Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 12:58 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,660,446 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I wanted to get your opinion on this documentary called Blue Gold. It sort of outlines the problem of water shortage. Hardest hit areas are Africa, Middle East and Central Asia...mostly Africa.

Blue Gold: World Water Wars (480p) (cc) - YouTube

Basically, what is the water situation like to the modern 'civilized' African? In these types of films we always see the developed nations portrayed as evil and greedy..and developing countries as poor and helpless. We see plenty of villages and huts and dirty faces..but what are wealthy Africans(particularly in Nigeria and Kenya) doing about this problem? Is it sort of like, "hey it's inevitable" or is there a genuine concern?

I know not all of Africa consists of undeveloped villages..

China has a lot of interest in Africa's resources...how about water?

I'm just curious for first-hand opinions.

I hope people on this board are actually FROM Africa or have a real relationship with Africa.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 02:40 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
I think the clock is ticking everywhere, water-wise. It's just that some regions will get hit with drought first. But we're all going to be cooked, sooner or later. The glaciers in Tibet are melting, so India and parts of China will be toast. The American Southwest is drying up. Maybe we should all try to move to Canada or Siberia.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:44 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think the clock is ticking everywhere, water-wise. It's just that some regions will get hit with drought first. But we're all going to be cooked, sooner or later. The glaciers in Tibet are melting, so India and parts of China will be toast. The American Southwest is drying up. Maybe we should all try to move to Canada or Siberia.
I think we should all kill ourselves. For the planet, of course

Old 12-25-2012, 04:46 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,660,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Well apparently it's on some people's agenda to kill off everyone, but them.

Talk about survival of the fittest.

But what about cultured, successful people living in Africa. Do you guys care? Or are you all much like rich people in China or US?

Old 12-25-2012, 06:23 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
It is not just a case of water running out ...
It is also a case of water waste going rampant !

Case in point.
When the drought *forced* people in the Los Angeles Area to use water prudently, they did comply (!!!) but at the expense of other factors. They actually *saved* more than they were expecting, until it went so far as the rates going up because the water companies *lost* money ...
The small town we lived in then, *made us* only water during certain times and threatened us to fine us if we let the water run out into the street. OK, fair request, no ?
But when you looked at how the city itself was watering the sidewalk areas that needed watering, *their* water was running into the street all the time. Their excuse - Non Potable water !
Not a good example even if it is non-potable water. Not everybody knew it really was non potable water, so there were big arguments about watering the lawns ...

Then people went back to *their old ways*.

Even in our daily use, most all of us *waste* a lot of water. IF you do not think so, analyse each water use you do at home, and note how you waste water. I can make a list a mile long of the waste of water *I* have ...
Think of how much water is being wasted commercially!

I think we as human beings have to learn how to use everything with prudence.
But how many of us really realise what that sentence means ?

In the end, I do still have some faith in mankind, but it will be a slow process of doing the right things.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:23 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Invested money in the rich world is more interested in selling plastic bottles of drinking water to Africans, than in preserving and developing their own sources of potable water. And therein lies the problem. Follow the money, and you will find the answers to all questions. Africa is still a resource for the rich to harvest, nothing economically has changed since the colonial era.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-26-2012 at 12:10 PM..

Old 12-26-2012, 03:11 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
plastic bottles of drinking water
The City management in our town has *prohibited* the use of water in plastic bottles at the City Hall ...

I only *heard* about it, but if people adhere to that suggestion, who knows !

Old 12-26-2012, 04:12 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
The City management in our town has *prohibited* the use of water in plastic bottles at the City Hall ...

I only *heard* about it, but if people adhere to that suggestion, who knows !
I bet they have a few water coolers all around with big glass jugs of bottled water on top of them, though. Does anyplace else ban plastic bottled water in downtown God's gift to Mankind for flying anything?

Old 12-26-2012, 05:21 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
We might not need to. If we get to be too much of a problem nature will have a way of sorting us out.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:38 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
New housing developments should have two plumbing systems; one that uses fresh water, one that uses recycled water. I heard there are parts of Australia that are like that, not sure...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa