minded to countries that kill people because of what consenting adults do in their bedrooms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top